N.Suzuki and C.Caufield, can be a B.Point and A.DeBrincat for Habs?

N.Suzuki and C.Caufield can have the same impact of B.Point and A.DeBrincat?

• Total voters

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Nick Suzuki and Cole Caufield play like they are going to be stars players in this league can both have the same impact of Brayden Point and Alex DeBrincat for the Habs?

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
You are really comparing Suzuki to the Conn Smyth winner ? Caulfield to Debrincat is at least a conversation

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Point should have won it last year. What the hell are you talking about should be reserved for the OP comparing him to Suzuki.
He didn't compare them; he asked if Suzuki could become a similar calibre player. There's something called reading comprehension, and you don't have it.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
He didn't compare them; he asked if Suzuki could become a similar calibre player. There's something called reading comprehension, and you don't have it.

Is that not what you call a comparison? Comparing him in the future. Answer. Nope.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Suzuki to point is possible but improbable. Points last three regular season years, he has 204 points in 201 games, for on average of 83 points. Can Suzuki be a ppg Center. He could be but id be more comfortable saying he’ll be a 65-75 point Center. As for playoffs, point has 50P in 42GP. That’s a 98 point pace. Suzuki would need to multiply his current production by 1.8x to get to that level. If Montreal finds a coach that Suzuki can fit in with, and Suzuki’s break out is much better than most expectations, then yes it is possible. But I’d say it’s an outside chance of happening.

Caufield comparisons are too early to tell. He can become Alex debrincat but he also can become Nathan gerbe. No disrespect to caufield as I think he can be a very solid 1-2nd liner but if we are gonna give 1st and 2nd overall picks 1-2 years before labeling them anything, than the same should be done for the reverse. At least give it more than 22 games, I’d say with the way things are progressing, the next year or two will be very telling as to what player he can become.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Suzuki to point is possible but improbable. Points last three regular season years, he has 204 points in 201 games, for on average of 83 points. Can Suzuki be a ppg Center. He could be but id be more comfortable saying he’ll be a 65-75 point Center. As for playoffs, point has 50P in 42GP. That’s a 98 point pace. Suzuki would need to multiply his current production by 1.8x to get to that level. If Montreal finds a coach that Suzuki can fit in with, and Suzuki’s break out is much better than most expectations, then yes it is possible. But I’d say it’s an outside chance of happening.

Caufield comparisons are too early to tell. He can become Alex debrincat but he also can become Nathan gerbe. No disrespect to caufield as I think he can be a very solid 1-2nd liner but if we are gonna give 1st and 2nd overall picks 1-2 years before labeling them anything, than the same should be done for the reverse. At least give it more than 22 games, I’d say with the way things are progressing, the next year or two will be very telling as to what player he can become.
Point this season was on pace for 70 pts, Suzuki was on pace for 60 pts, 4 years younger on a team that doesn’t score nearly as many goals. Can he close that gap especially if Montreal become a more offensive team? Pretty easy yes IMO.

Now does Montreal have a Kucherov? Probably not

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Point this season was on pace for 70 pts, Suzuki was on pace for 60 pts, 4 years younger on a team that doesn’t score nearly as many goals. Can he close that gap especially if Montreal become a more offensive team? Pretty easy yes IMO.

70 points is a down year for Point, and he played in a division that wasn't a joke. Point's a guy that will be expected to get you a point per game + level production.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I love Suzuki but I don't think he'll ever have the skating to become as dynamic offensive threat as Point.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
70 points is a down year for Point, and he played in a division that wasn't a joke. Point's a guy that will be expected to get you a point per game + level production.
Down year or reality without Kuch? Not saying he’s Rob Brown but he definitely benefits from him especially PP points

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

1 year is too small of a sample size to use in this situation, that’s why I used Points breakout year till now for context as to what a suzuki version of point could/should look like. Suzuki would need to be a 75-90 point player + a good performer in the playoffs. Can it happen? Sure. Is it reasonable to say that unless some big changes (more offensive coach, more development than expected, better usage,etc…) occur, that this comparison can be labeled sort of a stretch? IMO, that is justified. Suzuki will be a very solid 1-2C in the league with the chance at being a point level player in a great scenario, but I’d bet on him being a little worse than point.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
1 year is too small of a sample size to use in this situation, that’s why I used Points breakout year till now for context as to what a suzuki version of point could/should look like. Suzuki would need to be a 75-90 point player + a good performer in the playoffs. Can it happen? Sure. Is it reasonable to say that unless some big changes (more offensive coach, more development than expected, better usage,etc…) occur, that this comparison can be labeled sort of a stretch? IMO, that is justified. Suzuki will be a very solid 1-2C in the league with the chance at being a point level player in a great scenario, but I’d bet on him being a little worse than point.
Without Kucherov Point was in on 26.5% of Tampa’s goals. Suzuki was 25.7% of the Habs goals and is 4 years younger. Premise of the OP is can he have the same impact, I’d say he’s not far off already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->