Name a fight that was a coming out party for a tough guy

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In other words, which fight is often credited with a player becoming a feared fighter across the NHL? Here are some.

- Clark Gillies beating up Dave Schultz in the 1975 playoffs. While the Flyers still won the Cup and were still the Broad Street Bullies, I think it put the rookie Gillies on the map as a guy no one wanted to test afterwards. Not too many did afterwards either. Gillies never had 100 PIM in a season

- Chara "rag dolling" McCabe. Maybe this is a personal choice but it was almost a David vs. Goliath showdown. As a Leaf fan we hate the Sens but it was almost as if in that fight that Chara just felt like making a statement. I know that I never thought the same of him afterwards. It really looked like a man throwing around a little boy on the playground and McCabe is no wimp either
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcGeQ1LN2MI

Stan Jonathan taking on Pierre Bouchard in the 1978 final. Is it possible that Bouchard was considered replaceable after this fight since he was traded from Montreal after this season?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPfQ-wfWWA

If we had the footage, I am sure Gordie Howe breaking Lou Fontinato's face in 1959 would be up there. Although Gordie was feared before that as well. Maurice Richard knocking Bob Dill out in 1945 would be another one.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Kocur knocking out Kyte was a pretty defining moment.

Darren McCarty's lopsided affair with Cam Russell. Although I guess he's true defining moment was the fight with Claude.

Probert vs. Coxe during Proberts rookie season. He was a monster on skates. In fact that whole season was defining for Probert.

Lead Role in a Cage

Mar 27, 2008
I don't know how Larry Robinson was perceived in terms of fighting before the bout but him beating the crap out of Schultz seems to have eased things a bit for the Canadiens at that time.

And perhaps he was never feared but Domi fighting Probert seemingly did wonders for his career.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Gino Odjick, wearing number 66?, in his first NHL game with the Canucks fought Dave Mansona and Stu Grimsom. I think Manson got the better of him but held his own with Grimson, not bad for a 21 year old in his 1st NHL Game

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
In other words, which fight is often credited with a player becoming a feared fighter across the NHL? Here are some.

- Clark Gillies beating up Dave Schultz in the 1975 playoffs. While the Flyers still won the Cup and were still the Broad Street Bullies, I think it put the rookie Gillies on the map as a guy no one wanted to test afterwards. Not too many did afterwards either. Gillies never had 100 PIM in a season

- Chara "rag dolling" McCabe. Maybe this is a personal choice but it was almost a David vs. Goliath showdown. As a Leaf fan we hate the Sens but it was almost as if in that fight that Chara just felt like making a statement. I know that I never thought the same of him afterwards. It really looked like a man throwing around a little boy on the playground and McCabe is no wimp either
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcGeQ1LN2MI

Stan Jonathan taking on Pierre Bouchard in the 1978 final. Is it possible that Bouchard was considered replaceable after this fight since he was traded from Montreal after this season?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPfQ-wfWWA

If we had the footage, I am sure Gordie Howe breaking Lou Fontinato's face in 1959 would be up there. Although Gordie was feared before that as well. Maurice Richard knocking Bob Dill out in 1945 would be another one.

Just a note about Bouchard. He wasn't traded away, but was lost in a waivers screw-up by Irving Grundman, the 1st sign of things to come from the new Habs GM.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
engelland.gif

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Fergy's first shift when he jumped Ted Green seconds after the opening faceoff?

1968 playoffs, remember it well.

My choice though is Wayne Cashman beating Orland Kurtenbach in G3 of the 1970
Bruins-Rangers series, huge fight for Cashman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->