Prospect Info: My Top 20 Hab Prospects List (Updated #503)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Like this. I'm tempted to put Brook over Suzuki but I'd probably ultiately put Suze at #1.

No McNiven in the top 20 though eh? That's too bad. Hope he can show more progression this year as the season goes on

Brook is having a great start to the year but it's unlikely he keeps up this pace of over 90 pts. But even if he did, Suzuki has killed it for 3 years, just so much skill there no way could I rank Brook higher and I'm likely his biggest fan around here. Now Brook if he continues to progress could end up the better NHLer since he has the skating, speed, mobility that will bode well for him in the NHL vs Suzuki who is so smart, skilled and creative but lacks size, strength, speed, skating. I'm not too concerned about Suzuki yet, we'll see how things go for him next year to get a better idea of things to see how his game translates at the pro level.

McNiven has looked much better, I did have him higher, basically from Houde down I had a lot of problems figuring out where to put who where. McNiven needs more playing time so until he gets it which looks like it could be next season then we'll see as he's just played so sparingly at the pro level it's hard to say what he is yet. But I like how aggressive he is and I think he could at worst be a solid AHL starter if not a future NHL backup but I just need to see more and not a game here and there but steady amount in a row.

Good work! How would you compare Primeau to Knight? Who is likely a first round pick.

that's a good question, I only saw Knight once so I can't say but we are going to find out in a month or so what Team USA thinks of them since it sounds like they are the two frontrunners for the WJC's.

To me, Suzuki is a winger, and he's not the kind of winger that I'd be too thrilled to keep on my team, from what I've seen. He'll thrive on the PP, and he'll thrive once the play is in our zone, but otherwise he's going to be pretty damn average, not sure I like that. Obviously it has value, but Poehling has some of that offensive ceiling, on top of being a C, big, a damn good puck retriever and great defensively, too. Suzuki has that shooting that COULD potentially be a factor, if he turns out a 30G scorer, he's going to be really valuable, with his above average positioning and his elite IQ.

Brooooooook just has that 1D ceiling that I cannot ignore anymore. Guy has all the tools to be a first pair D, except for a clapper. Can't take a W/C guy, even a 30-30 guy, over what I think Josh could be.

It's more abotu Brook and Poehling than it is Suzuki.

I assume Suzuki will be a winger, but I do think he can be a 30+ to possible 40 goal scorer by his prime. He's just so creative out there. Now I do worry about the lack of physical tools like his speed, skating, strength so if that impacts him at the pro level then it's going to be a serious problem. We just can't know until we see it but I couldn't rank anyone else over a guy that is likely going to put up around 300 pts in the last 3 years.

I guess I'm not still as high on Poehling as others are. I really like him a lot and he's a surefire NHLer as he does the little things right, has NHL size, speed, skating. Such a good playmaker, drives the play, solid in his own end. I don't think he has a great defensive game, it's by no means an issue but I'd say he has a good to really good defensive game but there are some holes there. I still him as more of a 3rd liner on a top team, one that puts up 30-40 pts, plays solid two way game. But we'll see how his game translates at the next level likely by next season. I think at worst he ends up a more skilled Chipchura but if his offensive game takes another level higher then maybe he ends up a 50-60 pt player.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Brook is having a great start to the year but it's unlikely he keeps up this pace of over 90 pts. But even if he did, Suzuki has killed it for 3 years, just so much skill there no way could I rank Brook higher and I'm likely his biggest fan around here. Now Brook if he continues to progress could end up the better NHLer since he has the skating, speed, mobility that will bode well for him in the NHL vs Suzuki who is so smart, skilled and creative but lacks size, strength, speed, skating. I'm not too concerned about Suzuki yet, we'll see how things go for him next year to get a better idea of things to see how his game translates at the pro level.

McNiven has looked much better, I did have him higher, basically from Houde down I had a lot of problems figuring out where to put who where. McNiven needs more playing time so until he gets it which looks like it could be next season then we'll see as he's just played so sparingly at the pro level it's hard to say what he is yet. But I like how aggressive he is and I think he could at worst be a solid AHL starter if not a future NHL backup but I just need to see more and not a game here and there but steady amount in a row.

that's a good question, I only saw Knight once so I can't say but we are going to find out in a month or so what Team USA thinks of them since it sounds like they are the two frontrunners for the WJC's.

I assume Suzuki will be a winger, but I do think he can be a 30+ to possible 40 goal scorer by his prime. He's just so creative out there. Now I do worry about the lack of physical tools like his speed, skating, strength so if that impacts him at the pro level then it's going to be a serious problem. We just can't know until we see it but I couldn't rank anyone else over a guy that is likely going to put up around 300 pts in the last 3 years.

I guess I'm not still as high on Poehling as others are. I really like him a lot and he's a surefire NHLer as he does the little things right, has NHL size, speed, skating. Such a good playmaker, drives the play, solid in his own end. I don't think he has a great defensive game, it's by no means an issue but I'd say he has a good to really good defensive game but there are some holes there. I still him as more of a 3rd liner on a top team, one that puts up 30-40 pts, plays solid two way game. But we'll see how his game translates at the next level likely by next season. I think at worst he ends up a more skilled Chipchura but if his offensive game takes another level higher then maybe he ends up a 50-60 pt player.
Feel like the concerns over Suzuki's strength and speed are way overblown. He's still pretty quick and hard to knock off the puck. He has an odd posture I suppose like he doesn't bend his knees enough and instead bends his back but I'm not sure it's an issue.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Feel like the concerns over Suzuki's strength and speed are way overblown. He's still pretty quick and hard to knock off the puck. He has an odd posture I suppose like he doesn't bend his knees enough and instead bends his back but I'm not sure it's an issue.

The problem is he's doing this vs 16-20 year olds mostly so the question is how will his skating, speed and strength hold up in the NHL and it's hard to say until we see it as he played so little in the preseason and even then I would want to see him in actual NHL games as vets aren't going all out in preseason games. So we'll see next year if it impacts him or not at the NHL or AHL level depending on where he ends up.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If you want to talk about pure skills,elite iq, no way you put Poehling over Suzuki. Suzuki has killed the O over the years and hes on a pace for a 3rd 100+ pts. No way Poehling has more of that offensive ceilling then Suzuki.
Poehling has size and speed though. Canadiens will love both. Could be another Joe Juneau?

Reactions: dralaf

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Was waiting to post this to see what they do with Scherbak, Mete, Juulsen but I'll just consider them all graduated. Same for Kotka. I opted not to rank injured players Ikonen and Tyszka, and I don't count older players like Lindgren and Kulak since they are about to turn 25. And I don't count any players on AHL contracts.

Top 20

1. Nick Suzuki
2. Josh Brook
3. Ryan Poehling
4. Cale Fleury
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jesse Ylonen
7. Jacob Olofsson
8. Jake Evans
9. Alexander Romanov
10. Jordan Harris
11. Cam Hillis
12. Cole Fonstad
13. Brett Stapley
14. Lukas Vejdemo
15. Allen McShane
16. Samuel Houde
17. David Sklenicka
18. Jack Gorniak
19. Scott Walford
20. Michael McCarron

HM Joel Teasdale, Michael McNiven, Hayden Verbeek
Very good list... Harris impresses me alot, very fast and fluid skater with very good puck skills and hockey IQ, seems to improve every games... Personally, I would rank him and Romanov over Evans but thats just me, great list overall... Also that Stapley kid is intriguing, maybe he ends up better than any fowards drafted after Ylonen who knows...

Reactions: montreal

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I have been working on my rankings, have seen every Hab prospect play a full game so far this year except Hawkey, Sullivan and Evans who I will get to see Saturday night. I didn't include anyone on AHL deals, or guys that have graduated (Tinordi/Pateryn/Condon). I didn't include Hawkey since he's hasn't played in about a year.

Top 25

1. Nikita Scherbak
2. Mike McCarron
3. Noah Juulsen
4. Charles Hudon
5. Jacob de la Rose
6. Martin Reway
7. Artturi Lehkonen
8. Magnus Nygren
9. Sven Andrighetto
10. Brett Lernout
11. Zach Fucale
12. Lukas Vejdemo
13. Jérémy Grégoire
14. Christian Thomas
15. Daniel Carr
16. Michael McNiven
17. Darren Dietz
18. Mark MacMillan
19. Tim Bozon
20. Mac Bennett
21. Morgan Ellis
22. Ryan Johnston
23. Connor Crisp
24. Matt Bradley
25. Jeremiah Addison

God we had a tough stretch drafting when you look back.....

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I can only think of Habs Juneau at the end of his career, but Poehling certainly has the size and speed that you want to see. He's gotten quicker this year for sure, he creates a lot out there.

I guess I look at it in maybe too simple a way. Danault is not a particularly skilled guy, but he skates and works hard. Also, a pretty smart guy. With top 6 wingers he is a 40 point guy or so.

With Poehling you add in a higher skill set and playmaking ability that Danault does not have. If that gets him another 15 points so that he is at that 50- 55 point range, you have 2C numbers. Has to play well defensively though.

Reactions: Mrb1p

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Very good list... Harris impresses me alot, very fast and fluid skater with very good puck skills and hockey IQ, seems to improve every games... Personally, I would rank him and Romanov over Evans but thats just me, great list overall... Also that Stapley kid is intriguing, maybe he ends up better than any fowards drafted after Ylonen who knows...

I had Harris over Romanov but flipped them since he's smaller and hasn't produced since the opening weekened, had a real tough time with the two of them as I was back and forth as I have a real hard time getting a good read on Romanov and I am impressed with Harris but he's got to start producing, was away for a week so haven't caught up yet to what happened from Saturday night on.

Evans I like a good bit because he's so smart but also skilled, he's looked good in Laval so I opted to put him higher. Stapley is getting really quality ice on the 2nd line and PP but he's looked good, we'll see how it ends up for him.

I guess I look at it in maybe too simple a way. Danault is not a particularly skilled guy, but he skates and works hard. Also, a pretty smart guy. With top 6 wingers he is a 40 point guy or so.

With Poehling you add in a higher skill set and playmaking ability that Danault does not have. If that gets him another 15 points so that he is at that 50- 55 point range, you have 2C numbers. Has to play well defensively though.

We'll see, last year 50-55 pts would have been either our leading scorer or right there so it will depend on how Poehling is used and who his linemates are. I like him a lot as a sure bet to play in the NHL. Not sure he's a 50-55 pt guy or not, we'll see how next year goes for him at the pro level.

Reactions: Acadien86

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I had Harris over Romanov but flipped them since he's smaller and hasn't produced since the opening weekened, had a real tough time with the two of them as I was back and forth as I have a real hard time getting a good read on Romanov and I am impressed with Harris but he's got to start producing, was away for a week so haven't caught up yet to what happened from Saturday night on.
Yeah Harris hasnt been much productive on the scoresheet but not getting any ice time on the PP surely doesnt help, I would say his shot is rather weak though at this point...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ok, I only watched 3 games but didnt get any PP ice time in those games...

they had him on the 2nd PP unit and he had a turnover and didn't see too much time after that. But he clearly likes to get involved in the offensive zone so not sure why they don't give him more of a look there.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
they had him on the 2nd PP unit and he had a turnover and didn't see too much time after that. But he clearly likes to get involved in the offensive zone so not sure why they don't give him more of a look there.
My guess is that will probably happen sooner than later, he has the skills to play there but they probably want him to polish his game at even strength before letting the kid focuss on the PP as well, I know Babcock did the same with Reilly, they felt he still had to round up his game 5 on 5 so they removed him from the PP until he fines his game at EV... Not that Harris's game is bad, but he is still very young playing in a new league agaisnt older guys, so gaining experience at that point is all what matters IMO...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
My guess is that will probably happen sooner than later, he has the skills to play there but they probably want him to polish his game at even strength before letting the kid focuss on the PP as well, I know Babcock did the same with Reilly, they felt he still had to round up his game 5 on 5 so they removed him from the PP until he fines his game at EV... Not that Harris's game is bad, but he is still very young playing in a new league agaisnt older guys, so gaining experience at that point is all what matters IMO...

I'm sure he will be on the PP at some point, guess he needs to earn the coaches trust. I thought it may be due to his defensive game but Friday night they had him on the PK which is rare so perhaps he's getting there.

It's crazy to see him on the top pairing, he just turned 18 in July as most kids in his position would just go to the USHL for a year and then go to the NCAA at 19, so to be a true Freshman and on the top pairing at a really good program is great to see.

Reactions: Goldenhands

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
God we had a tough stretch drafting when you look back.....

That's for sure. That's why I'm cautiously happy with our pool... I keep reminding myself that I (we?) once said our pool was good but none really panned out. It looks good on paper now but we could look back in 5 years & still have our hands empty.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I'm sure he will be on the PP at some point, guess he needs to earn the coaches trust. I thought it may be due to his defensive game but Friday night they had him on the PK which is rare so perhaps he's getting there.

It's crazy to see him on the top pairing, he just turned 18 in July as most kids in his position would just go to the USHL for a year and then go to the NCAA at 19, so to be a true Freshman and on the top pairing at a really good program is great to see.
Will be interesting to see how he progresses and if he will be in the mix next year for the WJC, would be nice to have another prospect on the big show...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Will be interesting to see how he progresses and if he will be in the mix next year for the WJC, would be nice to have another prospect on the big show...

I hope he gets on the radar for Team USA, getting invited to the summer camp would be great but we'll see what kind of season he ends up having.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kotka, Mete graduated, I don't count older guys like Lindgren or guys on AHL contracts

Top 20

1. Nick Suzuki
2. Josh Brook
3. Caden Primeau
4. Ryan Poehling
5. Alexander Romanov
6. Jesse Ylonen
7. Noah Juulsen
8. Cale Fleury
9. Jordan Harris
10. Joni Ikonen
11. Cam Hillis
12. Jake Evans
13. Cole Fonstad
14. Jacob Olofsson
15. Allen McShane
16. Joel Teasdale
17. Brett Stapley
18. Lukas Vejdemo
19. Michael McNiven
20. Michael McCarron

HM Walford, Gorniak, Sklenicka

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Kotka, Mete graduated, I don't count older guys like Lindgren or guys on AHL contracts

Top 20

1. Nick Suzuki
2. Josh Brook
3. Caden Primeau
4. Ryan Poehling
5. Alexander Romanov
6. Jesse Ylonen
7. Noah Juulsen
8. Cale Fleury
9. Jordan Harris
10. Joni Ikonen
11. Cam Hillis
12. Jake Evans
13. Cole Fonstad
14. Jacob Olofsson
15. Allen McShane
16. Joel Teasdale
17. Brett Stapley
18. Lukas Vejdemo
19. Michael McNiven
20. Michael McCarron

HM Walford, Gorniak, Sklenicka

Damn fine list. I really think Teasdale should be higher though. Sure there's stat watching there but I have a good feeling about him. I'd put him after Ikonen. You did have Brook at the top before right? I did. Hard to ignore Suzuki's heroics of late. Man.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Imo
1. Nick Suzuki
2. Ryan Poehling
3. Alexander Romanov
4. Josh Brook
5. Caden Primeau
6. Noah Juulsen
7. Jesse Ylonen
8. Cale Fleury
9. Joni Ikonen
10. Joel Teasdale
11. Jacob Olofsson
12. Allen McShane
13. Cole Fonstad
14. Cam Hillis
15. Jake Evans
16. Jordan Harris
17. Scott Walford
18. Brett Stapley
19. Michael McCarron
20. Michael McNiven

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Teasdale is way too low. Should be around 8, and Suzuki is not first. Romanov is also too low. Best D at 18 at the WJC and played for the KHL champs.

Top 20

1. Nick Suzuki
2. Josh Brook
3. Caden Primeau
4. Ryan Poehling
5. Alexander Romanov
6. Jesse Ylonen
7. Noah Juulsen
8. Cale Fleury
9. Jordan Harris
10. Joni Ikonen
11. Cam Hillis