Value of: Myers to Detroit

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Can't trade Myers until we know what happens with the Trouba situation when he's eligible to sign an extension July 1st

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
pass.

unless they are taking a crappy red wings contract back, not interested.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
If Trouba signs long term this summer then I'd be open to something involving Myers. Until then would rather stand pat with our D.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not all that interested in him. Now that other guy they are hoping will extend, I hope he makes it clear his days are numbered in Winnipeg at some point this summer. It is a long wait to UFA, but hopefully Trouba is Parise or how Shattenkirk seems to be about New York.

I have never really understood the continued fascination with Myers though. He has been pretty mediocre since the league figured him out after his rookie year.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Nyquist

*ducks*

I think the value is fine (though I might be biased.)

But I'd rather move Nyquist for picks/prospects. And I don't think Winnipeg needs Nyquist at all, forwards seem to be the least of their concerns.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If Trouba signs long term this summer then I'd be open to something involving Myers. Until then would rather stand pat with our D.

Seriously doubt that Trouba signs long term this summer, Not when he's salary arbitration eligible in the summer of 2018 maybe if Cheveldayoff offers him $7.5 million or $8 million per then maybe other then that i doubt it.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Nothing? Why would we want a D man who came off both hip and knee surgery last summer and whom missed 71 games no thanks. No need for Tyler Myers the only D man i want from Winnipeg is to bring Jacob Trouba home to Detroit that's it.

This. Trouba is a pipedream but I definitely want no part of Myers at this point as consolation prize.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Both sides have their reasons to shy away from trading/acquiring Myers. Given his current value, there's no point in trading him now - if he doesn't bounce back, he's a LTIR candidate, so there's that. Meanwhile, there's not much to like about last year of his (although some of his absence was due to personal reasons, not injuries).

Anyway, it's just sad to see that Detroit's biggest piece of hope is apparently three years away from even being available for them.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
What would it take for the Wings to get Myers from Winnipeg?

I have no idea why Detroit, as things stand now, would even bother if he was free. He's not a top pairing, and we're already paying a bunch of mediocre defensemen too much for too long. Hard, hard pass.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I agree. For his 5.5m Chevy could fit an easy way to spend the money better. I would leave him expose to Vegas and hope he's selected.

I'm actually leaning towards this option myself, given that we have a proven defenseman who can take care of even some of his minutes next year, and that we have Trouba locked up for more than a year. Currently we do not have either, so it's a no go.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It was Trouba's choice not sign a long term contract. He's leveraging for trade or to be a UFA in three more years. Nothing Chevy or any GM can do about it, if a young play wants to be a UFA in seven years after he signs his first contract (in most cases)

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Nothing? Why would we want a D man who came off both hip and knee surgery last summer and whom missed 71 games no thanks. No need for Tyler Myers the only D man i want from Winnipeg is to bring Jacob Trouba home to Detroit that's it.

Lol at the implication that Myers wouldn't be your best defenceman

:laugh:

I agree. For his 5.5m Chevy could fit an easy way to spend the money better. I would leave him expose to Vegas and hope he's selected.

Giving up Myers to keep Lowry or Armia is probably one of the stupidest ideas I've ever read on this website.

Let's give up a player at our biggest postition of need to keep a mediocre third liner we can easily replace. Genius!

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Lol at the implication that Myers wouldn't be your best defenceman

:laugh:

Very familiar with the poster you quoted. There is no implication that Myers wouldn't be our best defenseman there. The point is that we'd be giving up assets for an injury-riddled guy who isn't a clear-cut, long-term solution to our top pairing. In that sense, there's really no need for him - he likely isn't going to make a dent in our defensive acumen, nor is he reliable to be that in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad