OT: Nail Yakupov

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Curious how Nail's been doing, how yall feel about him, what you see good/bad/weird/whatever with him, etc. One of the more interesting guys in the league imo and a really fun guy to interview from the videos I've watched. Alright gang, have at it!

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We should hire him as team motivator. He'd not play hockey ever again, but he could stay behind the bench and make jokes in the locker room.

Reactions: missionAvs and cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I really like Yak, think Eakins completely ruined him as a hockey player. Would love it if he could figure out how to be a Grabner type player.
I think we are past hoping he will get better one day. It's over now.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Yakupov has so much talent, but seems lost. Would like to seem him play more, but with so many recent game scratches, he's likely done with the team. Don't understand why offensively challenged Toninato is playing ahead of him though...

Hoping he comes back for another season. Yet, with so many young forwards ie. Kamenev, Bowers etc. and a few more after the next 2 drafts, expect him to be done after this season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think Eakins or the Oilers really ruined him, though based on what I've heard/read the organization didn't treat him very well (including a guy who may have been the worst NHL captain of all time, Andrew Ference).

No, he just isn't good enough. Speed and raw talent is there, hockey IQ is nonexistent. I wish him well on the next phase of his career, but it's clear now that he's not NHL material in any way, shape, or form.

And we are well past the "I hope he turns into a role player" phase.

Reactions: Balthazar

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Maybe he can carve out a career in Europe/Russia where his speed and talent can overcome his lack of IQ, but it just isn’t happening. Too bad. He’s a likeable guy and someone you want to see put it together.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
After his early start, I really hoped that we could find a way to use him effectively to cover his weaknesses and get some secondary scoring out of him. But he went ice cold, was terminally ineffective, and now isn't playing anymore. I really wanted him to succeed, but nothing I think will save his NHL career now. If there's no room for him on the roster this year, there sure as shit won't be any next year.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
It's more than the fact he's stupid at hockey, he has issues with his fundamentals. No concept of board play, struggles to control passes, has problems with regards to handling the puck. Strongly disagree with the idea that he is just a guy that doesn't understand the game.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What I can’t figure out is why we can’t even get rookie level yak. I didn’t watch much of him then, but he posted complementary top 6 player numbers at 19. What’s so different now?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What I can’t figure out is why we can’t even get rookie level yak. I didn’t watch much of him then, but he posted complementary top 6 player numbers at 19. What’s so different now?

It's been a while but I seem to remember him getting a lot more shots on net. Like he'd just let it rip the minute he entered the zone. That's what first got my attention about the guy, his one-timer back then was just an effing cannon. That's what was so frustrating--he'd be a relatively productive player if he just pulled a Mikael Samuelsson and just did nothing but shoot it, but he can't even really do that well.

Reactions: cgf

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
He had six goals in the last three games that season during garbage time which really made his totals look better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad