NA vs. International ice

Mitchell Matthews

Jan 1, 2017
I often see the difference in size and the transition between the two surfaces as a defense for international players who need time to adjust to the NA game; however, while I agree that there may be some adjustment period, at times I feel like this argument is a bit exaggerated (i.e., requiring at least a season to fully adjust).

NA ice: 200x85 ft
Intl ice: 200x100 ft (7.5 ft larger on each side)

Which do you prefer to watch, and realistically how great of a transition is it for players to/from either one? How does it help or hurt certain play styles?

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I don't like Euro ice. Games are boring. NHL ice, smaller rink, much better. Forces the action to take place. Euro rinks stink.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
I watch both Finnish league and NHL and I prefer NHL ice for it's excitement and lack of slow buildups. However, sometimes NHL games go into being just a mess with neither team seeming to know what to do and then just mindless pushing back and forth.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think somewhere in between might be best case scenario. Though that's not going to happen.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I'd like to see the NHL experiment with larger ice. I don't accept that the game style will automatically become like the European domestic leagues just because of the ice size, it's a different league with a different style. The Finnish ice could be a good compromise. Just tired of the constraints of the small ice and north-south hockey. I'd like to see what they could do with more space.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I agree with the sentiments here that Finnish ice could be cool to see with NHL players. I don't like International ice since it doesn't force the action to high danger spots and often ends up being bit boring.

But modern NHL guys are so freaking fast that sometimes the game seemingly just gets messy and no-one really knows what to do.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'd like to see the NHL experiment with larger ice. I don't accept that the game style will automatically become like the European domestic leagues just because of the ice size, it's a different league with a different style. The Finnish ice could be a good compromise. Just tired of the constraints of the small ice and north-south hockey. I'd like to see what they could do with more space.

gain the zone and then cycle the puck endlessly from low-percentage scoring areas ?

Thanks, but no.

Ukki

Feb 10, 2014
Oulu
NA ice makes the game a bit too messy for my taste, however finnish ice isnt perfect either

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
International Ice is ass tier.

One of the biggest myths is that it promotes more offence, when in reality it does the exact opposite.

NHL size
Finn size
International size

In that order.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
The problem with NHL size is it just promotes goons and untalented players

Like I'd rather see guys with good puck handling skills and passing then some big old wrestler think hes good at hockey

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
The problem with NHL size is it just promotes goons and untalented players

Like I'd rather see guys with good puck handling skills and passing then some big old wrestler think hes good at hockey

Is it the 80's still?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I agree the difference is overstated a lot of times. The actual scoring areas are the exact same size, and that's where games are won - it's just that there's more room for the puck to trickle away from.

Personally, I prefer smaller ice. Too much low danger areas on international ice to play the puck to, and it slows the game down.

And let's be honest - big ice gives less skilled players more time to make plays. The true elite doesn't need it, and that's how you separate them from the rest. A lot of mediocre players look great when they have time and space.

Smaller ice adds more collision and battles, instead of players keeping their distance.

Bigger ice is probably better suited for more tactical play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad