Name the Olympic Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
roccol said:
Scratch Yashin and Zhamnov and give me V. Kozlov. Russia needs people with some size that will use it. This is a good team if all accept to play. I think Russia needs to find some better role players though. Too much flash on this squad. They can also drop the human speed machine who can't score in Afinogenov. I would much rather have Slava Kozlov or Kharitonov

Well actually Viktor Kozlov ... sucks, so he won't likely be part of the team.

And regarding Afinogenov, I fully agree with you, BUT Russia's coach is also the coach of Dynamo Moscow, and that's where Afinogenov played all of last year. He'll probably be on the team. Besides, I put him on my list because he finally seemed to start scoring at the end of the season, and especially at the Worlds. Showed some good chemistry with Malkin and Ovechkin.

As for Kharitonov, he should be on the top line with Datsyuk and Sushinsky, or at least that's what the coach says.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
big_steve said:
Have you even seen the guy play for Canada? Right now, I see him as a lock.

As much as I dislike Canada's hockey team, I gotta say that Gagne is a lock on this team if he's healthy. He thrives with the maple leaf on his chest, and his two-way game makes him a very valuable player. The point total is not so significant.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
roshiajin said:
Oh and the thing with the medal happened at the 1992 Olympics. He received his medal in 2002 though.
Yes, he was the 3rd goalie in 1992, played no game and the coach took his medal.

If I'm correct, he only got his medal back in 2002, BECAUSE he played at the Olympics for Russia in 2002. He had no intention to play for them, but we they offered him his old gold medal, he accepted to play. I highly doubt, he'll ever play again for them.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
djtino224 said:
I like your lineup better. I'm just afraid that USA hockey is going to go with the "old guard" for one last hurrah. The future should start now.

No chance. See Tony Amonte's comments when joining the Flames, the evaluation camp roster, the construction of the last two World Championship teams, the non-invite of Cammie Granato to the women's team, etc. The U.S. team will have some veterans, but it will mostly be a "younger" group. I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Dustin Brown on the team, especially if he starts out well this season.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Yeah he's so underrated, he had an outstanding 45 points last season and no one noticed!
I don't know how many times this has been said, but he played on the CHECKING LINE. His linemates had 22 points (54 games) and 30 points (74 games) respecitvely. He played their becase none of John Leclair, Jeremy Roenick, Tony Amonte, or Mark Recchi were capable of. The year before he was injured all season and the flyers medical staff missed diagnosed him (they thought he had a pulled groin, he actually had a hole in his abdamin). The last time Gagne played on a scoring line, he was 22 and still managed 33-33-66 in a defensive oriented system.

Not to mention the fact he's been on two of the most dominant team Canada lines of the past 10 years. But I guess that counts for nothing.

Hawkhead

Jun 5, 2004
Canada
www.kiekko.tk
That line for Finland is going to be so Killer!!!

T.Ruutu-Koivu-Lehtinen

Why did no one include Kukkonen or Karalahti in their teams (Finland)?

Gagne is one of the most overrated players, eh is good but not that good. Im sure there are tons of player who get 45 points who would play all their heart under the leaf. i.e. barnaby :D :yo:

That would be nuts :D

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
MAF said:
He had no intention to play for them, but we they offered him his old gold medal, he accepted to play. I highly doubt, he'll ever play again for them.

Listen, if you don't know what you're talking about it, avoid the subject. Making up stories about hockey players is pointless.

So. He accepted to play for Russia in 2002 not because of some medal, but because when he was little, his idol was Vladislav Tretiak. Khabibulin's dream had always been to win the gold medal at the Olympics, that's why he will never say "no" if he's named to Team Russia.

Now, Khabibulin expressed his desire to play at the Olympics already around a year ago.

The only question is : will he be invited? :help:

espo*

supreme_reverend said:
Oh yeah forgot about Blake, then elimate foote and put Blake in.
Heavens,don't eliminate Foote,eliminate any one of the d-guys but foote.............he's a rock.He's on the team garunteed.

espo*

roshiajin said:
As much as I dislike Canada's hockey team, I gotta say that Gagne is a lock on this team if he's healthy. He thrives with the maple leaf on his chest, and his two-way game makes him a very valuable player. The point total is not so significant.
You're going to absolutely hate our guts after Torino then. :)

silver_made*

12# Peter Bondra said:
Slovakia (depends if Palffy comes but he says he wont so Ill do without him)

Nagy-Stumpel-Bondra
Gaborik-Demitra-Hossa
Zednik-Handzus-Satan
Bartecko-Cibak-Orzsagh

Visnovsky-Strbak
Chara-Lintner (probably) (Id love to have Sekeras here but he wont play under the current coach)
Majesky-Suchy

Lasak
Stana
Budaj/Krizan

So the offence is probably set but the D isnt set yet

Kolnik deserves a spot, probably over orzsagh

RJ8812*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Yeah he's so underrated, he had an outstanding 45 points last season and no one noticed!

not bad numbers for being on the CHECKING LINE

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Gagne has played extremely well for Canada in the past, which has been publicly stated by Gretzky & company. This is how I think it will end up.

Lemieux-Sakic-Iginla
Gagne-Thornton-Nash
Richards-Lecavalier-St. Louis
Heatley-Yzerman-Bertuzzi
Doan

Tough decisions to leave Smyth and Draper off the team, but this is an awfully deep group. I think Heatley is on the outside looking in right now, but I believe he'll play his way onto this team by February. Anyone else will have to rely on injuries or have a monster start to the season to make the team.

Pronger-Blake
Niedermayer-Foote
Redden-Jovanovski
Regehr

I'd kind of like to see Bouwmeester as the spare because his skating could be great on the big ice, but these are the 7 d-men I think they will pick.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Hawkhead said:
That line for Finland is going to be so Killer!!!

T.Ruutu-Koivu-Lehtinen

Why did no one include Kukkonen or Karalahti in their teams (Finland)?

Karalahti should be there, but Kukkonen has to have a NA-breakthrough and some luck to make it. I am crazy about Kukkonen, but others aren't.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
silver_made said:
Kolnik deserves a spot, probably over orzsagh
Orzagh is great on the national team... If Kolnik has an incredible season playing on a first line, he might bump Lubos Bartecko out of the team.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
MAF said:
Yes, he was the 3rd goalie in 1992, played no game and the coach took his medal.

If I'm correct, he only got his medal back in 2002, BECAUSE he played at the Olympics for Russia in 2002. He had no intention to play for them, but we they offered him his old gold medal, he accepted to play. I highly doubt, he'll ever play again for them.

:biglaugh: You're so funny!!!

@ roshiajin: You can easily forget about Zhitnik and Kondratiev

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
mattihp said:
Orzagh is great on the national team... If Kolnik has an incredible season playing on a first line, he might bump Lubos Bartecko out of the team.
Agreed.

Kolnik = national team = bad

He was our worst attacker in the 2004 WC's and he sucked that year.

Orzsagh and Bartecko play with a lot of heart and both play very good on the national team.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Listen Gagne has a great chance to make the squad and he's a good 2-way player. But to say he's a ''lock'' is pretty far-fetched. I expect big things from him this year with Forsberg, but if he doesn't produce - he doesn't deserve to make team Canada, my team.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
monster_bertuzzi said:
Listen Gagne has a great chance to make the squad and he's a good 2-way player. But to say he's a ''lock'' is pretty far-fetched. I expect big things from him this year with Forsberg, but if he doesn't produce - he doesn't deserve to make team Canada, my team.

To say he's a lock is far-fetched when he's the best 2 way forward in the game? Uhm, okay then. He will be on Team Canada. Every time he's played for his country his play rises.

GothamRanger

Aug 9, 2005
Chicago, IL
djtino224 said:
I like your lineup better. I'm just afraid that USA hockey is going to go with the "old guard" for one last hurrah. The future should start now.

Where is the leadership on D? No Hatcher or Leetch? Leetch, regardless of age is the best US defenseman in the NHL. And how bout down the center? You need some experience. I think there is enough room to put in Weight, Hatcher, Leetch, Modano, Tkachuk and Roenick. Why do people think they are so ineffective?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
helicecopter said:
W-H-Y ? ? ? :shakehead
Because they play the best on the national team?

Sushinsky is no doubt one of the best snipers in europe and isn't crappy in backing down and helping in the middle of the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->