MY top 30 for the 2007 draft

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Comments:
This is not a mock draft this is my rankings of the 07 eligable prospects. All comments are welcome. I live in europe (Sweden) most of the year, but I go to Canada a few times a year, I also have friends who go reguarly to WHL,NCAA and OHL games and I watch live streams from the QMJHL. I watched the U20 live. My blind spot is the USHL i can only go on reports here, so the players from this league are probably ranked to low. Well ,enjoy.

1.Kyle Turris C Kyle is a creative center with decent backchecking skills if he was 20 puonds heavier and played in the WHL he would be the clear cut No1 IMO. Turris is fast With great shot. He has the higest potential in the draft .
2.James Van Riemsdyk LW JVR is big powerfull winger with nice hands and skating, I think he is missing a meanstreak though, the safest of the top 3 picks will at worst be a great 3rd liner.
3.Pat Kane RW Best offensive player in the draft and was no1 on my list for a very long time. The things missing from Pats game is backchecking and size,if he can improve those hell be a great player.
4.Alexei Cherepanov RW Goalscorer, not extremly fast or powerful but get the job done end is proven against men. Acurrate shot, but it could use some power.
5.Karl Alzner D Great Allround D-man, i wish he was more physical, but gets the job done.
6.Jakub Voracek RW Strong allround forward, dont think hell ever be more than a 2:nd liner though.
7.Keaton Ellerby D Big guy with nice offensive instincts and good skating, needs to add muscle and use his size better.
8.Sam Gagner C Great playmaker, good hockey sence but lacks that top-end potential. Second line upside.
9.Logan Couture C Nice skillset and a great character guy, unlucky with injuries this year, needs to improve his skaing.
10.Bill Sweatt W Fastest player in the draft, has the ability to make plays at high speed, but may lack skill to be a top six player.
11.Lars Eller C/LW He looks like Zetterberg in swedish J20, good playmaker, needs to be improve his shot, Could become the steal of this draft if he falls into the bottom half of the first round.
12.Mikael Backlund C Troubled by injuries but, hes a fast physical offensive player, needs to stay healthy.
13.Ryan McDonagh D Strong allround d-man
14.Angelo Esposito C Great speed and skill level but he is inconsistent. Could become the best player from this draft, but might as well bust. High risk pick.
15.Zach Hamill C Perimeter offensive player, is good defensevly but needs to get his nose dirty.
16.Sergei Korostin RW Great skater, with a nice shot, and a nice set of one on one moves, still hasnt found the defensive zone though. A bit of a floater otherwise a top 10 talent in this draft.
17.Brett MacLean LW Good size, shot and works hard, needs to improve his skating.
18.Tomas Hickey D Smoothskating offensive d-man, nice outlet passes.
19.Simon Hjalmarsson W Goalscorer with nice work etic, a little small and loses to many puck battles for my liking. A poor mans HÃ¥kan Loob.
20.Dana Tyrell LW Works like a dog every shift, decent hands, If he was 6'2 he would be a top 5 pick.
21.David Perron RW Strong offensive player, some what of a late bloomer nice potential though. Very good at protecting the puck njedds to improve his physical skill (strenght and spped).
22.Colton Gilles C/D Big, fast and a big hitter. Missing some offensive instincts and is somewaht of a cheap shot artist.
23.Logan MacMillan C Good allround center, needs to get stronger and faster, safe pick.
24.Maxim Mayorov LW Big fast nice hands, needs to work harder and use his size, nice upside.
25.Oskar Möller RW Hardworking winger whoo gets the job done, has a great shot and decent playmaking skills. Not sure if he can translate his skill to higher levels though,
26.Nick Petrecki D Mean defenseman with good skatind and a big shot, lacks hockeysense though.
27.James O'brien C Big allround center needs to use his size more. somewhat raw overall, but nice upside.
28.Keven Vellieux C Homongus center with a good skill level and a nice shot. Looked spectacular int the prospects game, but is inconsistent. High risk pick ,needs to improve skating consisntsy.
29.Akim Aliu W Big, fast, mean and talented. Character issues and bad numbers makes you a bit nervous.
30.Joakim Andersson C Best 2-way player in the draft ,strong and hasa good work etic. The risk is he never becomes more than a 4th center whos good at killing penalties, at best hes a 2-way 2nd liner or an elite 3:rd liner.

Honorable mentions. Riley Nash, Tommy Cross, Brandon Sutter, Kevin Shattenkirk,Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i.

Hey hope you like it.

By the way last years top 30 can be found here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=255203 if anyones interested.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Personally, I don't see Voracek falling out of TOP 5, he has great combination of skill and size.

And Korostin is too high, in my opinion.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Personally, I don't see Voracek falling out of TOP 5, he has great combination of skill and size.

And Korostin is too high, in my opinion.

I think it all depends if Alzner goes before the 5th pick...that means either turris, JVR or Voracek slides down to the Caps :crossfing

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
Leafs Dont Need D-Men

We need a scoring forward not another D-man, We are set on D Finally, lets get a sniper

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
The biggest surprise to me is Bill Sweatt at 10th overall. There's definitely no consensus at all as to where this guy will go... he could be a late 1st round/early 2nd round selection just as much as one team in the bottom portion of the top-10 could cause a surprise by selecting him early. Sweatt's true upside seems to be hard to figure out at this point too.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
The biggest surprise to me is Bill Sweatt at 10th overall. There's definitely no consensus at all as to where this guy will go... he could be a late 1st round/early 2nd round selection just as much as one team in the bottom portion of the top-10 could cause a surprise by selecting him early. Sweatt's true upside seems to be hard to figure out at this point too.

You could probably switch Sweatt with Hamill at 15. But with legs like Sweat i definetly could see someone taking a chance on him that high.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Kane will go #1 or #2 with Turris
Sweatt is ranked too high
Esposito won't last past 10
Alex Plante should be top 30
Vellieux,Aliu,O'brien should last till second round

GSK*

We need a scoring forward not another D-man, We are set on D Finally, lets get a sniper

Wow.... Are you able to read. This is not a mock draft but only the list of top-30 prospect by Askel... He said it over the list !

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Yes Korostin is high but I belive hell become a great player.

Sweatt is fast, strong and skilled. Hes a safe pick (will be a third liner at least) with offensive upside.

Maybe Im to hard on Voracek, but he lost his top 4 place at the U18 in my book. I think Andersson is better defensevly.

Iggy I dont care where people will get drafted this is my list.

Thanks for the feed back.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Comments:

11.Lars Eller C/LW He looks like Zetterberg in swedish J20, good playmaker, needs to be improve his shot, Could become the steal of this draft if he falls into the bottom half of the first round.

Great list. Nice work,

Although im guessing you havent seen too many of Lars Ellers goalwinning slapshots. He has in fact a very good shot. I don´t think the Zetterberg-comparision is very accurate either.. Eller is flashier, but is not as good defensively and needs to work on the play without the puck.

Just wanted to point this out...

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Yes Korostin is high but I belive hell become a great player.

Sweatt is fast, strong and skilled. Hes a safe pick (will be a third liner at least) with offensive upside.

Maybe Im to hard on Voracek, but he lost his top 4 place at the U18 in my book. I think Andersson is better defensevly.

Iggy I dont care where people will get drafted this is my list.

Thanks for the feed back.

mmm..... this part is confusing. He dominated QMJHL playoffs, after his team lost he came to help his national team, he played 3 games and scored 3 points. So he loses his TOP 4 spot because he scored 3 points in 3 games without even training with a team before WJC? Weak argument IMO.

And maybe Andersson is beter defensivly. But overall Voracek has better 2-way game.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I had JVR and Cherepanov after Voracek before the U18, these where the top 2 offensive player in the tournament. Voracek May have scored 3 points but he did not look as dominant as the other 2.

Voracek has a very good 2-way game i am not diputing that in any way, maybe I should have written Andersson has the best defensive game of any forward in ths draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->