Name players that have holdout leading to a trade (Kyle Turris)

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Roy is a bit over 20years. Told president he played his last game with habs and got traded.

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
Would Brendan lemieux count cause I'm not sure but didn't he say he had no interest in signing with the sabs?
If I'm wrong and I apologize :)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Would Brendan lemieux count cause I'm not sure but didn't he say he had no interest in signing with the sabs?
If I'm wrong and I apologize :)

Not a holdout because he merely requested a trade, rather than refused to play.

As for Nedved, he held out from Vancouver as well...oddly enough he'd go on to win Olympic silver for Canada after receiving his citizenship during the holdout. Janney indeed was compensation (along with a 2nd rounder used on Dave Scatchard)...the fact he demanded to stay in St. Louis bit him in the ass in a way few of us will ever be able to understand. Ultimately the Nedved holdout landed the Canucks Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan LaFayette on top of that 2nd round pick.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Keith Primeau did it twice. First when with Detroit and he was traded with Coffey to the Whalers for Shanahan . Then with the Hurricanes and he was traded to the Flyers for Brind'Amour.

Pronger -> Shanahan -> Primeau -> Brind'Amour -> 2006 cup.

So a couple of terrible trades at the beginning was salvaged by a great trade at the end which directly resulted in a cup for Carolina. Although Shanahan won his fair share in Detroit too.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Not a holdout because he merely requested a trade, rather than refused to play.

As for Nedved, he held out from Vancouver as well...oddly enough he'd go on to win Olympic silver for Canada after receiving his citizenship during the holdout. Janney indeed was compensation (along with a 2nd rounder used on Dave Scatchard)...the fact he demanded to stay in St. Louis bit him in the ass in a way few of us will ever be able to understand. Ultimately the Nedved holdout landed the Canucks Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan LaFayette on top of that 2nd round pick.

I'm curious.... How did janney's refusal to go to Vancouver end up biting him in the ass?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Keith Primeau held out but was signed before being traded at a later time.

Yashin simply held out for more cash despite being under contract, lost a year and had to make up the year to finish out contract terms. Not traded immediately.

Can't remember anyone since Turris.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Bill Guerin with the Devils: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/..._lamoriello-valeri-zelepukin-four-player-deal

Bill Guerin, who signed a contract with the New Jersey Devils only so he could play for the U.S. Olympic team this year, was traded to the Edmonton Oilers in a four-player deal that will bring highly regarded center Jason Arnott to New Jersey.

The move continues a trend by Devils General Manager Lou Lamoriello to ship disgruntled players elsewhere. But Lamoriello said no player can force a trade.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Who are some players from the last 15 - 20 years, whom have held out and not reported to their club... either because they were demanding a trade or a higher salary

Look at Travis Hamonic. Was it his character and morals which stopped him from sitting out to force his manager to move him

Are you surprised there aren't more trade demands every summer.

Hamonic is a little bit of a funny situation. He still played on the club for what was it, 2 years before being traded. He also didn't sit out games, so I'm not sure if he qualifies as a "hold out".

Dougie Hamilton for instance wouldn't sign a deal with the Bruins before offer sheeting was an option and was traded for that reason. He didn't miss any games, so I'm not entirely sure if he fits the criteria, but there was to a certain extent a hold out in terms of signing a contract and thus he was traded for that reason.

Jacob Trouba I'm not sure if he fits. I feel like he's currently in a sign and wait for trade situation, but I'm not entirely sure either.

I thought the question was straight forward, but then realized there seemed to be different facets to each situation such as games missed, personal reasons for trade, expectation for trade, traded due to disagreements on contract etc.

I'm curious whether the OP definition includes players whose rights were traded after being drafted because they didn't sign:

- Tim Erixon
- Brandon Hickey

Are a few from Calgary. There's been a few others (ie: college agents) such as Vesey who IMO may qualify as well as their rights were traded.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I remember reading a stat a couple years ago about players that either hold-out or go to salary arbitration. About 75% get traded within 2 years. It is hard to build a long term relationship between a player and management when contract talks get ugly.

I think the OP is defining when the trade happened too narrowly. Open it up to a year or two and most of them end up moving.
Johansen, Subban, Drouin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad