Prospect Info: My Top 20 Hab Prospects List (Updated #503)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Always enjoy your input as you're one of a select few around here who watches almost everyone of our prospects.

Just noticed Primeau earned Rookie of the Week with a .956 save % and 1.13 GAA and has very solid numbers so far this year for an 18 year old, has he been that good or are his numbers more reflective on the strength of the team?

he does play for a high scoring team so that helps, and he didn't face a very tough team this past weekend but was close to a SO in the 1st game as a weak call led to a PP that he got screened on so nothing he could really do. I thought it was the best I'd seen from him in the few games I caught (his school has free streams of all home games) plus I recall hearing/reading at the draft that the reason he fell so low was due to him having an injury and trying to play through it or something to that nature. Either way I like what I've seen from him.

I also really like our other NCAA goalie Hawkey but he's had some consistency issues I'm guessing as his numbers are up and down. Really like him and think he's perhaps our most underrated prospect (although Primeau could take that spot) Hawkey has one of the youngest teams in the NCAA in front of him so perhaps that is why his numbers are a bit all over the place. He's looked good in the games i've seen at least. Then again Jake Evans team is like the 3rd youngest of all D-1 teams and they are ranked 4th overall in the NCAA (behind Poehling's team which is ranked 2nd overall)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Two years later, the benefit of hindsight suggests that your judgment was pretty good.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Good list, i agree with the majority of it. Very excited for Poehling, I think he's closer that most think.

Over the next 1-2 years my guess is we see those d-men we drafted this year move up.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Two years later, the benefit of hindsight suggests that your judgment was pretty good.

thanks. When doing these kind of lists, you are going to have your hits and misses but since I've been doing this since '02 you do learn to get more of a feel for it. I do wish I had more time to see more of the CHLers or Euro leagues from year to year as some years it works out that I see a lot of one league and other years I don't.

Reactions: DAChampion

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
thanks. When doing these kind of lists, you are going to have your hits and misses but since I've been doing this since '02 you do learn to get more of a feel for it. I do wish I had more time to see more of the CHLers or Euro leagues from year to year as some years it works out that I see a lot of one league and other years I don't.

I really enjoy your posts. Lots of informative stuff and your are even keeled.

Thanks dude.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
1. McCarron
2. Hudon
3. Juulsen
4. Scherbak
5. Andrighetto
6. DLR
7. Carr
8. Reway
9. Fucale
10. Lehkonen
11. Nygren
12. Tinordi
13. Vejdemo
14. Grégoire
15. Lernout
16. Evans
17. McNiven
18. Bourque
19. Audette
20. Ellis
21. Dietz
22. Addison
23. MacMillan
24. Bozon
25. Johnston

I don't know what I saw in McCarron. :laugh:

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
A bit late but wanted to post my start of the season list. Hudon, DLR, Mete graduated. Have seen them all play this year except Henrikson and Staum. I opted to leave Addison out since he may be out for the season but he would be in the top 20 for sure.

Top 20

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Jake Evans
3. Noah Juulsen
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Nikita Scherbak
6. Joni Ikonen
7. Josh Brook
8. Michael McNiven
9. Michael McCarron
10. Will Bitten
11. Cal Fleury
12. Jarret Tyszka
13. Caden Primeau

14. Brett Lernout
15. Scott Walford
16. Hayden Hawkey
17. Lukas Vejdemo
18. Daniel Audette
19. Jérémy Grégoire
20. Zach Fucale

HM - Michael Pezzetta, Tom Parisi, Markus Eisenschmid

Solid list as far as Im concerned.. You must be very high on Evans to rank him over guys like Juulsen Scherbak and Lindgren.. Personally Ive only saw him played once in a link Belial posted on the prospects thread and wasnt that impressed but it was only 1 game.. McCarron is where he should be IMO, his lack of progression is very concerning.. Great list nonetheless, keep on your good job!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Good list, i agree with the majority of it. Very excited for Poehling, I think he's closer that most think.

Over the next 1-2 years my guess is we see those d-men we drafted this year move up.

thanks. For sure I could see at least one of the blueliners we just picked move up as Brook looks the part and I have liked what i've seen from Tyszka if he can improve in his own end. The good part about the picks, all have size, skating, speed and mobility.

I really enjoy your posts. Lots of informative stuff and your are even keeled.

Thanks dude.

thanks, I try to see things from both sides and not get too high or low on things but it can be hard not to overrate or underrate someone.

I don't know what I saw in McCarron. :laugh:

I was so impressed with him right after the draft at the U-20 summer tournament for Team USA, he started out great in the AHL and then gets called up too soon and has never looked right since. I really hate how this team handles it's youth, not saying that it's all on them, McCarron needs to figure out how to use his frame to his advantage and translate it into a set role. I think his bread and butter will be on the PP screening goalies. He does such a good job of it at the AHL level at least.

But everyone will have their misses. I remember when Ryder got sent to the ECHL for a 2nd time, I said he would never make the NHL. I gave up on Garon after a disappointing playoffs vs Hamilton and then the next season I thought he was a surefire starter for his play with Hamilton although that team was stacked like no other. Still can't believe they didn't win the cup that year.

Solid list as far as Im concerned.. You must be very high on Evans to rank him over guys like Juulsen Scherbak and Lindgren.. Personally Ive only saw him played once in a link Belial posted on the prospects thread and wasnt that impressed but it was only 1 game.. McCarron is where he should be IMO, his lack of progression is very concerning.. Great list nonetheless, keep on your good job!

He's crushing the NCAA on one of the youngest teams in the entire NCAA. He's smart, skilled and hard working while being the leader in face-offs in the NCAA. I think he needs to get stronger for sure and could stand to get quicker. Has gotten better and better every year since being drafted and for me that's huge, always look for that when they just keep improving as to me it's a great sign.

That said I thought for sure Danny Kristo would have been a solid RW for us after he crushed the NCAA, he was on the best line in the league and was likely the 2nd best player behind Johnny Hockey who went on to win the Hobey Baker. It's very hard to know how someone will do when they make the jump to pro hockey but Evans has the tools just needs some work on the physical aspects. Kristo had the tools but not the work ethic so hopefully Evans is a home run for Timmins and his staff.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
thanks. For sure I could see at least one of the blueliners we just picked move up as Brook looks the part and I have liked what i've seen from Tyszka if he can improve in his own end. The good part about the picks, all have size, skating, speed and mobility.

thanks, I try to see things from both sides and not get too high or low on things but it can be hard not to overrate or underrate someone.

I was so impressed with him right after the draft at the U-20 summer tournament for Team USA, he started out great in the AHL and then gets called up too soon and has never looked right since. I really hate how this team handles it's youth, not saying that it's all on them, McCarron needs to figure out how to use his frame to his advantage and translate it into a set role. I think his bread and butter will be on the PP screening goalies. He does such a good job of it at the AHL level at least.

But everyone will have their misses. I remember when Ryder got sent to the ECHL for a 2nd time, I said he would never make the NHL. I gave up on Garon after a disappointing playoffs vs Hamilton and then the next season I thought he was a surefire starter for his play with Hamilton although that team was stacked like no other. Still can't believe they didn't win the cup that year.

He's crushing the NCAA on one of the youngest teams in the entire NCAA. He's smart, skilled and hard working while being the leader in face-offs in the NCAA. I think he needs to get stronger for sure and could stand to get quicker. Has gotten better and better every year since being drafted and for me that's huge, always look for that when they just keep improving as to me it's a great sign.

That said I thought for sure Danny Kristo would have been a solid RW for us after he crushed the NCAA, he was on the best line in the league and was likely the 2nd best player behind Johnny Hockey who went on to win the Hobey Baker. It's very hard to know how someone will do when they make the jump to pro hockey but Evans has the tools just needs some work on the physical aspects. Kristo had the tools but not the work ethic so hopefully Evans is a home run for Timmins and his staff.

I still wouldn't write off McCarron. There's a player in there somewhere. Definitely been handled poorly. Should've gone the Hudon route.

Slowly becoming a believer in Evans. Think he should at least be an upgrade on Pleks. Would be great if he could be an upgrade on Danault. Like you said, it's all about the physical aspects with him. The more stronger and faster he can get the better.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I still wouldn't write off McCarron. There's a player in there somewhere. Definitely been handled poorly. Should've gone the Hudon route.

Slowly becoming a believer in Evans. Think he should at least be an upgrade on Pleks. Would be great if he could be an upgrade on Danault. Like you said, it's all about the physical aspects with him. The more stronger and faster he can get the better.

I'm not giving up hope in Big Mac. He is very close to being an NHLer, and at his size he doesn't need to do much to have a significant impact on a game. In the AHL when he is playing his best he is able to really work the cycle well and wear down the D. In the NHL up to now he hasn't had the same success and the D are able to strip the puck from him sooner. If he can buy himself a few more long shifts in the O zone with his boardwork he will be a very useful player. If he can wins draws too, that will make him really handy... and if he ever gets used in front of the net of the PP... of course that is all wishful thinking, but I believe there is still a chance.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
So can Evans sign elsewhere this summer or not? I'm still not clear. I think it is a moot point, but we love to worry around here!

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
So can Evans sign elsewhere this summer or not? I'm still not clear. I think it is a moot point, but we love to worry around here!
I think we have until mid August to sign Evans. After that he becomes a free agent and can sign anywhere.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There was a recent article in the Athletic with a prospect ranking.

The list is quite similar. He had the top the "tiers" as:

Poeling
----
Scherbak
Evans
------
Ikonen
Juulsen
Big Mac
-----

Hey Montreal, where would your "tiers" be in your list? I like that way of thinking about it.

Here:

Wheeler: The complete Montreal Canadiens prospect ranking

Poehling
Evans
Juulsen
Lindgren

Scherbak
Ikonen
Brook
McNiven

McCarron
Bitten

Fleury
Tyszka
Primeau

Addison
Lernout
Walford
Hawkey

Vejdemo
Audette

Gregoire
Fucale
Pezzetta

Parisi
Eisenschmid
Bourque
Henrikson
Koberstein
Staum
Waked

I look at the first group as one that doesn't have a lot of holes in their game, stand a very good chance of being an NHLer.

The next group I think they have at least one major hole but skilled with high upside. Brook I put in this group cause I don't know him that well yet, was thinking hard about putting him in the 1st group as he seems to have a lot of impressive tools but I didn't want to get carried away until I see more.

The next group I see as sure bets to be in the NHL but question their upside.

The next group I like their upside but can't say they are sure bets to the NHL.

The next group I could see in the NHL but not sure their upside is high.

The next group I think they have the skill or physical attributes (speed, skating) to make the NHL but question if they can make an impact or not.

The next group I think could one day see time in the NHL or never get out of the AHL.

The last group I don't see NHL upside yet.

I think we have until mid August to sign Evans. After that he becomes a free agent and can sign anywhere.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

correct, 8-15-18 is the deadline.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Poehling
Evans
Juulsen
Lindgren

Scherbak
Ikonen
Brook
McNiven

McCarron
Bitten

Fleury
Tyszka
Primeau

Addison
Lernout
Walford
Hawkey

Vejdemo
Audette

Gregoire
Fucale
Pezzetta

Parisi
Eisenschmid
Bourque
Henrikson
Koberstein
Staum
Waked

I look at the first group as one that doesn't have a lot of holes in their game, stand a very good chance of being an NHLer.

The next group I think they have at least one major hole but skilled with high upside. Brook I put in this group cause I don't know him that well yet, was thinking hard about putting him in the 1st group as he seems to have a lot of impressive tools but I didn't want to get carried away until I see more.

The next group I see as sure bets to be in the NHL but question their upside.

The next group I like their upside but can't say they are sure bets to the NHL.

The next group I could see in the NHL but not sure their upside is high.

The next group I think they have the skill or physical attributes (speed, skating) to make the NHL but question if they can make an impact or not.

The next group I think could one day see time in the NHL or never get out of the AHL.

The last group I don't see NHL upside yet.

correct, 8-15-18 is the deadline.

Awesome. I buy that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Year end top 20. I opted to graduate Scherbak since no way is he back in the AHL but decided to rank McCarron, Juulsen, Mete since I don't know where they will be next year.

Top 20

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Josh Brook
3. Victor Mete
4. Noah Juulsen
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jake Evans
7. Cale Fleury
8. Charlie Lindgren
9. Joni Ikonen
10. Jarret Tyszka
11. Will Bitten
12. Michael McNiven
13. Hayden Hawkey
14. Rinat Valiev
15. Kerby Rychel
16. Michael McCarron
17. Lukas Vejdemo
18. Brett Lernout
19. Scott Walford
20. Daniel Audette

HM Jeremiah Addison, Simon Bourque, Jérémy Grégoire

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Year end top 20. I opted to graduate Scherbak since no way is he back in the AHL but decided to rank McCarron, Juulsen, Mete since I don't know where they will be next year.

Top 20

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Josh Brook
3. Victor Mete
4. Noah Juulsen
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jake Evans
7. Cale Fleury
8. Charlie Lindgren
9. Joni Ikonen
10. Jarret Tyszka
11. Will Bitten
12. Michael McNiven
13. Hayden Hawkey
14. Rinat Valiev
15. Kerby Rychel
16. Michael McCarron
17. Lukas Vejdemo
18. Brett Lernout
19. Scott Walford
20. Daniel Audette

Brook ahead of Mete? Who is already in NHL. You must be high on Brook

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That top 20 desperately needs an injection of talent.. and I hate that we are going to lose at least 2 of our 2nd round picks in this draft to try and pretend like this "core" can contend for a wildcard appearance.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His numbers are down this playoffs

in the first round the team didn't play like they had throughout the year, personally I thought the goaltending was a bit weak and they just didn't seem to bring it like they did throughout the season. That said I thought Brook played well, other then a stupid penalty here or there like when he stuck his knee to trip a guy, always hate seeing that. Swift Current that was a low scoring series against what might be the best team in the CHL.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Top 20

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Josh Brook
3. Victor Mete
4. Noah Juulsen
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jake Evans
7. Cale Fleury
8. Charlie Lindgren
9. Joni Ikonen
10. Jarret Tyszka
11. Will Bitten
12. Michael McNiven
13. Hayden Hawkey
14. Rinat Valiev
15. Kerby Rychel
16. Michael McCarron
17. Lukas Vejdemo
18. Brett Lernout
19. Scott Walford
20. Daniel Audette

Add Zadina, plus four 2nd-round picks, plus maybe another 1st or prospects for Pacioretty and it starts looking like a great prospect pool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad