Name players that have holdout leading to a trade (Kyle Turris)

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Who are some players from the last 15 - 20 years, whom have held out and not reported to their club... either because they were demanding a trade or a higher salary

Look at Travis Hamonic. Was it his character and morals which stopped him from sitting out to force his manager to move him

Are you surprised there aren't more trade demands every summer.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Petr Nedved held out with the Penguins before being dealt to the Rangers for Alex Kovalev...pretty sure Nedved regretted that pretty badly by the end (eventually signed for less than the Penguins initially offered, he lost a year+ of wages, and would only play in a single playoff series the remainder of his NHL career). The Pens got a better player for not caving, at least.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Blake Wheeler
Jimmy Vesey
Kevin Hayes

No holdouts on that list.

Not 15-20 years ago, but a little more. Steve Larmer. Which just shows that holdouts and "class" have little to do with each other, since Larmer is one of the "classier" players in history

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't understand the association between holding out and class.

There are two different types of holdouts. The ones referred to in the title like Kyle Turris' and Jacob Trouba's which were (restricted) free agents exercising their right not to sign a contract, that has nothing to do with a lack of class. It's a young player using the only leverage they have other than an offer sheet.

The other type of holdouts, don't happen anymore, which are players holding out to having contracts they previously signed re-negotiated. I can see how people might associated these type of holdouts with a lack of class.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Petr Nedved held out with the Penguins before being dealt to the Rangers for Alex Kovalev...pretty sure Nedved regretted that pretty badly by the end (eventually signed for less than the Penguins initially offered, he lost a year+ of wages, and would only play in a single playoff series the remainder of his NHL career). The Pens got a better player for not caving, at least.

He held out in Vancouver as well

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The other type of holdouts, don't happen anymore, which are players holding out to having contracts they previously signed re-negotiated. I can see how people might associated these type of holdouts with a lack of class.

There's also holding out with a signed contract in hopes of a trade. I wouldn't say it never happens anymore. Drouin to some degree tried this when he refused to report to the AHL and demanded a trade.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Holdout that led trade of another player:

Curtis Joseph was holding out early 1995-96 as Oilers had Ranford. In the end it was Ranford who was traded and Joseph joined the team.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Doug Gilmour.

As far as I know he was still playing with Calgary when he was traded to the Leafs.

Speaking of Kingston players, for the Islanders once again that asshat Kirk Muller. As an Islanders fan I at least get the logic why Lafontaine wanted to be traded and don't hold any ill will but Muller was under contract when he did it.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
As far as I know he was still playing with Calgary when he was traded to the Leafs.

Speaking of Kingston players, for the Islanders once again that asshat Kirk Muller. As an Islanders fan I at least get the logic why Lafontaine wanted to be traded and don't hold any ill will but Muller was under contract when he did it.

Well, sort of. He walked out on the team in February and never played for them again.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Well, sort of. He walked out on the team in February and never played for them again.

I could be wrong here but I remember that trade happening while I was watching the World Jr Championships(the Toronto-Calgary one at least)

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Brendan Morrison and Patrik Elias held out prior to the 1999-2000 season. Morrison was coming of a good rookie season and his holdout rubbed Lou Lamoriello the wrong way.

Morrison was traded later that season along with Denis Pederson to Vancouver in exchange for Alexander Mogilny.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The famous Eric Lindros. Surprised no mentions although he does slightly miss the 15-20 year cutoff

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Brendan Morrison and Patrik Elias held out prior to the 1999-2000 season. Morrison was coming of a good rookie season and his holdout rubbed Lou Lamoriello the wrong way.

Morrison was traded later that season along with Denis Pederson to Vancouver in exchange for Alexander Mogilny.

Pederson himself held out as well. Those hold outs opened up spots for Gomez-Madden which ended up making Morrison-Pederson expendable.

Practically every Devil seemed to have a holdout back in the day when it was more normal. The CBA was updated to the point where it doesn't benefit players to hold out (ie, Trouba last season).

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Even if the holdout player signs in the end often it seems to be the beginning of the end, the players relationship with the team is damaged beyond repair

Recent examples are Subban and Johansen (and drouin maybe)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad