NAHL East

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Someone posted on another site a few weeks back that New Jersey was not coming back.
I was hoping that Johnstown would move up to the USHL, but would need a few others teams in the East to help out.
At one time I though Wheeling, Elmira and Erie would make a good fit.

lewytown

Nov 8, 2007
Lewiston, Maine
Something is happening in Lewiston Maine, I think it might be USPHL though? There has been talk about a junior team, not sure which league yet. from what I heard there was a team from Indiana maybe that wasnt playing and they were moving that team to Lewiston, former NHL'ER bought majority of the arena to bring a team in...again not sure what league

Dec 13, 2010
Kept hearing NJ wasn't coming back but have been hearing lately from someone who is pretty tied in that the staff is fully planning on playing in the NAHL next year.

Lewiston sounds like it's still up in the air. NAHL East being sort of in limbo makes it a tough fit and I've heard NCDC isn't interested for a number of reasons. USHL wouldn't do Lewiston for obvious reasons and I doubt the Q wants to go back anytime soon.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
I heard that NCDC is happy with the 11 teams to see how the tax system works and if it manages to stay as a viable financial structure. If it was implemented this season, the league would have brought in roughly $600,000. Split 11 ways and each team gets about $55,000. Currently all these teams charge tuition between $7,000 and $12,000. This works out to between $175,000 and $300,000 with a full roster of 25. Currently the system will take some of the financial burden off of the teams there is still a deficit that needs to be made up. Adding more organizations just does not seem feasible now.

Johnstown has always been looking at the USHL but outside of Youngstown they do not have good travel partners with multiple teams that they would have to play 10+ hours away. They do have the fan base and sponsors to support a USHL team.

The titans, rebels, knights, and generals have been struggling to turn profits pretty much since they all started. Great on ice product for the most part, just not cutting it at the box office. If Johnstown goes it would probably cripple the rest of the division.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The titans, rebels, knights, and generals have been struggling to turn profits pretty much since they all started. Great on ice product for the most part, just not cutting it at the box office. If Johnstown goes it would probably cripple the rest of the division.

One interesting thing, however, is that some of these teams have a slightly tweaked business model from most of the league. Not only do they plan in what would be more of a rec rink, several of them are owned by the rinks themselves. I know this is true with Aston and WBS, possibly NJ as well. So their revenue sources and spending is a little bit different. They pay no rent (as it would be paying it to themselves) which is a major part of an NAHL team's expenses. Ad revenue, concessions, etc. are full profit for the owners, rather than split like most leases. So while I'm sure they wish attendance was higher, it likely doesn't cause quite the financial hardship it would elsewhere. If Johnstown, for example, had similar attendance, they would have already folded.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
One interesting thing, however, is that some of these teams have a slightly tweaked business model from most of the league. Not only do they plan in what would be more of a rec rink, several of them are owned by the rinks themselves. I know this is true with Aston and WBS, possibly NJ as well. So their revenue sources and spending is a little bit different. They pay no rent (as it would be paying it to themselves) which is a major part of an NAHL team's expenses. Ad revenue, concessions, etc. are full profit for the owners, rather than split like most leases. So while I'm sure they wish attendance was higher, it likely doesn't cause quite the financial hardship it would elsewhere. If Johnstown, for example, had similar attendance, they would have already folded.

The titans own their rink as well. Without factoring in ice costs there is still the costs of buses, hotels, meals, equipment, scouting trips, coaching staff, and league fees. I would say there is still $200,000 in expenses there. Don't forget they also fly to Alaska for a week and the showcase in Minnesota. Then the finals in Minnesota as well.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Wouldn't surprise me if the Titans don't come back. They are owned by the rink now and the rink is not doing well as a whole. That team is hemorrhaging money and with barely 100 people at games, if that, its impossible for them to make money.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Sure they pay no rent, but they do take up ice time at no income, while it could be used for an otherwise money generating event. Not so much for practices, but the games are often during primetime hours.
Wouldn't surprise me if the Titans don't come back. They are owned by the rink now and the rink is not doing well as a whole. That team is hemorrhaging money and with barely 100 people at games, if that, its impossible for them to make money.

Just my gut, but the rink not doing well is really about the Titans,. Or at least a big part of it.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Sure they pay no rent, but they do take up ice time at no income, while it could be used for an otherwise money generating event. Not so much for practices, but the games are often during primetime hours.

Just my gut, but the rink not doing well is really about the Titans,. Or at least a big part of it.

Oh definitely is, and I think the guys in charge are realizing that finally. They cant afford to lose as much as they are, it just doesn't work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad