Nail Yakupov

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I brought this up on the Oilers board several days ago. Some considerations:

-on the one hand he's not as high a flight risk as you'd think. He played junior hockey in north America for two years, and seems pretty set on playing in the NHL. His English seems stronger than Burmi's was

-on the other hand the Oilers are up against the cap. Don't let a quick review of cap geek fool you - their "young guns" are due some significant bonus payments that they are likely to make. In order to sign Bryzgalov for a modest amount they had to trade away Smid for prospects. So Buf for Yak would not work - the Oilers would need to shed some salary before taking on Buf's contract (and he does have a No Trade clause).

As mentioned I don't see Noel putting up with Yak's defensive shortcomings any more than Eakins is. So while a deal is certainly intriguing (the kid does have mad skillz offensively) I don't think it's happening, as far as Winnipeg is concerned.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
No thanks, he has no heart at all and very lazy - I see him in Edmonton every night, he is not worth buff, and I hate buff

I definitely wouldn't say he has "no heart". He does - you don't get as successful as has has been without having heart.

But defensively he is terribly lazy, for sure. He could get away with it his entire career to date, so in some respects you can't blame him for it. But that **** won't fly in the NHL.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I could see the benefit to having a Russian on the team in order to lure Burmi back, which I think will happen regardless.

Postma and a 2nd is for Yak is good.

Anything more is not worth it

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
i guess i'm not nearly as sold on Yakupov as some here. I think he is incredibly one dimensional and if they wanted either Bogo or buff, Edmonton would be adding.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I agree with this. Eberle holds much more value to the Jets than Yakupov, I think.

I know that this is the common sentiment but I find it very interesting. Eberle is every bit as much of a "floater" as Yakupov is, but Yak has something Ebs doesn't, an elite shot and high end speed.

Last year Yakupov lead the Oilers in goals.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Yakupov isn't the first 19-20 year old who is a trainwreck defensively. He's got the tools to be a stud offensively, defensive play can be taught. I'd definitely take him, and as far as I am concerned as poor as we are defensively, we could use another legit top 6 offensive forward today and in the future as things appear right now.

It would take a lot, maybe Byfuglien + 1st? as Jet said, but I 'd do it easily.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If you ignore the Russianness, Yak >> Eberle...

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/8/17/4631392/nail-yakupov-2-in-the-top-25-under-25

Copper and Blue's authors (Oilers version of AIH) voted Yak as #2 under 25... that's ahead of Eberle, Gagner and RNH

And there is the problem. As a GM you just can't ignore the Russianness. First time his contract is up, is it going to be "double / triple my money or I'm going home"? Before I would make a trade for Yak, he would have to convince me some how that he's committed to the NHL for the long haul.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
And there is the problem. As a GM you just can't ignore the Russianness. First time his contract is up, is it going to be "double / triple my money or I'm going home"? Before I would make a trade for Yak, he would have to convince me some how that he's committed to the NHL for the long haul.

His agent is Igor Larionov. Most of his clients stay in the NHL.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
The overvaluing of Jet players and undervaluing of Yakupov in this thread is crazy.
He is one year removed from being a #1 overall pick, is still developing and people wouldn't trade Buff or pizza man Bogo for him?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not a guy I would trade a core piece for. Entirely too one dimensional with no commitment to play defense.

Plus, he's a risk to go to the KHL whether people want to admit it or not. Burmi said he never wanted to play there either. Kovy had a big contract in the NHL. Both went to the KHL. When Yak's ELC is up and he doesn't get big NHL bucks but has a massive offer from the KHL, what happens then?

Bogo? That's laughable. Have to really laugh at the guy here who want to trade Bogo, our 1st (which is likely to be top 10) AND one of our top prospects for Yak. That's a package that gets you a STAR centre that plays BOTH ends of the ice, and is locked up for long time. Actually, that's MORE than what that would cost as BOTH Richards and Carter went for less.

If the Oilers were interested in something around Buff, then maybe the Jets can take that risk. Otherwise, no thanks to overpaying.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I would be interested IF it was Buff for Yakupov + a conditional pick (we have to be able to resign him).

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
The overvaluing of Jet players and undervaluing of Yakupov in this thread is crazy.
He is one year removed from being a #1 overall pick, is still developing and people wouldn't trade Buff or pizza man Bogo for him?

Well there are those who are buying into hope, and those who are evaluating the evidence in front of them.

Patrick Stefan was also a #1 draft pick by this organization. He developed to the point of retirement.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My issue isn't so much his talent but its the fact that he seems to have a problem with paying his dues and learning how to play without the puck. On a team like the Jets with Noel he is going to have to play defense to get offensive looks much like what Scheifele is going through ATM. If he's already getting his agent involved when Edmonton is trying to round out his game what is going to happen when he comes here and quickly plays his way into Noel's dog house? Are we going to see his agent blast us in the paper, state he'd be open for a trade etc. I really don't want that type of distraction on this team.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
This guy is an extremely talented player. He also however has shown near-zero effort on the defensive side of the game; good defensive play is at a premium in the West though, it is mandatory. I'm guessing the Jets management would laugh out loud in private at some of the proposal suggestions in this thread. Buff? Hah. If Buff is traded you can be sure it will be in exchange for someone more well-rounded (pun intended).

There may be teams willing to take the risk to acquire this kid... but I also doubt the Jets would fall into that category, given that they've very few assets to begin with. They don't have enough depth in other words to justify the risk.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Have not always been a big Buff fan - he is what he is - but I like him a little more this year and would keep him over the Nail. The Nail, at the current rate, projects for about 20 points and -56 this year. He clearly is better -talent wise- than those numbers project - but where are his head and heart?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Hmm, I'm with ya. I would do Buff or Bogo for Yak. Not that I dislike either of them.

I agree with the overvaluing thing; all fans do it. We love who's on our team...because they're on our team. If we had gotten the Coyotes franchise instead of Atlanta we'd be gushing about OEL and...ummm..:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad