Näslund pulls out of team Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Since my French is better than my Swedish, I am really not able to read that article. So I'm wondering if the article states whether it was Näslund's decision to step down or was it the decision of the Swedish Olympic Committee? From what I have heard on the radio this morning (Vancouver) it sounded to me like it was more of a decision from Team Sweden.

If you could verify who it was that made the decision, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

;)

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Remy said:
Since my French is better than my Swedish, I am really not able to read that article. So I'm wondering if the article states whether it was Näslund's decision to step down or was it the decision of the Swedish Olympic Committee? From what I have heard on the radio this morning (Vancouver) it sounded to me like it was more of a decision from Team Sweden.

If you could verify who it was that made the decision, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

;)

Ummmmmm, nevermind! I guess it was Näslund's decision. Thanks anyway.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Basically it says that Näslund still has groin problems and has therefore turned down to go to Turin.

I do not mind this at all really, since I think a player like Thomas Holmström is even more important for the Swedish pp than Näslund. I would, however, would like to have seen Näslund gain some respect among Swedish fans with a good tournament. I hope this is not the end of Näslund's international career with the Swedish national team.

EliCash

Aug 2, 2005
Boston
I think Sweden will be fine without Naslund. Holmstrom should have absolutely been on the team anyway. But losing Forsberg...that would be brutal.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Predatore said:
I do not mind this at all really, since I think a player like Thomas Holmström is even more important for the Swedish pp than Näslund.

I agree. And Holmström is mad as hell at BÅG for not being selected in the first place, so he should play with even more determination and fire than usual in order to prove hm wrong.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't mind that much. He usually isn't all that great in the national team and if he is half-injured it is better to bring in a healthy Holmström/Nylander.

I might add I feel sorry for Näslund. He is a classy guy and really wanted to help Sweden to a great Olympic finish. Hope he gets healthy and get to help Vancouver instead.

Last edited:

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
haha. this tournament is a joke. who cares at this point. w so many of the world's best players not playing, it's hard for me to get really excited about the olympics now. it's sad. can any team really be that stoked after winning when half the teams are playing at much less than full strength. it'd be nice if this there was a month long nhl break and this tournament could be taken seriously. it's really sad. i'd hate to be a team sweden fan this morning. it's disgraceful that naslund played 2 nights ago but now says he cant go to turin. i hope he knows how many swedish kids' hearts he's breaking.

Piggymon

Sep 19, 2005
rananda said:
haha. this tournament is a joke. who cares at this point. w so many of the world's best players not playing, it's hard for me to get really excited about the olympics now. it's sad. can any team really be that stoked after winning when half the teams are playing at much less than full strength. it'd be nice if this there was a month long nhl break and this tournament could be taken seriously. it's really sad. i'd hate to be a team sweden fan this morning. it's disgraceful that naslund played 2 nights ago but now says he cant go to turin. i hope he knows how many swedish kids' hearts he's breaking.
:eek: overreactionboards.com!

Look at how Näslund played 2 nights ago and his last 10 games before that for that matter and tell me he could go but is just lazy.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Like it or not, this probably means that Näslund's reputation in Sweden is doomed beyond repair. He has almost always stunk badly when playing for the national team. He was ridiculed in a documentary for being a tax evader half a year ago, and now he pulls out of the golden generations last go at a big title in order to rest!

Piggymon

Sep 19, 2005
Leo Naphta said:
Like it or not, this probably means that Näslund's reputation in Sweden is doomed beyond repair. He has almost always stunk badly when playing for the national team. He was ridiculed in a documentary for being a tax evader half a year ago, and now he pulls out of the golden generations last go at a big title in order to rest!
Agreed, that's the worst part about this in my opinion, really wanted it to work out for him this time and then all the crap would have been forgotten.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Without Näslund I hope that BÅG moves Alfie to play with Forsberg and Z to the Sundin line. I think Z and Foppa not should play together since their game is to similar.

My lines:

Axelsson - Forsberg - Alfie

Zetterberg - Sundin - Modin

Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson

Jönsson - Påhlsson - Homer

I think this team is still good enough to win the tournament with a little luck. But of course it wouldn't hurt to have Näslund, Kim Johnsson and Kronwall in good shape on the team. And to kick out Hannula....

SChan*

I knew this was coming. Forsberg migth be next. But that would be a much bigger loss than naslund. Holmstrom is great on the power play.

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
SectionX said:
I knew this was coming. Forsberg migth be next. But that would be a much bigger loss than naslund. Holmstrom is great on the power play.

I don't know, I think Pete will still be making the trip to Turin. I'll bet a case of Molson and a box of Godiva chocolate that he plays in Turin.

;)

SChan*

Remy said:
I don't know, I think Pete will still be making the trip to Turin. I'll bet a case of Molson and a box of Godiva chocolate that he plays in Turin.

;)

i dont bet against you, but damn i hope you're right.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Leo Naphta said:

Yeah and this time around he'd have a reason for playing poorly. Oh perhaps it's because he's been injured for the past 15 games and has played like crap. Perhaps you would understand that a player would rather rest his body then further injury it, and not end up playing like crap for his home country. All of you are overreacting.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
MooseHunter said:
Yeah and this time around he'd have a reason for playing poorly. Oh perhaps it's because he's been injured for the past 15 games and has played like crap. Perhaps you would understand that a player would rather rest his body then further injury it, and not end up playing like crap for his home country. All of you are overreacting.

Read my post again. I'm just predicting what will happen. I don't necessarily agree with it.

Jazz

Predatore said:
Basically it says that Näslund still has groin problems and has therefore turned down to go to Turin.

I do not mind this at all really, since I think a player like Thomas Holmström is even more important for the Swedish pp than Näslund. I would, however, would like to have seen Näslund gain some respect among Swedish fans with a good tournament. I hope this is not the end of Näslund's international career with the Swedish national team.
I was wondering why Holmström was left off in the first place.

I completely agree with your sentiment regarding Näslund and gaining some respect back home on Sweden. Unfortunately, I think his interanational career is pretty much over.. :(

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
MooseHunter said:
Oh perhaps it's because he's been injured for the past 15 games and has played like crap. Perhaps you would understand that a player would rather rest his body then further injury it, and not end up playing like crap for his home country.
We would indeed understand Näslund would rather rest his body than playing 15 games injured for Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad