Post-Game Talk: N.J. Devils @ Washington Capitals, Sat., Jan 11th, 2020, 7:08p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
How often do you see a team w/the best record getting pasted 4-1 by a bad team on home ice?

Score 2 ENG, now this.
Caps - we bring you rare events :laugh:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I wasn't paying much attention -- team's asleep -- and I presume none of these goals on Holtby, as usual?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
So when does Todd go full bat **** on this team? His lack of giving a **** is a direct reflection of this team.
I mean I don’t think you go full bat shit crazy when you still have most points in nhl. Losses happen. A full on meltdown right now would look extremely bad on anyone’s part.

we are very spoiled and we are noticing some bad play lately - but outbursts, etc right now would look awful. You don’t do that now. Not when you’re still where you are standing wise.

jts not about a meltdown or bat shit crazy mode for our coaching staff. It’s about finding a way to fix this and get things right again.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
So when does Todd go full bat **** on this team? His lack of giving a **** is a direct reflection of this team.
I think we are seeing Todd's limitations at this stage of his coaching career. Not much of a motivator (as evidenced by the long stretch of slow starts) and having a lot of difficulty keeping them sharp. Doesn't seem to be able to coach up his defenders from the head coach position. Overall record is nice but the Metro record (6-6-1 after tonight) and consistently being outclassed by Columbus and Carolina is convening to me. We haven't even played Pittsburgh yet.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
Just curious, how long do we think Holtby's leash is? Sammy has been thoroughly outplaying him this season and I wonder how many more bad games Holtby will be allowed before he's found himself as the #2 guy.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Just curious, how long do we think Holtby's leash is? Sammy has been thoroughly outplaying him this season and I wonder how many more bad games Holtby will be allowed before he's found himself as the #2 guy.

Caps would have to plummet in the standing for that to happen. I'm talking about a nose dive and since that wont happen, Holtby stays put.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
5v5 expected goals:
Devils - 1.16
Caps - 1.34

Actual:
Devils - 3
Caps 0

All situation expected goals
Devils - 1.95
Caps - 2.12

Actual:
Devils 4
Caps 1

When is the last time Holtby outplayed a goalie besides Martin Jones? He just isn’t an NHL starter this year. It should be Samsonov’s net. I’m not saying the defense or team has played well but things look a lot worse when your goalie can’t make a save and consistently lets in more goals than he should.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I think we are seeing Todd's limitations at this stage of his coaching career. Not much of a motivator (as evidenced by the long stretch of slow starts) and having a lot of difficulty keeping them sharp. Doesn't seem to be able to coach up his defenders from the head coach position. Overall record is nice but the Metro record (6-6-1 after tonight) and consistently being outclassed by Columbus and Carolina is convening to me. We haven't even played Pittsburgh yet.

Shhh you can't say Reirden is any less of a leader/motivator than Trotz no matter how obvious it is. You're not in the dressing room :sarcasm:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Perhaps the Caps are playing tighter defense in front of a rookie goalie

They have no confidence in Holtby which translates to second guessing themselves which translates to being sloppy defensively. It's the vicious cycle Blues had with Allen last year before Binnington stepped in.

With Samsonov they're playing tighter defense but part of that is that they're much more comfortable with him in net.

Reactions: troyerlaw

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
I mean I don’t think you go full bat **** crazy when you still have most points in nhl. Losses happen. A full on meltdown right now would look extremely bad on anyone’s part.

we are very spoiled and we are noticing some bad play lately - but outbursts, etc right now would look awful. You don’t do that now. Not when you’re still where you are standing wise.

jts not about a meltdown or bat **** crazy mode for our coaching staff. It’s about finding a way to fix this and get things right again.

So you continue to let the team barely tread water? Play .500 hockey? They'll be 8-7 in the last 15 after tonight. Each game plays the same. Never score first, play from behind. Countless awful penalties. Soft goals. Turn it on late but too late. It's a pattern. For over a month.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I feel this. The team just doesn't look great, there's plenty of flaws and a lack of intensity and dynamism. It seems a stupid thing to say, but league position has papered of the cracks I feel

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I feel this. The team just doesn't look great, there's plenty of flaws and a lack of intensity and dynamism. It seems a stupid thing to say, but league position has papered of the cracks I feel

One defensemen (either switched out or playing better) and slightly better goal-tending from Holtby and this is a great team.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Backstrom struggling tonight. That 5-on-3 was yet another golden chance which we pissed away. Embarrassing effort tonight all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad