NAHL 2015-2016 Thread

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
And now the local media in Eau Claire has confirmed the reports of a team the 16-17 season. Preliminary agreement between ownership group and Hobbs Ice Center is in place-- next needs approval by city council and then the NAHL BOG. But sounds good! Deal would also bring some upgrades to the facility. Location-wise this is a great fit.

http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/New-NAHL-team-set-to-move-into-Hobbs-next-year-345192952.html

http://www.wqow.com/story/30486819/2015/11/10/nahl-coming-to-eau-claire

cmh329

Nov 14, 2015
First post here.

New to the NAHL this year, been attending most of the Aston Rebels home games this season. Very impressed with the quality of the league. Attendance has been a bit disappointing, between 200-400 each game, but it is a small rink. I imagine they could pack 1000 in there for a sellout. To their credit, they have been all over the place in community trying to get their name out there, especially with the numerous youth hockey programs in the area.

A few players have stood out so far for the team.

G Darion Hanson - Team picked him up in a trade right after the showcase this year, and the team has really turned things around since he's been the starter. 7-1 with a 2.44 GAA and .914 SV% so far. He's bailed this team out numerous times this year, including a 2-1 victory against league leaders Fairbanks in Alaska. Every night he gives you at least 2-3 saves that leaves the opposing player shaking his head. IMO he definitely has Division 1 offers coming his way soon, 97 birth year so he's still got a couple years in Juniors.

D Kristofers Bindulis - One of two Latvian defenders on the team. Currently leads the league in scoring for defensemen. 3 G, 15 A in 18 games. One of the main reasons this team is near the top of the league in Power Play scoring. Big slap shot power from the point. He was back and forth last year between NAHL and USHL. Last year of juniors for him so hopefully he receives an NCAA offer in the next couple months.

D Gvido Jansens - The other Latvian defender. Played for Latvia U18 and U20 teams. 3 G and 7 A so far this season. Missed about 3 weeks with a shoulder injury earlier in the season. Might have the hardest slap shot in the league. Have seen a few NHL scouts in attendance this season looking at him, most recently this weekend with games coinciding with the NAPHL showcase in Aston.

I certainly agree with some other posters, the East division schedule is too repetitive. 18 games against each of the other three teams, then 4 with each of the Alaskan teams. Hopefully the rumored expansion in the East is true. Would love to see more teams on the schedule.

Dec 13, 2010
I was at the NAPHL showcase this weekend and popped in and out of the Rebels/Titans game Friday night. Pretty good crowd for a Friday night in Aston honestly, I'm glad to see this level of hockey is garnering any support at all in the region. Some of the crowd was definitely NAPHL players/coaches with their teams but there was a very good contingent of local fans.

Good to see Jansons getting some love. I've liked him since he was at Selects Academy and was surprised he didn't get more USHL attention.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Two current NAHL players have made at the rosters for the 2016 World Juniors in Division I-Group A in Vienna.

• Latvia: Filips Buncis, F, Johnstown Tomahawks forward
  • Norway: Tobias Fladeby, F, Bismarck Bobcats

Great to see not only some NAHL players getting recognition on an international stage, but also that the league is attracting good talent from around the globe!

More info: http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=16376

Last edited:

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
First post here.

New to the NAHL this year, been attending most of the Aston Rebels home games this season. Very impressed with the quality of the league. Attendance has been a bit disappointing, between 200-400 each game, but it is a small rink. I imagine they could pack 1000 in there for a sellout. To their credit, they have been all over the place in community trying to get their name out there, especially with the numerous youth hockey programs in the area.

A few players have stood out so far for the team.

G Darion Hanson - Team picked him up in a trade right after the showcase this year, and the team has really turned things around since he's been the starter. 7-1 with a 2.44 GAA and .914 SV% so far. He's bailed this team out numerous times this year, including a 2-1 victory against league leaders Fairbanks in Alaska. Every night he gives you at least 2-3 saves that leaves the opposing player shaking his head. IMO he definitely has Division 1 offers coming his way soon, 97 birth year so he's still got a couple years in Juniors.

D Kristofers Bindulis - One of two Latvian defenders on the team. Currently leads the league in scoring for defensemen. 3 G, 15 A in 18 games. One of the main reasons this team is near the top of the league in Power Play scoring. Big slap shot power from the point. He was back and forth last year between NAHL and USHL. Last year of juniors for him so hopefully he receives an NCAA offer in the next couple months.

D Gvido Jansens - The other Latvian defender. Played for Latvia U18 and U20 teams. 3 G and 7 A so far this season. Missed about 3 weeks with a shoulder injury earlier in the season. Might have the hardest slap shot in the league. Have seen a few NHL scouts in attendance this season looking at him, most recently this weekend with games coinciding with the NAPHL showcase in Aston.

I certainly agree with some other posters, the East division schedule is too repetitive. 18 games against each of the other three teams, then 4 with each of the Alaskan teams. Hopefully the rumored expansion in the East is true. Would love to see more teams on the schedule.

Welcome! Please continue to provide us with insights in Aston!

I recently made a stop in for a game in Aston as I was nearby on business and it just so happened my Tomahawks were in town. I was surprised to see how many other Johnstown supporters made that trek. That said, the crowd was good and engaged with the team. It was about half full-- if they could routinely fill it, I really think they could have a pretty good atmosphere there. The franchise is really doing its best at a 'big-time' presentation, with the merchandise table etc in the lobby area. It can be tough to make a rec rink seem like a small arena atmosphere, but they're doing it. Just need the fans to fill it in.

I was also impressed with Bindulis! In addition to the talent, it's that sort of 'international' flair that can help build some legitimacy and notoriety for the NAHL product.

Hope you keep supporting so that the East stays healthy and expansion pushes forward. Pennsylvania could become a big stronghold in the junior ranks!

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Five NAHL alumni named to this year's NHL All-Star game. Not too shabby! Definitely a good indication that the league can pump out some quality prospects.

• Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks/USNTDP)
  • Brandon Saad (Columbus Blue Jackets/Mahoning Valley Phantoms)
  • Ben Bishop (Tampa Bay Lightning/Texas Tornado)
  • John Scott (Arizona Coyotes/Chicago Freeze)
  • Cory Schneider (New Jersey Devils/USNTDP)

(Odd to note, though, that none of those franchises exist in situ)

http://www.nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=16656

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
And now another NAHL coach meets his fate.

Kenai River Brown Bears have parted ways with head coach Geoff Beauparlant. His replacement has already been announced as Jeff Worlton who will be moving up a tier from the NA3HL's Breezy Point North Stars.

This obviously makes sense. The Brown Bears had a 30 game winless skid and are yet to win a home game this year.

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=16714

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Details announced today regarding the 2016 NAHL Top Prospects Tournament. The event gets underway at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, MI on February 15th and 16th.

The tournament consists of five teams based on divisions (Central, East, Midwest, and South) as well as the "NAHL Selects Team" and the USNTDP 17 Team. The number of each team's representatives is based on their current win percentage, which is pretty interesting method!

Guess we'll wait a little longer for the rosters. In the mean time, the exact schedule and other details are available in the NAHL's press release: http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=16798

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The midterm draft rankings came out this week from the NHL Draft Central Scouting and there is some NAHL representation involved. Six current players got ranked for the draft:

• Todd Burgess, F, Fairbanks Ice Dogs - #203 among North American skaters
  • Mikael Hakkarainen, F, Brookings Blizzard - #178 among North American skaters
  • Tyler Johnson, G, Topeka RoadRunners - #16 among North American goalies
  • Jack LaFontaine, G, Janesville Jets - #10 among North American goalies
  • Tommy Nappier, G, Springfield Jr. Blues - #26 among North American goalies
  • Peter Thome, G, Aberdeen Wings - #19 among North American goalies

There were also three NAHL alumni in the list:
  • Konstantin Chernyuk, F, Wichita Falls Wildcats (2014-15) - #104 among North American skaters
  • Matt Jurusik, G, Janesville Jets (2014-15) - #15 among North American goalies
  • Kevin Klima, F, Springfield Jr. Blues (2014-15) - #196 among North American skaters

Is the NAHL becoming a goalie factory?

Full draft ranking available via NHL Central Scouting: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=797902

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
somewhat new to the nahl.though ive seen other leagues at the same "level".any blogs or podcasts covering it?seems like the only news option is the league site

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
somewhat new to the nahl.though ive seen other leagues at the same "level".any blogs or podcasts covering it?seems like the only news option is the league site

Welcome aboard! The NAHL is a really great league to get into with good quality hockey.

This is a pretty good question as well and I hope some others can contribute. There are three websites that cover American junior hockey pretty extensively including the NAHL:

The Junior Hockey News: http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/
JuniorHockey.com: http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/nahl.php
Lets Play Hockey: http://www.letsplayhockey.com/teams/junior/nahl5.html

As for individual teams, I only know of coverage for the team I follow personally, the Johnstown Tomahawks. The Tomablog is fan-run and sporadically updated as a blog, though their Facebook page is fairly active: http://www.thetomablog.com/

PA Puck is a Facebook account that posts info on all hockey teams in Pennsylvania, including the state's three current NAHL entries, the Tomahawks, Aston Rebels, and WBS Knights: https://www.facebook.com/PAPuck/

Hopefully some fans of other teams can help add to the list!

Dec 13, 2010
JuniorHockey.com is a pretty good site for unbiased NAHL news..probably the only blog that really covers the league thoroughly. They have a power ranking formula they use too which is pretty interesting.

It's an entertaining league and good level of play. I've been to a handful of games at a handful of rinks and each has a great production level and good fan interaction. Jr A hockey is sort of the same everywhere, each league has some great teams and some bad teams. If you're going to be catching games, make sure you figure out who is and isn't worth seeing!

Remember too it's definitely a goalie factory. You might not get a ton of future NHL forwards out of the league, but the NAHL has done a great job producing NHL/pro goalies.

Bcoll

Apr 13, 2015
There are Rumors of a team from massachusetts to join next year. any thoughts?

cmh329

Nov 14, 2015

Haven't heard this one, but would love to see another team in the East. Brooklyn rumors from earlier seem to have died down as well.

Bcoll

Apr 13, 2015
Haven't heard this one, but would love to see another team in the East. Brooklyn rumors from earlier seem to have died down as well.

I heard L/A fighting spirit were going to go for it at the beginning of the year (but family issues come 1st) They play out of the out of the old Lewiston Maineiacs arena they average about 700 fans a game

cmh329

Nov 14, 2015
Would love to see some New England area teams jump on board. Some good hockey markets, plus the large amount of college hockey teams in that area ,D1 and D3, would be a great platform for kids to be seen by scouts.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
My understanding is that Lewiston was pretty much ready to go in the NAHL for this season but delayed when other relocations/expansions didn't happen in time as it eliminated travel partners for them. So I can see how a Massachusetts-based team could have been a part of this from even earlier on. Where exactly that might be I don't know. I suppose the rink that the Berkshire Battalion used is vacant since the FHL left. But I think the NAHL is definitely going to continue moving into the Northeast, and Lewiston is a major part of it.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
Might see an EHL team or 2 make the switch like the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Knights did. Quite a few teams in the NY and New England area in that league.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

Yep. Going to be a new team in Massachussetts and Louisiana this upcoming season. It's great to see the league growing.

Also, NJ Titans defenseman Dakota Ford just committed to Clarkson University. There's a lot of talent in this league, it just doesn't get seen enough.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Yep. Going to be a new team in Massachussetts and Louisiana this upcoming season. It's great to see the league growing.

Also, NJ Titans defenseman Dakota Ford just committed to Clarkson University. There's a lot of talent in this league, it just doesn't get seen enough.

Knew about the new team in Louisiana (as well as Wisconsin) but haven't seen anything definite about Massachusetts. Any idea what market they would be getting into specifically?

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Knew about the new team in Louisiana (as well as Wisconsin) but haven't seen anything definite about Massachusetts. Any idea what market they would be getting into specifically?

I honestly forget where in Massachussetts it was, but I believe in central Mass somewhere. Maybe around Worcester? Don't quote me on that though lol

Dec 13, 2010
Don't think the MA team is happening. People around the league have told me they don't think it'll get approved, but I could be wrong

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Don't think the MA team is happening. People around the league have told me they don't think it'll get approved, but I could be wrong

Hmm I was told by someone in the league it's happening, if I find out more I'll post it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->