Prospect Info: My Top 20 Hab Prospects List (Updated #503)

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Year end top 20. I opted to graduate Scherbak since no way is he back in the AHL but decided to rank McCarron, Juulsen, Mete since I don't know where they will be next year.

Top 20

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Josh Brook
3. Victor Mete
4. Noah Juulsen
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jake Evans
7. Cale Fleury
8. Charlie Lindgren
9. Joni Ikonen
10. Jarret Tyszka
11. Will Bitten
12. Michael McNiven
13. Hayden Hawkey
14. Rinat Valiev
15. Kerby Rychel
16. Michael McCarron
17. Lukas Vejdemo
18. Brett Lernout
19. Scott Walford
20. Daniel Audette

HM Jeremiah Addison, Simon Bourque, Jérémy Grégoire

Was hoping to see Verbeek and Alain make our top 20
Surprised to see Brook ahead of World Junior Alternate Captain Mete

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Was hoping to see Verbeek and Alain make our top 20
Surprised to see Brook ahead of World Junior Alternate Captain Mete

I haven't seen enough of them yet to rank them but undrafted FA's don't usually make the top 20 until they show what they can do in the AHL. Last year we signed Waked and he was just terrible in the AHL this year, very much over-matched after a good overage year in the Q.

Brook and Mete are neck and neck, as I compare them to their age seasons so that means I compare Brook this year to Mete last year. Plus I have a lot of concerns about Mete's offensive game which limits his upside. Brook doesn't have many holes in his game, needs to just get stronger, continue to fill out his frame, improve and use his shot more.

With Brook, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Tyszka I like the group of D prospects that are 21 and under. The lack of high end talent is a big problem but there's a lot to like for 2nd/3rd/depth types.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Was waiting to post this to see what they do with Scherbak, Mete, Juulsen but I'll just consider them all graduated. Same for Kotka. I opted not to rank injured players Ikonen and Tyszka, and I don't count older players like Lindgren and Kulak since they are about to turn 25. And I don't count any players on AHL contracts.

Top 20

1. Nick Suzuki
2. Josh Brook
3. Ryan Poehling
4. Cale Fleury
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jesse Ylonen
7. Jacob Olofsson
8. Jake Evans
9. Alexander Romanov
10. Jordan Harris
11. Cam Hillis
12. Cole Fonstad
13. Brett Stapley
14. Lukas Vejdemo
15. Allen McShane
16. Samuel Houde
17. David Sklenicka
18. Jack Gorniak
19. Scott Walford
20. Michael McCarron

HM Joel Teasdale, Michael McNiven, Hayden Verbeek

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Was waiting to post this to see what they do with Scherbak, Mete, Juulsen but I'll just consider them all graduated. Same for Kotka. I opted not to rank injured players Ikonen and Tyszka, and I don't count older players like Lindgren and Kulak since they are about to turn 25. And I don't count any players on AHL contracts.

Top 20

1. Nick Suzuki
2. Josh Brook
3. Ryan Poehling
4. Cale Fleury
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jesse Ylonen
7. Jacob Olofsson
8. Jake Evans
9. Alexander Romanov
10. Jordan Harris
11. Cam Hillis
12. Cole Fonstad
13. Brett Stapley
14. Lukas Vejdemo
15. Allen McShane
16. Samuel Houde
17. David Sklenicka
18. Jack Gorniak
19. Scott Walford
20. Michael McCarron

Really nice.

Id swap Poehling and Suzuki and Evans and Fonstad, Gorniak and Stapley but thats about it.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Really nice.

Id swap Poehling and Suzuki and Evans and Fonstad, Gorniak and Stapley but thats about it.

I went with the higher upside in Suzuki vs the safer Poehling. Gorniak I really like how he plays, such a high motor as he keeps his feet moving all game and finishes his checks but as an overager to have 2 pts so far on one of the higher scoring teams is troubling. Stapley is also an overager and clearly there's more risk as Gorniak would fit as a future 4th liner if he doesn't develop his offensive game whereas Stapley is still a long shot to be a top 9 NHLer since he's not a guy that you would have on the PK, he's not a physical grinder type. Really like his vision and playmaking though and he's got the speed/skating that others in our system lack.

Reactions: Acadien86 and Mrb1p

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Ikonen should be around 8. Much higher upside than Evans but more risk. I also think romanov is better than Evans.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Top 20

1. Nick Suzuki
2. Josh Brook
3. Ryan Poehling
4. Cale Fleury
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jesse Ylonen
7. Jacob Olofsson
8. Jake Evans
9. Alexander Romanov
10. Jordan Harris
11. Cam Hillis
12. Cole Fonstad
13. Brett Stapley
14. Lukas Vejdemo
15. Allen McShane
16. Samuel Houde
17. David Sklenicka
18. Jack Gorniak
19. Scott Walford
20. Michael McCarron

I agree with your top 3, your top 7, and your top 10, though I'd have them in some different order. I think those are the tiers for our prospects. Pretty impressive for Stapley to be 13th IMO.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Top 20

1. Nick Suzuki
2. Josh Brook
3. Ryan Poehling
4. Cale Fleury
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jesse Ylonen
7. Jacob Olofsson
8. Jake Evans
9. Alexander Romanov
10. Jordan Harris
11. Cam Hillis
12. Cole Fonstad
13. Brett Stapley
14. Lukas Vejdemo
15. Allen McShane
16. Samuel Houde
17. David Sklenicka
18. Jack Gorniak
19. Scott Walford
20. Michael McCarron

I'd have Teasdale ahead of Samuel Houde.

But I'm legitimately sad over Hayden Hawkey. Why did we move him for a low draft pick?? Seems nuts.

And on a more whimsical note, why did we give up on Darren Dietz? LOL.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Top 20

1. Nick Suzuki
2. Josh Brook
3. Ryan Poehling
4. Cale Fleury
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jesse Ylonen
7. Jacob Olofsson
8. Jake Evans
9. Alexander Romanov
10. Jordan Harris
11. Cam Hillis
12. Cole Fonstad
13. Brett Stapley
14. Lukas Vejdemo
15. Allen McShane
16. Samuel Houde
17. David Sklenicka
18. Jack Gorniak
19. Scott Walford
20. Michael McCarron

Like this. I'm tempted to put Brook over Suzuki but I'd probably ultiately put Suze at #1.

No McNiven in the top 20 though eh? That's too bad. Hope he can show more progression this year as the season goes on.

Really nice.

Wow Poehling #1. Are you really high on him or not so high on Suzuki and Brook? I'm guessing the former because I can't see you being lukewarm on BOTH Suzuki and Brook. I would love if you were right while Suzuki and Brook still reached my expectations of them which are fairly high.

I respect your opinion. Your bullishness on Kotka is looking pretty smart and I agree with most of your opinions.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ikonen should be around 8. Much higher upside than Evans but more risk. I also think romanov is better than Evans.

I like Ikonen, not sure where I'd put him but top 15 for sure same with Tyszka who I like a lot. But I don't like to rank players I haven't see. I've seen every Hab prospect play at least 2 games this year plus however many times I saw them last year and on for the non '17/'18 picks.

Romanov is a tough one, I had him and Harris neck and neck as I actually like Harris more so far but I do like both. I have really struggled with Romanov despite seeing a good bit of him as I just don't know what he is. He seems to want to be an offensive D but while he can move the puck, I haven't seen a great shot from him that others have. He's physical for sure but not the Emelin level that some think. What's surprised me is how few mistakes he makes in the KHL and mostly playing his off-side although so do Harris most of the time.

I agree with your top 3, your top 7, and your top 10, though I'd have them in some different order. I think those are the tiers for our prospects. Pretty impressive for Stapley to be 13th IMO.

So I see it like,

Kotka
Suzuki
Brook

Poehling
Fleury

Primeau
Ylonen
Olofsson

Evans
Romanov
Harris
Hillis
Fonstad

Stapley
Vejdemo
McShane

Houde
Sklenicka
Gorniak
Walford
McCarron
Teasdale
McNiven
Verbeek
Lernout

Alain
Moravcik
Pezzetta
Shinkaruk
Audette
Waked
Koberstein

I'd have Teasdale ahead of Samuel Houde.

But I'm legitimately sad over Hayden Hawkey. Why did we move him for a low draft pick?? Seems nuts.

And on a more whimsical note, why did we give up on Darren Dietz? LOL.

I actually had Teasdale over Houde, as I assume Houde will be around what Teasdale was last year at the same age. I think Houde has the higher upside but Teasdale is a safer bet because he's faster, works harder, looks like Teasdale in time if things go right for him could be a 4th liner whereas Houde I'm hoping he shows more skill and while I don't have much hope for him, that if he does figure it out that maybe he could be a 3rd liner.

I was not happy at all that they traded Hawkey for a 5th, said that I thought he was going to have a big year, he struggled a bit with consistency last year and then in the 2nd half was lights out. So far he's been one of the best goalies in the NCAA but if they sign a goalie like Harvery or one of the NCAA undrafted guys as there are several I like.

Dietz I had worried about his skating and speed but thought he would be a bottom pairing D for us. If he keeps it up I wouldn't be surprised if NHL teams look at bringing him over next year perhaps. Another former Habs draft pick I'm keeping an eye on is Collberg who has looked pretty good although on a pretty bad team with Olofsson.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Top 20

1. Nick Suzuki
2. Josh Brook
3. Ryan Poehling
4. Cale Fleury
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jesse Ylonen
7. Jacob Olofsson
8. Jake Evans
9. Alexander Romanov
10. Jordan Harris
11. Cam Hillis
12. Cole Fonstad
13. Brett Stapley
14. Lukas Vejdemo
15. Allen McShane
16. Samuel Houde
17. David Sklenicka
18. Jack Gorniak
19. Scott Walford
20. Michael McCarron

good list, I agree with it. I don't have Suzuki quite as high, I'm a big Brook fan at this point.

Reactions: montreal

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I like Ikonen, not sure where I'd put him but top 15 for sure same with Tyszka who I like a lot. But I don't like to rank players I haven't see. I've seen every Hab prospect play at least 2 games this year plus however many times I saw them last year and on for the non '17/'18 picks.

Romanov is a tough one, I had him and Harris neck and neck as I actually like Harris more so far but I do like both. I have really struggled with Romanov despite seeing a good bit of him as I just don't know what he is. He seems to want to be an offensive D but while he can move the puck, I haven't seen a great shot from him that others have. He's physical for sure but not the Emelin level that some think. What's surprised me is how few mistakes he makes in the KHL and mostly playing his off-side although so do Harris most of the time.

So I see it like,

Kotka
Suzuki
Brook

Poehling
Fleury

Primeau
Ylonen
Olofsson

Evans
Romanov
Harris
Hillis
Fonstad

Stapley
Vejdemo
McShane

Houde
Sklenicka
Gorniak
Walford
McCarron
Teasdale
McNiven
Verbeek
Lernout

Alain
Moravcik
Pezzetta
Shinkaruk
Audette
Waked
Koberstein

I actually had Teasdale over Houde, as I assume Houde will be around what Teasdale was last year at the same age. I think Houde has the higher upside but Teasdale is a safer bet because he's faster, works harder, looks like Teasdale in time if things go right for him could be a 4th liner whereas Houde I'm hoping he shows more skill and while I don't have much hope for him, that if he does figure it out that maybe he could be a 3rd liner.

I was not happy at all that they traded Hawkey for a 5th, said that I thought he was going to have a big year, he struggled a bit with consistency last year and then in the 2nd half was lights out. So far he's been one of the best goalies in the NCAA but if they sign a goalie like Harvery or one of the NCAA undrafted guys as there are several I like.

Dietz I had worried about his skating and speed but thought he would be a bottom pairing D for us. If he keeps it up I wouldn't be surprised if NHL teams look at bringing him over next year perhaps. Another former Habs draft pick I'm keeping an eye on is Collberg who has looked pretty good although on a pretty bad team with Olofsson.
I’d definitely have Poehling in the first tier and then have Fleury in the 2nd tier with those next 3 guys.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Top 20

1. Nick Suzuki
2. Josh Brook
3. Ryan Poehling
4. Cale Fleury
5. Caden Primeau
6. Jesse Ylonen
7. Jacob Olofsson
8. Jake Evans
9. Alexander Romanov
10. Jordan Harris
11. Cam Hillis
12. Cole Fonstad
13. Brett Stapley
14. Lukas Vejdemo
15. Allen McShane
16. Samuel Houde
17. David Sklenicka
18. Jack Gorniak
19. Scott Walford
20. Michael McCarron

Good work! How would you compare Primeau to Knight? Who is likely a first round pick.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Like this. I'm tempted to put Brook over Suzuki but I'd probably ultiately put Suze at #1.

No McNiven in the top 20 though eh? That's too bad. Hope he can show more progression this year as the season goes on.

Wow Poehling #1. Are you really high on him or not so high on Suzuki and Brook? I'm guessing the former because I can't see you being lukewarm on BOTH Suzuki and Brook. I would love if you were right while Suzuki and Brook still reached my expectations of them which are fairly high.

I respect your opinion. Your bullishness on Kotka is looking pretty smart and I agree with most of your opinions.

To me, Suzuki is a winger, and he's not the kind of winger that I'd be too thrilled to keep on my team, from what I've seen. He'll thrive on the PP, and he'll thrive once the play is in our zone, but otherwise he's going to be pretty damn average, not sure I like that. Obviously it has value, but Poehling has some of that offensive ceiling, on top of being a C, big, a damn good puck retriever and great defensively, too. Suzuki has that shooting that COULD potentially be a factor, if he turns out a 30G scorer, he's going to be really valuable, with his above average positioning and his elite IQ.

Brooooooook just has that 1D ceiling that I cannot ignore anymore. Guy has all the tools to be a first pair D, except for a clapper. Can't take a W/C guy, even a 30-30 guy, over what I think Josh could be.

It's more abotu Brook and Poehling than it is Suzuki.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
To me, Suzuki is a winger, and he's not the kind of winger that I'd be too thrilled to keep on my team, from what I've seen. He'll thrive on the PP, and he'll thrive once the play is in our zone, but otherwise he's going to be pretty damn average, not sure I like that. Obviously it has value, but Poehling has some of that offensive ceiling, on top of being a C, big, a damn good puck retriever and great defensively, too. Suzuki has that shooting that COULD potentially be a factor, if he turns out a 30G scorer, he's going to be really valuable, with his above average positioning and his elite IQ.

Brooooooook just has that 1D ceiling that I cannot ignore anymore. Guy has all the tools to be a first pair D, except for a clapper. Can't take a W/C guy, even a 30-30 guy, over what I think Josh could be.

It's more abotu Brook and Poehling than it is Suzuki.
If you want to talk about pure skills,elite iq, no way you put Poehling over Suzuki. Suzuki has killed the O over the years and hes on a pace for a 3rd 100+ pts. No way Poehling has more of that offensive ceilling then Suzuki.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Brook just has that 1D ceiling that I cannot ignore anymore. Guy has all the tools to be a first pair D, except for a clapper. Can't take a W/C guy, even a 30-30 guy, over what I think Josh could be.

It's more about Brook and Poehling than it is Suzuki.

Thinking like this is what got Mike Bossy drafted 15th. Before anyone goes nuts, I am NOT saying Suzuki is as good as Bossy, Domi forbid, but the KIND of things being said were the same kinds of things being said to justify the insanity of team after team after team passing on Bossy. I vividly recall being in total shock on that draft day and thinking I should be an NHL Head Scout or GM before the clowns making decisions. Some of the 14 players drafted ahead of Bossy had good careers including Doug Wilson and Barry Beck, but if a re-draft were held today, Bossy would have been first overall in 1977. Elite scoring is elite scoring. For today's CHL, Suzuki is an elite scorer. Put Poehling in his place and he doesn't impact the games the way Suzuki does. I doubt Brook does either from the back end but at least I understand in his case the optimism and hope for a dominant 1D.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Thinking like this is what got Mike Bossy drafted 15th. Before anyone goes nuts, I am NOT saying Suzuki is as good as Bossy, Domi forbid, but the KIND of things being said were the same kinds of things being said to justify the insanity of team after team after team passing on Bossy. I vividly recall being in total shock on that draft day and thinking I should be an NHL Head Scout or GM before the clowns making decisions. Some of the 14 players drafted ahead of Bossy had good careers including Doug Wilson and Barry Beck, but if a re-draft were held today, Bossy would have been first overall in 1977. Elite scoring is elite scoring. For today's CHL, Suzuki is an elite scorer. Put Poehling in his place and he doesn't impact the games the way Suzuki does. I doubt Brook does either from the back end but at least I understand in his case the optimism and hope for a dominant 1D.
Drouin was one of the most dominant CHL player ever, and yet...

Not denying Suzuki is a great CHL player, Im just not sure his skillset will translate to 70-80 points a season.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Where did I say that
What you actually said was this:

"Suzuki is a winger, and he's not the kind of winger that I'd be too thrilled to keep on my team"

and like I said a few minutes ago, I heard stuff like that from scouts to explain why they did not take Mike Bossy with their first pick. Even if Bossy had scored 30 every year instead of 50, he might still have been arguably the top player in his draft year.

You can't teach the kind of accuracy with his shot that Suzuki has from all angles, nor his ability to get to open space.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I feel more confident in Suzuki translating than Brook, but Brook does have position on his side. Still, I think I have it:

1. Suzuki (first line RW)
2. Poehling (2C)
3. Brook (Top 4D)
4. Fleury (2nd Pair)
5. Yolo/Olo (middle 6 F)
6. Olo/Yolo (middle 6 F)
7. Romo (2nd/3rd Pair)
8. Primeau (starter?)
9. Bobo (jk) Evans (3/4C)
10. Harris (3rd pair)

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What you actually said was this:

"Suzuki is a winger, and he's not the kind of winger that I'd be too thrilled to keep on my team"

and like I said a few minutes ago, I heard stuff like that from scouts to explain why they did not take Mike Bossy with their first pick. Even if Bossy had scored 30 every year instead of 50, he might still have been arguably the top player in his draft year.

You can't teach the kind of accuracy with his shot that Suzuki has from all angles, nor his ability to get to open space.
I dont disagree and the original statement I made, may have been too harsh. Hes a player you want on your team, but there may be better somewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->