Name one player (retired) You wish you had seen play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Name one player (retired) You wish you had seen play live.

Is there one player that you always wanted to see but never did? Was it because there was no NHL in your part of the world? Or was it because you were to young to have ever seen him play? Or did you just plain miss out.

The one player I would love to have seen has got to be Jean Beliveau. The guy was great. My dad always tells me about him. He was a big boy who could do it all and made it look easy. All the things I have heared and read about him leave me in complete awe. I would love to just shakee his hand. He reprsented Hockey, The Montreal Canadiens organization with such dignity that no one since has managed to attain.

There are others that I would love to see, many of them from the 60's but Le Gros Bill tops my list.

Over to you...

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Jacques Plante said:
There are others that I would love to see, many of them from the 60's but Le Gros Bill tops my list.

This makes me feel old. I can remember seeing an old, fat Rocket Richard on TV. I'd have to find someone from a generation before - Howie Morenz, I guess.

I actually saw Jean Beliveau live in Vancouver in an exhibition game. I also attended a lecture by him with my Dad. He came out and gave a little speech, showed some film and took questions.

(The ones I remember most were about Jacques Plante. "Why does Toe Blake let him leave the net like that? He's going to get burned for sure." and "Do the players think he is a wuss for wearing the mask?" Beliveau was very diplomatic.)

What has really changed over time is his image. He was always seen as a class guy - and he was - but the years have turned him into a perfect gentleman, which he definitely was not. He was big and very strong and very mean. He played a lot like Mark Messier.

Tom

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
I would have loved to see Bobby Orr, and more of Ray Bourque's career. I would have also loved to have seen Mike Bossy in the early 80's. And for sure, Beliveau's up there, with Rocket Richard, Tim Horton, etc. There were so many I missed. :cry:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
jean beliveau
guy lafleur
mike bossy
bobby orr
gordie howe
valeri kharlamov
vladislav tretiak

main guys i wish i had a chance to see.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
pavel said:
Beat me to him. Excellent choice.

There are so many excellent choices here. BTW I really like your avatar.

So far alot of superstars have been mentioned but I wonder if anyone will post a player of a lesser role. Like a tough guy or a grinder, or just some guy that's caught your eye today for no particular reason.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Being a little older, I have seen some greats, but I never saw Jean Beliveau, Rocket Richard or Henri Richard play live that I can remember.

I also wish I could have seen Bobby Hull as a Blackhawk.

GabbyDugan

Jun 8, 2004
I don't think these guys are necessarily All-Time best players, but I would have like to see them because they are legends.

Goal: Georges Vezina..he never missed a game for something like 15 years, played on five championship teams, fathered over twenty children, and died at the age of 38 (1888-1926)

Defense: Bill Barilko...started a pro career with the Hollywood Wolves, won four Stanley Cups by the time he was 24...well..you know the rest...
Eddie Shore...must have been one mean player (almost killed Ace Bailey),was definitely the meanest guy ever to run a hockey team when he ran the Springfield Indians...just another typical Edmonton boy...

Center: Herb Carnagie... he deserved a chance back in the early 1950's, but never got one... with his hockey schools and more, he has given hockey a lot more than it ever gave him.

Right Wing...Howie Meeker circa 1946-47 ...the NHL Rookie of the Year when Gordie Howe broke into the NHL, he was 55 27 18 45 76 in the regular season, 11 3 3 6 6 in the playoffs....never scored more than 20 goals in a season again...golly gee whiz, Howie, what happened???

Left Wing....Frank Fredrickson...(or maybe Fred "Cyclone" Taylor, but I think he was the "Rover"...anyways, whichever one was the left winger on the last Vancouver team to win the Stanley Cup...the 1915 Millionaires (even though they only got $ 300 each for winning the Stanley Cup)....they destroyed Ottawa 6-2, 8-3, and 12-3 that year in the final...

High flyin' Habs*

I would have loved to see Maurice "Rocket" Richard, Guy LaFleur, Wayne Gretzky and Mario in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->