Nail Yakupov

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
If you ignore the Russianness, Yak >> Eberle...

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/8/17/4631392/nail-yakupov-2-in-the-top-25-under-25

Copper and Blue's authors (Oilers version of AIH) voted Yak as #2 under 25... that's ahead of Eberle, Gagner and RNH

Things have changed since then, and I really don't like having him as #2 even in August. Hall is clearly the best Oiler, there is really no denying that. RNH is better than Yakupov offensively and miles better than him defensively. I could easily see the argument for Eberle over him too, very similar players. Yakupov has more speed, physicality and a better shot, I think Eberle is the smarter player. Better play-maker and passer by far.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It would take a lot, maybe Byfuglien + 1st? as Jet said, but I 'd do it easily.

'Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice, shame on me'
Chevy would never take this (Yakupov) risk after the Burmi debacle and if he did, the fans should demand a psychiatric examination.:naughty:

The overvaluing of Jet players and undervaluing of Yakupov in this thread is crazy.
Byfuglien is not being overvalued on this forum, he is beginning to be severely undervalued. This is coming from someone who was pushing to trade him last year, when most were overrating him. If you can't get low-risk, top-notch value for a top-pairing D, you don't trade him at all.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
My issue isn't so much his talent but its the fact that he seems to have a problem with paying his dues and learning how to play without the puck. On a team like the Jets with Noel he is going to have to play defense to get offensive looks much like what Scheifele is going through ATM. If he's already getting his agent involved when Edmonton is trying to round out his game what is going to happen when he comes here and quickly plays his way into Noel's dog house? Are we going to see his agent blast us in the paper, state he'd be open for a trade etc. I really don't want that type of distraction on this team.

Well said. As much as I'd welcome a talent like Yakupov, I think you've explained it pretty well here.

Aela*

I don't want him. Right now he isn't an elite winger, he's a question mark. You don't trade people like Buff for question marks. Bogo, maybe, and I could see a straight up deal working. But that's about it. Even if we do get him he won't propel us into the playoffs.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I brought this up on the Oilers board several days ago. Some considerations:

-on the one hand he's not as high a flight risk as you'd think. He played junior hockey in north America for two years, and seems pretty set on playing in the NHL. His English seems stronger than Burmi's was

-on the other hand the Oilers are up against the cap. Don't let a quick review of cap geek fool you - their "young guns" are due some significant bonus payments that they are likely to make. In order to sign Bryzgalov for a modest amount they had to trade away Smid for prospects. So Buf for Yak would not work - the Oilers would need to shed some salary before taking on Buf's contract (and he does have a No Trade clause).

As mentioned I don't see Noel putting up with Yak's defensive shortcomings any more than Eakins is. So while a deal is certainly intriguing (the kid does have mad skillz offensively) I don't think it's happening, as far as Winnipeg is concerned.

Sorry but this is incorrect.. None of the Oilers' young guns have a shot at any Schedule B bonuses. Arcobello has a shot at Calder but that is about it. Very unlikely that it will happen. Only RNH has a shot at ScheduleA bonuses (35A, 60pts) I dont see anyone else producing much. J.Schultz has a shot to get 40pts.
The Oilers did not need to trade away Smid to sign Bryzgalov. They had plenty cap space.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I don't want him. Right now he isn't an elite winger, he's a question mark. You don't trade people like Buff for question marks. Bogo, maybe, and I could see a straight up deal working. But that's about it. Even if we do get him he won't propel us into the playoffs.

You don't trade either of Buff or Bogo for question marks.

But why would Bogo be a maybe? Buff has 2 years left on his deal. Bogo has 6. Bogo's value to the Jets is much higher than Buff's.

Aela*

But why would Bogo be a maybe? Buff has 2 years left on his deal. Bogo has 6. Bogo's value to the Jets is much higher than Buff's.

Because Bogo is more of a question mark than Buff. He's almost as much as a question mark as Yakupov is.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Guy

Yup, the Jets didn't give the longest deal in team history to move it 20 games in. He also was given a NMC which probably came with a handshake agreement that he wouldn't be moved before the clause was allowed to kick in.

Also why would you want to trade a dependable defensive rock that has shown he can shutdown top opposition and score at a solid clip for a one dimensional goal scorer. This isn't even taking into account that Bogosian loves it here and is one of our best player ambassadors. He is perhaps the last player on this team that I trade. I get that he got off to a ruff start but he's been rounding back into form lately.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Because Bogo is more of a question mark than Buff. He's almost as much as a question mark as Yakupov is.

Sorry, I couldn't disagree with you more. Bogo is not a question mark. He is most likely not going to become a #1, but he is already a defenseman that is capable of playing 23 plus minutes a night. He's already a solid #3, and a potential #2.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
As far as I am concerned from looking at the game logs, Yakupov/Larionov's complaining is beyond premature. Nail has dressed for 17 of 19 games, his last and only healthy scratches were in games 5 & 6. And in the 17 games he has played, his minutes haven't even been that bad all things considered.

I say suck it up and earn your stripes.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Sorry, I couldn't disagree with you more. Bogo is not a question mark. He is most likely not going to become a #1, but he is already a defenseman that is capable of playing 23 plus minutes a night. He's already a solid #3, and a potential #2.
I agree with this. You don't have to put up points to be a good defensemen, Bogo plays well, he's had a few shaky games but that happens sometimes.

As for the topic, I do not want to see Nail Yakupov in a Jets jersey, we already have Kane who, after 2.5 seasons, is FINALLY starting to play a two-way and team game. Nail adds nothing to our team at this point.

Buff for Yakupov straight up is laughable, you don't trade your arguably top defenseman for an unproven player.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
And there is the problem. As a GM you just can't ignore the Russianness. First time his contract is up, is it going to be "double / triple my money or I'm going home"? Before I would make a trade for Yak, he would have to convince me some how that he's committed to the NHL for the long haul.

Mhmm. That's why I said it. :)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Things have changed since then, and I really don't like having him as #2 even in August. Hall is clearly the best Oiler, there is really no denying that. RNH is better than Yakupov offensively and miles better than him defensively. I could easily see the argument for Eberle over him too, very similar players. Yakupov has more speed, physicality and a better shot, I think Eberle is the smarter player. Better play-maker and passer by far.

Most of those guys are still *very* high on #yakcity

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If they wanted to make a trade they would probably want Kane or Ladd in return. They need size in there top 6.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

So what? He's a young player with top line potential. You wouldn't be trading for a guy that will help you now but down the road is useless. You'd be trading for a guy that could help you now and for years to come.

I would stay far away from Yakupov.
He is the Oilers problem.

He has KHL bound written all over him.

That's what happens when coaches run players out of town.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't feel overly strongly either way.

I'd flip Buff for him, but i find it unlikely.

Sure he's not really "living up" to being #1 overall, but there literally isn't something "higher" to be trying to live up to.

He has elite talent. He probably will become an elite forward. He had a solid solid year as a rookie. he's sucking on a team that's sucking.

Now, all that being said, I'm not advocating fro the trade (neither would i grab the pitchforks if it happened) but when you consider age, potential, possible longevity with the organization and "pedigree", he's probably still worth a lot.

Look how much Erik Johnson returned in trade and he was much farther a long the "bust" path then Nail is.

I'd be suprised if we could get it done for buff + only a small amount. That being said, I can't really see the org being willing to pony up much more then that.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
:teach:
Why don't you guys offer Burmi rights to EDM for someone else or Draft picks?
Discuss
I actually proposed such a trade on the main board:
Buff + Burmi's rights, for
Yakupov plus Gagner
The ONLY way I could imagine Chevy trading for Yakupov was to get the Burmi problem off the books in exchange. Plus, I think Gagner could be a very good 2C in Wpg if he were surrounded by wingers who were complimentary to him, ie, big and defensively sound.

The result of this proposal:Lets just say I am not very popular amongst HF Oiler fans:D

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think we'd be a good trade partner for the Oilers because we're trying to compete and we don't have the depth to give them what they'd want for Yakupov without making our team worse right now.

I'd offer them Wheeler for Yakupov and the right to swap 1st rounders with the Oilers in either of the 2014 or 2015 drafts. It would make our team worse right now, but perhaps put a couple building blocks in place to contend in the near future.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
As a jets fan, this forum seems to be waaaaaay over-valuing our own players. Any one of Buff, Bogo or Ladd would almost definitely be worth swapping out for a developing Yakupov. Once you consider wage, age and years of club control the gap widens even further.

I doubt many Edmonton fans would even humour these offers. Even with a decent pick.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As a jets fan, this forum seems to be waaaaaay over-valuing our own players. Any one of Buff, Bogo or Ladd would almost definitely be worth swapping out for a developing Yakupov. Once you consider wage, age and years of club control the gap widens even further.

I doubt many Edmonton fans would even humour these offers. Even with a decent pick.

Or maybe Yakupov is the one who is being over valued. Ladd is a former top 5 pick himself who finished 5th overall in LW scoring last year and is once again holding down the 5th overall spot this year all the while bringing a physical and strong two-way game. If you ask me Yakupov will be lucky to turn into the player Ladd is right now and that isn't meant to be any slight against him. I just don't think people appreciate what we have in Ladd. Why would you trade for a maybe player when you have an exceptional player who is developed. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just saw Yak on TSN. Wants more and more ice time. Obviously thinks he is privileged and should just play unlimitedly without earning anything or even playing well. Off to the KHL eventually? :dunno:

The NHL is a veteran league. Unless you are tearing it up from game #1, you have to earn your stripes.

So much more like Scheifele's attitude, than this guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->