Name some players who you were just waiting to "screw up" a big game

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Big Phil, Sep 25, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Its funny how I came across this. I am watching the Packers/Bears game right now and I can't help but think about how Jay Cutler can never do anything right. There was an article last year in the Toronto Sun (prior to the NFC championship game where he was REALLY criticized) that labelled Cutler as a quarterback who the Bears fans are just "expecting" him to blow it somewhere during a big game. The same could easily be said about Tony Romo.

But what about hockey players? Who is a player who you just knew and expected to mess it up somehow at the end?

Here are a couple of mine off the top of my head.

Ron Hextall - You knew you couldn't win with this guy. He did great in 1987 and led the Flyers to one game from a Cup win but he did nothing after that to give you any confidence. Slowly but surely Hextall became a goalie in my mind who had a terrible knack for giving up untimely soft goals.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0TEcfluM9c

Eric Lindros - I don't know why, but although I was a fan of Lindros for quite some time and was cheering for him you always got the feeling he was never going to be "that guy" to lead you. I don't know if it was just a gut feeling but I never felt that way about him. Good examples are the 1995 and 1996 playoffs where he lost to teams that I felt he should have done better against. Then the 1997 playoffs where he played like a beast the first three rounds and then disappeared in the final. Also in the 2000 playoffs I never got the feeling he was going to be the difference maker when he came back against New Jersey. I was wrong, he was - for New Jersey - after being knocked out of the game.

There was also the 1996 World Cup and the 1998 Olympics. No, he didn't "screw" it up those times but he also didn't raise his game to the level they expected. In Game 2 of the 1996 World cup final in a game that would have cemented Canada as the superior hockey power in the world he looked so uninterested out there for some reason.

2. MadLuke

MadLuke Registered User

I was thinking no way the canuck win a cup with the Sedins, than completely change my mind in the 2009 playoff they were great.

Luongo this years, against the Hawks I think a lot of people were just waiting for him to "screw up" the serie.

I think people were waiting for Joe Thorton to not have great game in the olympics medal round, the Marleau-Thorton-Heatley was maybe the best trio in the league, but the Canada was just waiting for them to not dominate during the olympics I think.

For the Habs, Markov for the playoff and Plekanek for the regular season, he can have a beast first half of season and I just wait for him to slow down.

3. Skobel24

Skobel24 #Ignited

Attending University
    Luongo.

4. BraveCanadian

BraveCanadian Registered User

Awful lot of 20/20 hindsight going on here..

5. MadLuke

MadLuke Registered User

Yeah that's why I said people and not me in my message.

Because personnaly I was thinking that the Marleau-Thorton-Heatley would have been the number one line for Canada in Vancouver.

6. Iain Fyffe

Iain Fyffe Hockey fact-checker

Home Page:
    Indeed, and if you did in fact have the expectation beforehand you're rather open to confirmation bias. All you need is one bad game to "prove" your point, while you can safely ignore any other game in which the player plays well.

7. Rhiessan71

Rhiessan71 Just a Fool

Home Page:
    Leaf fans used to wait for Gill to screw up constantly.
    In fact, some of my Leaf friends used to actually call him "Give up the big game" Gill heh.

8. CloudReader

CloudReader Registered User

Jose Theodore when the Caps faced the Habs in the playoffs two years ago. Funny to watch, as he's screwed up for us in the past. Too bad we still lost that 2nd game lol.

9. Psycho Papa Joe

Psycho Papa Joe Porkchop Hoser

Forensic Accountant
    Home Page:
    Hate to say it, because I actually really felt bad for the guy and wished things had gone better, Jocelyn Thibault. Being traded for Roy and going to a very high pressure environment ruined what could have been a great career IMO.

Others were Rick Walmsley, Denis Herron, Michel Laroque and Richard Sevigny in the early 80's with the Habs.

10. vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov ugh

Home Page:
    i'll say this. i am a canucks fan and i want luongo to do well. but in the 2010 olympics, especially after the slovakia game, i KNEW he was going to let in that last minute goal to send it to OT in the gold medal game. you had to watch canucks games that season to know that luongo's concentration almost always wavered at the end of games. he lost so many shutouts that season because of it, but he was still winning games because the canucks were such a good team.

this last season, i was on edge the entire playoffs. especially because the team wasn't scoring much so most of the games were close. the series against nashville especially nearly killed me, especially after the (familiar) last minute goal in game 2. of course, the omnipresent threat of full-scale complete luongo meltdown also didn't help.

11. Killion

Killion Registered User

Cloutier & Luongo.

12. MadLuke

MadLuke Registered User

I think injury was what ruined is great career, did not see him play much but was he not one of the best in the league when playing with the Hawks ? Made them finish very high in the west by surprise one year if I remember correctly.

13. MadLuke

MadLuke Registered User

I will say some were just waiting for Kovy to "screw up" with the Devils.

14. McRpro

McRpro Call the rulebook!

I'm an Oilers fan but I always hated Tommy Salo. I told a friend before the '02 Olympics that he was gonna choke for Sweden. We had a good laugh about what ensued.

15. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Maybe in some cases, but I do agree for sure with Thornton and Luongo. You can read press clippings prior to playoff series where they have faltered. There is no arguing that Thornton has had that perception his entire career. Luongo has as well. No one sees them as the ultimate champions and they never prove anyone wrong.

16. Killion

Killion Registered User

Ya'll sufferin from Schadenfreude Big Phil?...

17. mco543

mco543 Registered User

Curtis Joseph when he was with Toronto. Not because he was bad or I disliked him or anything, in fact he's one of my favorite players ever but the way he would make saves just looked so awkward when he would go down to do anything, it just looked like a goal was always imminent to my young eyes.

18. Killion

Killion Registered User

I grew up in North York. Here ya. Are you aware of the fact that Toronto & Torontonians for the past 59yrs have been the subject of a "Mind Experiment"?... Unmarked DC-9's leaving nothing but Jet-Trails & mind altering drugs in the stratosphere right over top of the city?... As a child around York Mills & Bayview I sadly and tragically lived through it all. Years of multi-generational serial abductions at the hands of Ominous Grays... are you just waking up to these facts?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  19. Hardyvan123

Hardyvan123 [email protected]

He definitively is the 1st name that comes to mind and I have believed this for quite a while even before his meltdown in the finals this year.

People in Vancouver were falling over backwards trying to explain how he shook the monkey off his back with his Olympic gold which was a bit of a joke.

He was the guy in net and didn't really alter the outcome of any games in the Olympics, in fact his soft goals almost cost them a game against the Slovaks.

They might win a Cup with him in net, kinda like Osgood in Detroit, but the Corey Schneider watch is already on in Vancouver,

20. begbeee

begbeee Registered User

Pavol Demitra,

21. ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2 Registered User

22. BraveCanadian

BraveCanadian Registered User

Yeah, what a bum.

I could have won a 7 game series with only 8 goals for.. I know it.

Luongo only had 2 1-0 shutouts and a 3-2 OT win in the Stanley Cup Finals... pffft.. loser..

23. ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2 Registered User

When he's great, he's great. When he's bad, he's terrible. When it all comes down one game, you have no idea which will show up. In the Hawks series, it was the good Luongo. In the SCF, it was the bad one.

24. Iain Fyffe

Iain Fyffe Hockey fact-checker

Home Page:
    You mean that have not yet proven anyone wrong presumably? Their careers ain't over yet.

25. Psycho Papa Joe

Psycho Papa Joe Porkchop Hoser

Forensic Accountant
    Home Page:
    Overall he was a mediocre starter. He only played one playoff series with the Hawks and lost in the 1st round. The one year he did make the playoffs his save percentage was a mediocre .902, so it's not like he carried them to their suprise finish.

His career record is 238 wins and 238 loses and 4 and 11 in the playoff. Never posted great save percentages either, with a career mark of .904.

Not a horrible goaltender by any means, but he was nothing special and never carried a team to anything special.