Post-Game Talk: N.J. Devils @ Washington Capitals, Sat., Jan 11th, 2020, 7:08p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
On a side note, but I wonder if Holtby’s next contract takes a bad hit if his sub 0.900 sv % continues to hold or do you think someone out there will still offer him $9mm+

His last 3 regular seasons (including this one):

upload_2020-1-12_12-19-45.png

There's almost always a GM willing to overpay but you'd have to think Holtby isn't getting 9 mill. He's going to end up in the 5-6 range if he doesn't figure it out.

Varlamov and Lehner are both signed for 5 million and they have better regular season records than Holtby the last 3 years.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
The sky is not falling.
But the cracks are visible.

It's impossible to play with a high level of intensity over an 82-game schedule.
But that doesn't explain virtually the entire roster playing flat in half of its last dozen or so games.

My biggest concern is that in most games during this period they're not playing the right way.
Shorties in two straight games. Nearly the league's worst PP since the beginning of December. Passes into guys' skates. Minors due to laziness. Even though the PK is doing well, when they're killing penalties Ovie isn't on the ice. And so on. Most of the roster wasn't around for the President's Trophy winning playoff failures, so it's hard to say they share a "RS is meaningless as long as you make the 'loffs" POV.

All that said, maybe it's better to have some adversity, at least standings-wise. Maybe it's good to have your swoon before the All-Star break, and to come out of that and your bye period ready to blaze away for five months into the Finals. We'll see.

And dare I type it, In BMac We Trust.

Reactions: Bananas and Corby78

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
The sky is not falling.

It's impossible to play with a high level of intensity over an 82-game schedule.
But that doesn't explain virtually the entire roster playing flat in half of its last dozen or so games.

My biggest concern is that in most games during this period they're not playing the right way.
Shorties in two straight games. Nearly the league's worst PP since the beginning of December. Passes into guys' skates. Minors due to laziness. Even though the PK is doing well, when they're killing penalties Ovie isn't on the ice. And so on. Most of the roster wasn't around for the President's Trophy winning playoff failures, so it's hard to say they share a "RS is meaningless as long as you make the 'loffs" POV.

All that said, maybe it's better to have some adversity, at least standings-wise. Maybe it's good to have your swoon before the All-Star break, and to come out of that and your bye period ready to blaze away for five months into the Finals. We'll see.

The only thing gives me comfort is BMac. He won’t stand for this if it continues.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Sigh - yes let's pull the goalie with 5 minutes left. Especially since we've played such an awesome possession game tonight and our passes have been tape to tape.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Lol at “burn the tape” this has been the team for 2 months. The tape is the team, Holtby is trash and the boys aren’t skating hard.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
The sky is not falling.

I get a bad game here or there but it's been pretty consistent for a while now. Lack of precision can either come from nervousness, injury, or lack of practice. I doubt the whole team is injured and I doubt they are nervous, so...

I don't feel like this team moves the puck quickly enough, especially on the PP. Puck movement in and of itself, even if not a tic-tac-toe goal, tires defenders and gets them leaning.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I’m a teacher. We see this all time

How do you force your students to care?

Seems like this is where we are at right now

Some resetting needs to be done. They literally don’t care right now

Ans why would we if we have Jensen and Holthree being absolute dog trash

yet we keep playing them. Big difference is, I can’t bench and kick out my students. Reirden can. Get it done moron

Reactions: Heath
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad