N. Tryamkin Scouting Video (2020 KHL Playoffs): Eight Minute-Insights, Presented by Nucks Misconduct

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Eight-Minute Insights: Nikita Tryamkin - A CambieKev Scouting Video

Nikita Tryamkin deserves an opportunity to prove his worth to the Vancouver Canucks — plain and simple. His previous tenure with the team tantalized observers. His rare combination of size, strength and mobility left Canucks fans in awe of what the then-twenty-two-year-old was capable of becoming. At 6’7’’, 250 lbs, he intimidated opponents like few could, and he obliterated numerous victims with his incredible strength.

Many were shocked, but not surprised when he departed from the Canucks. He believed that he had been misused. He desired more ice time than he received, and so he rejoined his KHL team, Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg. Always known to be vocal, he received the team’s “A” as an alternate captain for two seasons before being stripped of the honor this past season. Recently, his agent has been adamant that Tryamkin wants nothing more than to return to the Canucks.

The Vancouver Canucks struggled defensively in 2019-20. They bled scoring opportunities and were often rescued by the MVP-like play of Jacob Markstrom. Although the team’s offensive play has improved significantly since Tryamkin last represented the team, they continue to be inept once the opponent begins to carry the puck back up the ice. The organization would be wise, thus, to explore all of its options, including the enigmatic former prospect.

He was not so polarizing as a player for the team. He offered exactly what he was expected to provide. His physicality overwhelmed some opposition players, and yet he could transition the puck through the neutral zone quite confidently and naturally. He has done the same for his KHL team.

Today, we have an opportunity to look at one of Nikita Tryamkin’s most recent performances: Game 4 of the 2020 KHL Quarterfinals against Sibir Novosibirsk on March 8, 2020.

Read the full article at Nucks Misconduct: Eight-Minute Insights: Nikita Tryamkin - A CambieKev Scouting Video

Reactions: Szechwan

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
With all due respect, that seems like a grossly exaggerated and even inaccurate analysis of Tryamkin.

It reads like a description of a combination of Chris Pronger and Zdeno Chara is what Tryamkin is. He is far from that. Yes, he could be a useful depth d-man. He could even potentially, if all of the stars align properly become a #4 (unlikely) or #5 d-man.

Reactions: Fixxer

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
With all due respect, that seems like a grossly exaggerated and even inaccurate analysis of Tryamkin.

It reads like a description of a combination of Chris Pronger and Zdeno Chara is what Tryamkin is. He is far from that. Yes, he could be a useful depth d-man. He could even potentially, if all of the stars align properly become a #4 (unlikely) or #5 d-man.
Thanks for commenting.

For the most part, I allowed the video to explain his style of play while I focused primarily on the allure of bringing him to Vancouver -- mostly, his physical attributes.

I have expanded the article to discuss his deficiencies in greater detail.
Where do you see him slotting in? 3rd pair?
Third pairing is the only plausible scenario upon his return. I don't see him usurping Edler, Hughes or Myers. Chris Tanev is a pending UFA, but one can not rule out his return. Depending on his competition, there may be a position on the second pairing. Troy Stecher, Jordie Benn and Olli Juolevi are among the current candidates at the lower end of that depth chart.

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Where do you see him slotting in? 3rd pair?
Not sure where he will slot in given that the Canucks D will have some pretty big changes next year. Tryamkin showed pretty well as a 22 year old rookie 3 years ago on an awful Canucks D, and he brings a few attributes that we sorely need on our back end. He is huge, physical, and plays with some snarl. I followed him reasonably closely over the past 3 years, and he played pretty well in the KHL. I do think he game is more tailored to the NHL though as it is more physical. Tryamkin had his best KHL season this year, partly due to development, partly due to the smaller NHL sized rinks being mandatory.

I think most expect him to play on the bottom pair to start, but nobody really knows how effective he will be. Getting a cost controlled NHL ready D into the lineup would be a huge win for the Canucks, regardless if he play 13 or 18 minutes per night.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
plus he can play both sides. pretty well. but i think he loves to play on the right side of the ice. his size/physicality is needed in the bottom pairing.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
We need to give him another opportunity and see what we have in him. The guy has the physical ability to be a force in NHL if he applies himself. For a man his size he skates very well. Now if his attitude has changed and he ready to earn his time and the coach puts him in a position to succeed we should have a capable Dman that can play both sides. Imagine a pairing of Hughes and Tryamkin in 2 years I'd be pretty happy if that worked out. We won't know if we don't bring him back though he should be a priority for Benning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad