My up to date roster for IIHF U18 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
letterH said:
Oh, no Western Canada is represented as much as kids from Quebec and Ontario. I recall those in the East seemed to have a fit that the Jr team was filled with kids from the West so I am wondering what they think now. If I recall correctly many decided to cheer for other countrues because of it. Most if us just want the best team on the ice and I hope they win whether there is 0 westerners or 20.

No one cheered for other countries.

Also these are teh top 17 year olds that have not yet been eliminated. Perhaps some good 87s in the dub are still alive in the playoffs.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Patrick McNeill fell in practice this morning, dislocated his shoulder, out four weeks, not going to Europe. Will be replaced by Red Deer's Paul Kurceba, who will join the team in Europe on the weekend.

espo*

BobMckenzie said:
Patrick McNeill fell in practice this morning, dislocated his shoulder, out four weeks, not going to Europe. Will be replaced by Red Deer's Paul Kurceba, who will join the team in Europe on the weekend.
How do you think the team looks on paper? Wish we had some other top guys on board but you go with what you've got and play proud.I know we're in tough but do you think we should have a solid enough team to pull it out if they play as a team?

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
cyclops said:
How do you think the team looks on paper? Wish we had some other top guys on board but you go with what you've got and play proud.I know we're in tough but do you think we should have a solid enough team to pull it out if they play as a team?

It seems to me that Canada is missing its top three scorers (Crosby, Brule and Cogliano) as well as some of its top Dmen (Staal) but they are set in goal. In my opinion they will certainly challenge for a medal but I am not sure if they have the talent to get by the U.S.

espo*

VOB said:
It seems to me that Canada is missing its top three scorers (Crosby, Brule and Cogliano) as well as some of its top Dmen (Staal) but they are set in goal. In my opinion they will certainly challenge for a medal but I am not sure if they have the talent to get by the U.S.
Yeah,i looked at the U.S hockey website list and i recognize a lot of the players and they appear to be pretty loaded.Imagine Kessel at this thing eh? Tear the place apart if you ask me and he's not the only firepower they have. I think it's about time they started showing this tournament up here.I don't understand why we don't get it.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
VOB said:

and Little?...too bad he got hurt, but he should get an invite to the summer WJC camp regardless.

Throw in another guy like McArdle from Moose Jaw, a guy like Downie from Windsor and Brock Bradford out of the USHL, who had a pretty good U18 last August for Canada and they have left 2 1/2 forward lines at home who would win this tournament on their own!

Carey Price will be key in net if Canada wants to challenge for the Gold. I still believe they have the talent up front with 2 very solid offensive lines and one heck of a shut-down line. Dan Bertram will be key up front with guys like Latendresse, O'Marra, Setoguchi and Yellow Horn, who have all filled the net in the past. A shut-down line of Clune, Bass, Clutterbuck or one or two others could prove very important and don't forget these guys can score some too!

I'm looking forward to this tourney next week on TSN and while Canada may not be the favourite this year, they definitely have enough to compete and should improve on last year's 4th place finish. The roster looks a little stronger this year than last.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Too bad that Crosby and Brulé are missing.
Latendresse played awesome in Drummondville's playoffs.
I expect him to step up to the plate in big fashion.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
chsb said:
Too bad that Crosby and Brulé are missing.
Latendresse played awesome in Drummondville's playoffs.
I expect him to step up to the plate in big fashion.

Yeah, it's too bad those guys are missing, but I would've liked to of seen Bryan Little and Andrew Cogliano at this tourney. I'm still looking forward to seeing Setoguchi, Bertram and Latendresse. Canada is missing some serious firepower up front!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
DUBENDORF, Switzerland (CP)

Canada relinquished a two-goal lead in tying Finland 2-2 in an under-18 exhibition hockey game Monday, and coach Shawn Camp deemed it to be exactly what his players needed as a final prep for the world tournament they begin Thursday in the Czech Republic.

"This was a great test for us because the Finns played a very North American type of game," said Camp. "They were physical from the start and they skated well.

"This was just the kind of game we needed to prepare for the tournament."

Canada led on goals by Dan Bertram of Calgary in the first period and by Cody Bass of Guelph, Ont., in the second.

Goaltender Pier-Olivier Pelletier of St-Louis, Que., played the first half of the game and kept the Finns off the scoreboard.

Finland scored twice on Carey Price of Williams Lake, B.C., in the second period to tie it.

The Finns played a much more physical brand of hockey than did the Swiss team that Canada beat 6-1 in an exhibition game Sunday.

Camp continues to tinker with forward combinations as his players adapt to ice surfaces larger than most they skate on in Canada. Also, there will no centre red line for tournament games.

"The last four days have been a real coming together," he said. "The guys are starting to know each other and to know each others' personalities a lot better.

"We're going to emphasize using the stretch pass in the neutral zone and quick puck movement in transition in the next couple of days."

Camp, the head coach of the OHL's Sarnia Sting, will have time for two full practices before Canada's opener against Germany on Thursday (TSN, 9 a.m. EDT). The tournament will be held in the Czech cities of Ceske Budjovice and Plzen.

He won't let his players take the lightly-regarded Germans for granted.

"They're very hard-working," said Camp. "They've been a team that can surprise teams if you don't show up to work so we're going to have to use our speed to try and pin them down in their own zone."

Bertram, who starred at Boston College, was Canada's most productive forward in the two exhibitions.

"Dan has been our best player through the pre-tournament games so far," said Camp. "He's moving his feet all the time and going to the net well.

"He plays a very smart game. He's dangerous around the net and he takes advantages of the opportunities that are created."

Camp has been using Bertram with Tom Pyatt of Thunder Bay, Ont., and Colton Yellow Horn of Brocket, Alta.

"That line has been providing some consistent offence for us," said Camp.

The defence has played well. Brendan Mikkeson of St. Albert, Alta., and Kristopher Letang of Montreal, in particular, have impressed the coaches.

"Mikkelson has been very good at moving the puck, and Letang has been impressive so far," said Camp. "He's a great skater who handles the puck very well and he's been dangerous on the point on the power play."

Canada's roster is comprised of players whose teams were knocked out of major junior and college playoffs last week. Canada won the world under-18 title two years ago and finished fourth last year.

Canada has no injury problems thus far.

"So far, so good," said Camp. "We seem to be fairly healthy.

"There are a few bumps and bruises but nothing we've recognized as serious at all."

Now the real games begin.

"We feel very good about our chances," said Camp. "We're going to have to have everybody contributing to have a chance at the gold and, as is the case in these tournaments, we'll have to have good goaltending and strong defence as well."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->