Prospect Info: My Top 20 Hab Prospects List (Updated #503)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lukas Vejdemo stats are scary similar to DLR!

DLR at 18 had way more impressive stats, he was in the SHL and doing well, at the same age Vejdemo saw a whopping 3 games in the SHL with 0 pts. They aren't even close to the same level. At 19, Vejdemo did ok in the SHL for his first full time but DLR saw time in the NHL so still not at the same level. I only saw a few games of Vejdemo this year, he looked about the same, he's got the frame, skating, speed, but can't seem to put it all together.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
It's close as I would usually have McCarron easily higher cause a 6'6 center that goes to the net hard could have a bigger impact for us. I'm a little concerned that he hasn't really looked that well so far with the IceCaps but he could be a beast for us. Juulsen I have always liked but still wonder about his upside, to me he's an NHLer for sure and I've been saying that but I still need more time before I have a better feel for his upside. Really like Juulsen's physical game and he's so good in his own end while also having the big point shot. But I don't know if he's going to top out as a top 4 or if he can be a top pairing D.

I haven't watched Juulsen play a lot, how is his mobility? Especially how the NHL is trending, mobility is key in up and coming Ds and is very telling on if he'll be a top pairing D or not. Really looking forward to see how he looks in the Canada vs Russia series and will most likely be at the WJCs as well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't watched Juulsen play a lot, how is his mobility? Especially how the NHL is trending, mobility is key in up and coming Ds and is very telling on if he'll be a top pairing D or not. Really looking forward to see how he looks in the Canada vs Russia series and will most likely be at the WJCs as well.

fine although it could use some improvement. He would benefit from working on skating/foot speed/mobility. It's not a problem but improving would help him a lot when he turns pro.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Montreal, what do you think of lernout? I kind of saw him as a guy with a decent chance to be an NHL player, but perhaps not huge upside.

Is he low on your list because of that low upside or because he just isn't likely to be NHL material?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is Juulsen a LD? Will he be ready next year

RD, it's hard to say when a prospect will ready since the jump from juniors to the NHL is so big. That said to me he's easily going to be an NHLer as there are so many things to like about him, just a matter how when and how good can he be? I am always against rushing prospects to the NHL so for me he'll need to be really good in order to make the NHL next year. But a year or so in the AHL should be really good for him to work on things.

Montreal, what do you think of lernout? I kind of saw him as a guy with a decent chance to be an NHL player, but perhaps not huge upside.

Is he low on your list because of that low upside or because he just isn't likely to be NHL material?

I'm not as impressed with Lernout as others, but that's actually how i see it, a guy with a decent chance to be an NHLer but not huge upside. I could see him being a 6th/7th type ala Pateryn, he's big, moves well, will take the body. They even put him on the PP which is a bit surprising.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
finally got around to my season ending list. Left Reway off since i don't know what will happen with him. Graduated McCarron. I only prospects I haven't seen play a game are Staum and Henrikson although I didn't get to see Koberstein this year.

Top 20

1. Mikhail Sergachev
2. Charlie Lindgren
3. Charles Hudon
4. Noah Juulsen
5. Victor Mete
6. Michael McNiven
7. Nikita Scherbak
8. Will Bitten
9. Jake Evans
10. Hayden Hawkey
11. Jacob de la Rose
12. Brett Lernout
13. Simon Bourque
14. Jeremiah Addison
15. Matt Bradley
16. Casey Staum
17. Zach Fucale
18. Lukas Vejdemo
19. Daniel Audette
20. Markus Eisenschmid

HM - Connor Crisp, Michael Pezzetta, Arvid Henrikson

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
finally got around to my season ending list. Left Reway off since i don't know what will happen with him. Graduated McCarron. I only prospects I haven't seen play a game are Staum and Henrikson although I didn't get to see Koberstein this year.

Top 20

1. Mikhail Sergachev
2. Charlie Lindgren
3. Charles Hudon
4. Noah Juulsen
5. Victor Mete
6. Michael McNiven
7. Nikita Scherbak
8. Will Bitten
9. Jake Evans
10. Hayden Hawkey
11. Jacob de la Rose
12. Brett Lernout
13. Simon Bourque
14. Jeremiah Addison
15. Matt Bradley
16. Casey Staum
17. Zach Fucale
18. Lukas Vejdemo
19. Daniel Audette
20. Markus Eisenschmid

If I can ask, why do you put Hawkey ahead of Fucale?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Top 20

1. Mikhail Sergachev
2. Charlie Lindgren
3. Charles Hudon
4. Noah Juulsen
5. Victor Mete
6. Michael McNiven
7. Nikita Scherbak
8. Will Bitten
9. Jake Evans
10. Hayden Hawkey
11. Jacob de la Rose
12. Brett Lernout
13. Simon Bourque
14. Jeremiah Addison
15. Matt Bradley
16. Casey Staum
17. Zach Fucale
18. Lukas Vejdemo
19. Daniel Audette
20. Markus Eisenschmid

Nice to see Mete ranked 5th on your list, Im not sure I have Hudon ranked that high personally, I would probably rank him 6-7th considering he is at the end of his AHL stage and isnt really dominating out there, his lack of speed\strength is still an issue while a guy like Terry outproduced him big time.. I would rank DLR higher too based on his chances to play in the NHL, even if its in a bottom lines role.. I have Fucale higher as well.

Last edited:

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
McCarron hasn't graduated from my list should be in AHL still developing. Shame about Reway would have been Top 10.

4 really-good goalie prospects and some nice future pairings on D. Mete-Juulsen, Sergachev-Lernout

Sergachev, Hudon and De la Rose should be NHLers next year, Scherback needs a new coach in Laval!

1-Sergachev
2-McCarron
3-Scherback
4-Hudon
5-De La Rose
6-Lindgren
7-Juulsen
8-Fucale
9-Mete
10-Lernout
11-McNiven
12-Bitten
13-Hawkey
14-Evans
15-Bradley
16-Bourque
17-Addison
18-Audette
19-Vejdemo
20-Henrikson

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
McCarron hasn't graduated from my list should be in AHL still developing. Shame about Reway would have been Top 10.

4 really-good goalie prospects and some nice future pairings on D. Mete-Juulsen, Sergachev-Lernout

Sergachev, Hudon and De la Rose should be NHLers next year, Scherback needs a new coach in Laval!

1-Sergachev
2-McCarron
3-Scherback
4-Hudon
5-De La Rose
6-Lindgren
7-Juulsen
8-Fucale
9-Mete
10-Lernout
11-McNiven
12-Bitten
13-Hawkey
14-Evans
15-Bradley
16-Bourque
17-Addison
18-Audette
19-Vejdemo
20-Henrikson

This list makes much more sense.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If I can ask, why do you put Hawkey ahead of Fucale?

very impressed with Hawkey, very concerned with Fucale.

Nice to see Mete ranked 5th on your list, Im not sure I have Hudon ranked that high personally, I would probably rank him 6-7th considering he is at the end of his AHL stage and isnt really dominating out there, his lack of speed\strength is still an issue while a guy like Terry outproduced him big time.. I would rank DLR higher too based on his chances to play in the NHL, even if its in a bottom lines role.. I have Fucale higher as well.

Hudon has been one of the best goal scorers in the AHL and along with Terry has been their best forward all season long. His lack of speed is a big concern. DLR I have as an NHLer but as a 4th liner/spare forward.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
1. Mete
2. Sergachev
3. Lernout

The rest will bust. Mark my words.

oh i will

Top 20

1. Mikhail Sergachev
2. Charlie Lindgren
3. Charles Hudon
4. Noah Juulsen
5. Victor Mete
6. Michael McNiven
7. Nikita Scherbak
8. Will Bitten
9. Jake Evans
10. Hayden Hawkey
11. Jacob de la Rose
12. Brett Lernout
13. Simon Bourque
14. Jeremiah Addison
15. Matt Bradley
16. Casey Staum
17. Zach Fucale
18. Lukas Vejdemo
19. Daniel Audette
20. Markus Eisenschmid

solid list. With Hudon's question marks I don't know if I'd have him that high but it makes sense. Bit surprised by Evans and Hawkey over DLR but more so Hawkey. you're really high on him eh? The goalie depth looks solid. I'd maybe put Audette higher but I haven't seen enough of him.

Really hope Bitten can produce more next year. Mitch Brown still seems pretty high on him. I think he suffered from weak linemates. He has the skill and the work ethic. Saw the game 4 blow out but left after the 2nd. Bitten wasn't world beating (the whole team looked terrible) but he made one gorgeous pass that lead to the best scoring chance they had in the 1st.

He hits a helluva lot or did in that series. Finished a dozen checks it seemed like. I was super excited about him when we drafted him but my excitement's definitely waned a bit. There's still a lot to like.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
solid list. With Hudon's question marks I don't know if I'd have him that high but it makes sense. Bit surprised by Evans and Hawkey over DLR but more so Hawkey. you're really high on him eh? The goalie depth looks solid. I'd maybe put Audette higher but I haven't seen enough of him.

Really hope Bitten can produce more next year. Mitch Brown still seems pretty high on him. I think he suffered from weak linemates. He has the skill and the work ethic. Saw the game 4 blow out but left after the 2nd. Bitten wasn't world beating (the whole team looked terrible) but he made one gorgeous pass that lead to the best scoring chance they had in the 1st.

He hits a helluva lot or did in that series. Finished a dozen checks it seemed like. I was super excited about him when we drafted him but my excitement's definitely waned a bit. There's still a lot to like.

I don't know what Hudon will do in the NHL but in the AHL he's been a beast, so I have to have him high until he shows me he can't get it done in the NHL. I have my doubts that he can be an impact forward in the NHL due to his lack of speed but the skill is there for sure.

Evans had a great year and I've seen a lot of him at Notre Dame, he's made good progress, just needs to get stronger and add mass.

Hawkey is my biggest surprise this season in that I never saw him play until this year and had only known what I heard about him in the USHL where he was goalie of the year. I was so impressed with him, that I could see him being a top 5 prospect for us in the future. That said, goalies always give me the hardest time to evaluate as it's the only position I never played.

Audette likely should be higher but I just didn't care for what I saw, he's got skill and did well enough as a rookie. I really hated that he was paired up with Scherbak for so much of the season, seems stupid to put your two youngest players on the same line especially when both aren't the hardest workers.

I wish I had seen more of Bitten, liked what I saw from him, next year will be interesting to see how he progresses.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A bit late but wanted to post my start of the season list. Hudon, DLR, Mete graduated. Have seen them all play this year except Henrikson and Staum. I opted to leave Addison out since he may be out for the season but he would be in the top 20 for sure.

Top 20

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Jake Evans
3. Noah Juulsen
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Nikita Scherbak
6. Joni Ikonen
7. Josh Brook
8. Michael McNiven
9. Michael McCarron
10. Will Bitten
11. Cal Fleury
12. Jarret Tyszka
13. Caden Primeau

14. Brett Lernout
15. Scott Walford
16. Hayden Hawkey
17. Lukas Vejdemo
18. Daniel Audette
19. Jérémy Grégoire
20. Zach Fucale

HM - Michael Pezzetta, Tom Parisi, Markus Eisenschmid

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
A bit late but wanted to post my start of the season list. Hudon, DLR, Mete graduated. Have seen them all play this year except Henrikson and Staum. I opted to leave Addison out since he may be out for the season but he would be in the top 20 for sure.

Top 20

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Jake Evans
3. Noah Juulsen
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Nikita Scherbak
6. Joni Ikonen
7. Josh Brook
8. Michael McNiven
9. Michael McCarron
10. Will Bitten
11. Cal Fleury
12. Jarret Tyszka
13. Caden Primeau

14. Brett Lernout
15. Scott Walford
16. Hayden Hawkey
17. Lukas Vejdemo
18. Daniel Audette
19. Jérémy Grégoire
20. Zach Fucale

Has Carr graduated or you don't see him in the top 20?

People always complain the cupboard is so bare: we just graduated 4 Timmins draft picks this year: Hudon, DLR, Mete, and Sergachev (who became Drouin).

Next year McCarron (albeit as a 4th liner), Scherbak, Lindgren, and possibly Juulsen will graduate. Lernout is a long shot. And Evans may be an NHLer.

And two years from now we'll have a better idea about McNiven, Poheling, Ikonen, and the other picks from 2017 draft especially all the defensemen. Hopefully one of them pans out. Plus we'll have the 2018 and 2019 drafts.

Things are looking good in terms of talent coming from the draft and undrafted signings, especially given aside from the Sergachev pick, we've been drafting 25th, 26th, and 25th 3 of the last 4 years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think I've been following your lists for about 15 years montreal. Easily the best available and always on point.

Thanks.

Thanks, that's about how long I've been doing them since the early days of HF when I covered the Habs just kept doing it since I figured why not as I watch all of our prospects each year even if I don't have the time to watch them as much as I used to it's just for fun anyway. I kept using this thread as I thought it would be a good laugh to go back and see previous rankings to show why not to take them too seriously.

Reactions: WinterLion

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Top 20

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Jake Evans
3. Noah Juulsen
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Nikita Scherbak
6. Joni Ikonen
7. Josh Brook
8. Michael McNiven
9. Michael McCarron
10. Will Bitten
11. Cal Fleury
12. Jarret Tyszka
13. Caden Primeau

14. Brett Lernout
15. Scott Walford
16. Hayden Hawkey
17. Lukas Vejdemo
18. Daniel Audette
19. Jérémy Grégoire
20. Zach Fucale

My hope is that Poehling keeps up that great development through next year to the point he is a dominant figure in the NCAA. At that point hopefully he and us font see the point of another year in college so he signs with us.

If we have to burn an ELC year so be it.

Then a year in the minors and hopefully he can stick the following year. So in 2020 he starts with the Habs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
My hope is that Poehling keeps up that great development through next year to the point he is a dominant figure in the NCAA. At that point hopefully he and us font see the point of another year in college so he signs with us.

If we have to burn an ELC year so be it.

Then a year in the minors and hopefully he can stick the following year. So in 2020 he starts with the Habs.

He's close to being a dominate figure in the NCAA already, just has been so impressive. What I like is that in 5 less games he's got the same point totals as Casey Mittelstadt who was picked 8th overall which puts them both in a tie for 48th overall in points in the NCAA. His linemate who the Habs invited to the development camp has 1 more pt but he's tied for 37th overall in the NCAA in scoring.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Top 20

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Jake Evans
3. Noah Juulsen
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Nikita Scherbak
6. Joni Ikonen
7. Josh Brook
8. Michael McNiven
9. Michael McCarron
10. Will Bitten
11. Cal Fleury
12. Jarret Tyszka
13. Caden Primeau

14. Brett Lernout
15. Scott Walford
16. Hayden Hawkey
17. Lukas Vejdemo
18. Daniel Audette
19. Jérémy Grégoire
20. Zach Fucale

Always enjoy your input as you're one of a select few around here who watches almost everyone of our prospects.

Just noticed Primeau earned Rookie of the Week with a .956 save % and 1.13 GAA and has very solid numbers so far this year for an 18 year old, has he been that good or are his numbers more reflective on the strength of the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad