NAHL 2019-2020 Thread

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
NAHL is headed to Danbury... for one game

The North American Hockey League (NAHL) has announced that a NAHL regular season game between the Maine Nordiques and the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights will be played at the Danbury Arena in Danbury, Connecticut, on Saturday, November 9th at 7:00pm. Tickets for the game will be available at the door for only $10.
The game will be played in conjunction with a North American Prospects Hockey League (NAPHL) Showcase event that will be taking place from November 8-10 at the Danbury Arena and will feature 18U and 16U teams from the NAPHL’s Tier I East Conference.

Press Release: NAHL announces regular season game in Danbury, Connecticut

So while it's just one game and it's directly tied to a larger event sponsored by the league, I think this is pretty notable. Danbury, if you believe the prognosticators allegedly in the known, has been a target of the NAHL since it moved east. It's certainly an attractive market: a long history of a fanbase supporting hockey, an arena that's just-right (about 3,000 capacity), and geographic fit to close the gap between the east division teams. Add to this that the owners of the arena also own the NA3HL team that plays there and have explicitly stated a desire to bring in the NAHL. Seems like things are in motion and that this is a proof of concept moment.

That said, Danbury currently has three notable teams playing out of that rink. In addition to the Tier 3 Colonials, the owners are also operating the F(P)HL's Hat Tricks and gave a lease to the vagabond Connecticut Whale of the NWHL. Obviously there's no way they can support four teams, 2 pro and 2 junior, in that rink. Is the Danbury Ice Arena just throwing pucks at a wall to see what sticks?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
the Danbury neutral site game has nothing to do with the NAHL going there......despite what naysayers like Captain Crash think.....Danbury isn't going to be a future market for an NAHL Team, the Colonials are doing this like a showcase, and in case fellow posters forgot, wasn't WB/Scranton in danger of losing both the Knights and the NAHL

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
the Danbury neutral site game has nothing to do with the NAHL going there......despite what naysayers like Captain Crash think.....Danbury isn't going to be a future market for an NAHL Team, the Colonials are doing this like a showcase, and in case fellow posters forgot, wasn't WB/Scranton in danger of losing both the Knights and the NAHL

Wouldn't that, by definition, make you the naysayer in this case?

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
What?

The owners of the Danbury Ice Arena who also own the FPHL's Hattricks, and the NA3HL Colonials have stated they want to have an NAHL franchise. The NAHL wants to continue to grow it's east division to establish a better foothold against the NCDC, Danbury fits in well geographically with existing NAHL markets in the region, this is definitely a test game for the NAHL. The commissioner is quoted saying "This is a great opportunity for the Danbury hockey community to see how good NAHL Hockey has become as we continue to explore the area for future NAHL opportunities.” The WBS Knights NA3HL team never started the season as intended, but if they are in danger of pulling out of the NAHL, the league would most definitely want to replace them in East Division.

You are right the game is being played as part of a showcase. The NAPHL is hosting a showcase at the Danbury Ice Arena that weekend, which is more for the coaches and teams in the NA and NA3 to scout for potential players.

Now that said, I have my doubts if Danbury were to try hosting the FPHL, NAHL,NA3HL, and NWHL all at the same time so my expectation is the Hat Tricks would either become the NAHL franchise or just fold.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What?

The owners of the Danbury Ice Arena who also own the FPHL's Hattricks, and the NA3HL Colonials have stated they want to have an NAHL franchise. The NAHL wants to continue to grow it's east division to establish a better foothold against the NCDC, Danbury fits in well geographically with existing NAHL markets in the region, this is definitely a test game for the NAHL. The commissioner is quoted saying "This is a great opportunity for the Danbury hockey community to see how good NAHL Hockey has become as we continue to explore the area for future NAHL opportunities.” The WBS Knights NA3HL team never started the season as intended, but if they are in danger of pulling out of the NAHL, the league would most definitely want to replace them in East Division.

You are right the game is being played as part of a showcase. The NAPHL is hosting a showcase at the Danbury Ice Arena that weekend, which is more for the coaches and teams in the NA and NA3 to scout for potential players.

Now that said, I have my doubts if Danbury were to try hosting the FPHL, NAHL,NA3HL, and NWHL all at the same time so my expectation is the Hat Tricks would either become the NAHL franchise or just fold.
that's more on the Knights than it is the Nordiques, tbth, which is what the game is, because there's a question as to whether the Knights are the ones shifting the date or were they asked to shift the game to Danbury

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
that's more on the Knights than it is the Nordiques, tbth, which is what the game is, because there's a question as to whether the Knights are the ones shifting the date or were they asked to shift the game to Danbury
Whether the Knights stay in or leave WBS is unkown. But either way this game is a test for Danbury as a potential market.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
NAHL is headed to Danbury... for one game

Press Release: NAHL announces regular season game in Danbury, Connecticut

So while it's just one game and it's directly tied to a larger event sponsored by the league, I think this is pretty notable. Danbury, if you believe the prognosticators allegedly in the known, has been a target of the NAHL since it moved east. It's certainly an attractive market: a long history of a fanbase supporting hockey, an arena that's just-right (about 3,000 capacity), and geographic fit to close the gap between the east division teams. Add to this that the owners of the arena also own the NA3HL team that plays there and have explicitly stated a desire to bring in the NAHL. Seems like things are in motion and that this is a proof of concept moment.

That said, Danbury currently has three notable teams playing out of that rink. In addition to the Tier 3 Colonials, the owners are also operating the F(P)HL's Hat Tricks and gave a lease to the vagabond Connecticut Whale of the NWHL. Obviously there's no way they can support four teams, 2 pro and 2 junior, in that rink. Is the Danbury Ice Arena just throwing pucks at a wall to see what sticks?

The answer is obvious; Nuke the Whale.

What? Aside from one year, they've been the worst team in the NWHL. That's the easiest solution you got.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The answer is obvious; Nuke the Whale.

What? Aside from one year, they've been the worst team in the NWHL. That's the easiest solution you got.
The NWHL may take care of that themselves by the end of this season. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->