Näslund pulls out of team Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Honestly, with the lack of respect that most Swedish fans show naslund this decision should come as no surprise. As a Canucks fan, this is really great news. I also hope that it means the Sedins get more playing time, as they've been shunned in past international tournmanets but are fully deserving of significant ice time.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I like the fact that Homer is playing in the tourney, but I hate the fact that so many of Detroit's players wont get a rest. Thank god Kronwall is laying off.

SChan*

jekoh said:
We would indeed understand Näslund would rather rest his body than playing 15 games injured for Vancouver.

owned. Why did naslund play injured for canucks for so long though?

SChan*

detredWINgs said:
I like the fact that Homer is playing in the tourney, but I hate the fact that so many of Detroit's players wont get a rest. Thank god Kronwall is laying off.

dude if anything, Kronwall would need matches.

shawn_kemp*

IMO, Holmstrom is a lot more valuable to Sweden than Naslund, so it's good news actually.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I couldn't care less what Swedish fans think. Honestly, if this helps the Canucks down the stretch drive and into the playoffs then this is great news.

SChan*

shawn_kemp said:
that sounded selfish

nothing compared to the immature comments on TSN.ca

thank god this community doesn't sink that low.

SChan*

guinness said:
Did Naslund do anything for Modo last year? I though I remember him being pretty invisible for them, especially in the playoffs.

no he was invincible in MoDo as well. Forsberg was the only one that played great in MoDo though he was injured.

shawn_kemp*

SectionX said:
nothing compared to the immature comments on TSN.ca

you want an advice? don't read them. and believe me, you'll feel a lot better. ;)

shawn_kemp*

guinness said:
Did Naslund do anything for Modo last year? I though I remember him being pretty invisible for them, especially in the playoffs.

Naslund is like nothing outside of Vancouver. he might help at the 2010 Olympics. :D

shawn_kemp*

Shane said:
Most Swedish fans didn't even want him on the team in the first place, and now that he's withdrawn, you complain about it?

same with the Russians who didn't want Fedorov and Zubov and Khabibulin and so on ...

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
SectionX said:
dude if anything, Kronwall would need matches.
is it impossible for kronwall to play for sweden? he played well yesterday for detroit. he was 3rd star of game and even knocked a guy on the ice on his 1st shift. apparently he wasn't 100%, tho. i think detroit wants him to spend time in AHL over olympic break, but i don't know why couldn't he go to torino instead. maybe they want to be able to keep a close eye on his progress and play. i hope he plays in torino, since i'd be able to watch.

SChan*

Shane said:
Most Swedish fans didn't even want him on the team in the first place, and now that he's withdrawn, you complain about it?

most fans wanted him playing with his best friend Forsberg. That would make Forsberg happy as well. I bet he is very unhappy that Nazzy withdrew.

Last edited by a moderator:

SChan*

nik jr said:
is it impossible for kronwall to play for sweden? he played well yesterday for detroit. he was 3rd star of game and even knocked a guy on the ice on his 1st shift. apparently he wasn't 100%, tho. i think detroit wants him to spend time in AHL over olympic break, but i don't know why couldn't he go to torino instead. maybe they want to be able to keep a close eye on his progress and play. i hope he plays in torino, since i'd be able to watch.

If there is another injury on one of Sweden's defensemen kronwall will play for sweden. Othervise not.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
SectionX said:
most fans wanted him playing with his best friend Forsberg. That would make Forsberg happy as well. I doubt he is very unhappy that Nazzy withdrew.

Hey, you guys are just lucky we're letting Ohlund go. Don't make us make him stay.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
If it was up to me i would have picked Holmström over Näslund, and it's not a hard decision. Im not saying Holmström is the better player but he's much more important to the team (PP).
However Näslund would still make my team at the expense of guys like Jörgen Jönsson and Mika Hannula (both SEL players).

This poll gives a good idea of how swedes consider Näslund withdrawl.
52.5% says the team is better with Holmström instead of Näslund.
19.4% says the team is worse with Holmström instead of Näslund.
28.1% says no difference.

SChan*

Shane said:
Hey, you guys are just lucky we're letting Ohlund go. Don't make us make him stay.

I hope you're joking. The are so many great players in NHL that are going to olympics, but it seems that the swedes and finns are the ones that are called out for going.

Jazz

SectionX said:
most fans wanted him playing with his best friend Forsberg. That would make Forsberg happy as well. I doubt he is very unhappy that Nazzy withdrew.
I'm sure that Nazzy agonized over this decision as well.

He took one game off (Saturday vs Colorado) to give himself a bit of a break. What do not understand is why he would not also skip the Phoenix game (on Tuesday). That would have given him 8 days off, and enough time to properly assess the situation.

I understand the typical NHL-orientated mentality here that the Canucks pay his salary, but what everyone here fails to realize is that this is an NHL-NHLPA-IIHF tournament. The NHL took suspending the season to showcase it's best stars to a global audience, and thus making players available for this tournament should have been a priority as well. The players also owe something to their national federation that developed them in the first place.

shawn_kemp*

SectionX said:
I hope you're joking. The are so many great players in NHL that are going to olympics, but it seems that the swedes and finns are the ones that are called out for going.

and you are surprised? the NHL wants (needs) a USA-Canada final, and Canada must take the gold. :teach:

SChan*

Jazz said:
I'm sure that Nazzy agonized over this decision as well.

He took one game off (Saturday vs Colorado) to give himself a bit of a break. What do not understand is why he would not also skip the Phoenix game (on Tuesday). That would have given him 8 days off, and enough time to properly assess the situation.

I understand the typical NHL-orientated mentality here that the Canucks pay his salary, but what everyone here fails to realize is that this is an NHL-NHLPA-IIHF tournament. The NHL took suspending the season to showcase it's best stars to a global audience, and thus making players available for this tournament should have been a priority as well. The players also owe something to their national federation that developed them in the first place.

who are you, and why the common sense? :D

but seriously, it's ironic that the star players get pressured to stay home instead of going. the NHL was the one that agreed to this olympic deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad