Name some "off the board" players the Avs might want at 11th

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It’s well known that every team has a different draft board. If one team has shown that they have a much different board then others, it’s the Colorado Avalanche. They proved that last year when they grabbed Joey Hishon in round 1, 17th overall. Hishon was considered a mid-2nd round pick according to most at that time.

The Avs have two picks in round 1 at 2nd and 11th overall. There has been much debate over what they do at number 2, but I am also very intrigued to see what they could do at 11th overall come Friday. I figured I would start this up to see what other people might think about who they could be targeting if they decide to go “off the boardâ€. I’ve seen a lot of Duncan Siemens and Sven Bartschi being listed as going to the Avs but I wouldn’t be shocked if the Avs did something a bit more surprising.

It’s an established fact the Avs pick using a Best Player Available (BPA) strategy based off 3 things: Skill, Character and Compete.

Here are a few players I think could be targeted if the Avs decide to go a bit “off the boardâ€.

Daniel Catenacci – FW – OHL – Speed personified. The best wheels in the draft. Likely projects to be a Darren Helm type of player but he really does suit what the Avs seem to be after, speedy players with high character. Is ranked in the late 1st to early 2nd.

Philip Danault – FW – QMJHL – The captain of Victoriaville at the age of 17. A great skater with high end speed. Will go through a wall for his team. Some say he compares to Michael Bournival, a guy who the Avs drafted a couple of years ago before trading him to Montreal for Ryan O’Byrne this year. Is ranked mostly in the mid 2nd.

Nick Cousins – FW – OHL – Not a big player but he’s very well rounded. Has good hands and battles hard in the corners. Wouldn’t be shocked at all if the Avs were more interested in Cousins then most teams are. Is ranked mostly in the late 2nd and into the 3rd.

Connor Murphy – D – US NTDP – A big right handed defenseman that spent most of the year battling injuries. Is also the son of Gord Murhpy. Has pro size and had a very strong under 18 tournament this April as team USA won gold. Is ranked mostly in the late 1st and early 2nd.

Scott Mayfield – D – USHL – A huge defenseman that skates well and plays with a major edge. Also is a strong passer with some offensive upside hidden behind a very terrible team this past season. Is also a Denver recruit, which might help his cause. Is ranked mostly in the late 1st and early 2nd.

Boone Jenner – FW – OHL – Screams captain and leader at the NHL level. A terrible skating stride but manages to put up offensive totals despite that fact. Has drawn comparisons to the Avs Ryan O’Reilly. I guarantee the Avs have interest in this guy. Is ranked anywhere from the mid 1st to early 2nd.

Lucas Lessio – FW – OHL – A teammate of Jenner who seems to be an all round very solid player. Have heard concerns about his overall hockey sense and “mind†for the game. Has a very intriguing skillset that wouldn’t be missed by Avs scouts in my opinion. Is ranked anywhere from late 1st to early 3rd.

JT Miller – FW - US NTDP – Definitely not a huge “reach†as some of the others listed, but he is an intriguing player ranked later in the 1st round. Has drawn comparisons to a player like Ryan Kesler of Vancouver. Got size, defensive and offensive skills. Is ranked anywhere from mid 1st to early 2nd.

Jamie Oleksiak – D – Northeastern Univ. – A mountain at 6’7 and likely still room to grow. Dominated the combine physically and some of the testers there said he could possibly play at around 275 pounds. Not great either offensively or defensively but is more than competent in the two way game. Some people say he plays like Tyler Myers because of his skating, while he’s also drawn comparisons to an octopus because of his reach. Just like Miller, he’s also not necessarily a big reach at 11th overall. Is ranked anywhere from mid 1st to late 1st.

These are just a few players that I think the Avs could be targeting at 11th overall. With that being said, I still hope they are riding along with the ‘consensus’ and do nab a player like Duncan Siemens, Mark McNeill or someone who might fall like Mika Zibanejad or Ryan Strome.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2011/06/do-avs-go-off-board-at-11th-overall.html

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Some of those guys would be WAY off the board.

Colorado typically likes to picks kids who are really talented offensively and blessed with lots of tools with their picks in this area of the draft - Wolski, Stewart, Shattenkirk, Hishon, etc. My best ''off the board'' guesses would be Puempel, Jurco, Rattie, Jaskin, etc.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
i think jenner if they take larsson and oleksiak if they dont take larsson are possibilities...

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Oleksiak and Grimaldi could be someone they're looking at.

Also, in the draft special, didn't they in the very beginning mention that the O and the Dub was well represented for the #11? Outside of all the obvious guys, Joe Morrow might be a guy they have high. Played on the same team as Rutkowski, so we've definitely had scouts at many of his games and he's one of those PMD's we love. Another one might be Scheifele, but he is, imo, no longer an off the board pick at #11.

Miller seems like he fits the Avs mold, but I think we were one of the few teams that didn't even interview him. However, as much as we like the USNDP, maybe Murphy and his potential has elevated him on our list. We sure know that injuries don't affect the Avs draft rankings much.

Then there's also Danault. Captain material right there. Same with Jenner, who seems like a Radar clone.

All in all, this draft is just wide open, even at #11 it's impossible to guess which way we're going. We'll just have to withstand the torture six more days.

ct2111

Mar 29, 2009
Some of those guys would be WAY off the board.

Colorado typically likes to picks kids who are really talented offensively and blessed with lots of tools with their picks in this area of the draft - Wolski, Stewart, Shattenkirk, Hishon, etc. My best ''off the board'' guesses would be Puempel, Jurco, Rattie, Jaskin, etc.

Puempel would be my guess, too.

Oct 15, 2008
Jaskin.

But they would probably wait until 32 and see if he is still there.

To a lesser extent Biggs.

Some big winger who can score would be my guess.

Or possibly a goalie!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Jaskin.

But they would probably wait until 32 and see if he is still there.

To a lesser extent Biggs.

Some big winger who can score would be my guess.

Or possibly a goalie!

As mentioned, the Avs don't have 32nd. I wish! But 2nd and 11th is also nice!

Oct 15, 2008
They don't have 32, it went to STL as part of that mega deal.

SEPH, Stewart and Shattenkirk were dealt to shake things up more than anything else, not because they were disappointed in them like it was the case for Wolski.

Ah, I C. Well then that may make a reach for a big winger more likely.

Maybe they try to trade up from 11?

Has there been any talk of this?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
It would blow me away to see Cousins go that high.

I do like him as a prospect though. I'd love to see him go that high just for the shock factor lol

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I could see them picking Jurco/Phillips at 11. Puempel/Jensen would prob be in the mix as well. For a totally off the board pick I will go with Shane Prince

Pulkkinen

Elias Lindholm.
Apr 19, 2010
Barcelona.
twitter.com
Matthew Puempel.

His situation is very similar to Hishon. Both started the year very well positioned in the rankings, but had injuries and fell off the charts. Colorado saw the potential of Hishon and they can do the same with Puempel. He covers a team need, is a well-rounded offensive player, smart off the puck, skilled and adds a lot of scoring touch. His potential is undeniable. If he recovers in the same way, a partnership with Hishon is really intriguing and promising.

Another options maybe would be College players like Matthew Nieto or Nick Shore.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
I'm not sure if brett ritchie has character but if they end up with larsson at #2, they might want that potential top 6 powerforward they had in stewart. I remember reading something on here that he isn't a consistent powerforward though, so I have no clue if the avs scouts project him to be a pwf in the nhl, but if they do, maybe him at 11? Would make more sense if they just traded down(30, 39, bos 2012 1st?maybe?), but I wouldn't if bartschi was available.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
you never want to waste a #11 overall pick....i just can't see Mayfield, Connor Murphy, Catenacci, Lessio, etc. getting picked ahead of players like Oleksiak, Bartschi, McNeill, Siemens, guys like this. at 11, you really should just go with the best player available.

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
Nick Cousins?, dont think he'll go even in 3rd round :/ While i think they'll go with either Siemens or Bealieu, Oleksiak,Brodin,Mayfield,Morrow,Klefbom or Musil might interest them. But i dont think its likely that they will go with off board-pick.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
you never want to waste a #11 overall pick....i just can't see Mayfield, Connor Murphy, Catenacci, Lessio, etc. getting picked ahead of players like Oleksiak, Bartschi, McNeill, Siemens, guys like this. at 11, you really should just go with the best player available.

Yes I agree, but the point of this thread is that one teams list (ex Av's) is different than anothers. The Av's may have Puempel, Lessio ranked higher than Barstchi or McNeill. 10-30 there is no real drop off in talent

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

"Off the board" doesn't automatically mean a wasted pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad