My Thoughts So Far - And Yours?

AnthonyDugas6

Sep 30, 2010
Massachusetts
www.LFHRadio.com
Hi everyone. I used to post a lot here on HF before the Lock Out and be a co-host with Bruins Radio Talk Show when it was Lunatic Fringe. I just wanted to get everyones thoughts so far on the first couple games and read through my input.

I can't call myself a long time hockey fan but have been since 2008. Since then I have learned so much of the game on and out of the ice. I've met some great fans and made some great friends. The reason why I say this is because this was my first lock out. For those who went through the last one about 7-8 years ago they knew what to feel but for me I literally felt empty and lost with out the sport of Hockey. Many told me it wouldn't come back but I am glad it did and had full faith. I'll stop boring everyone and get down to hockey!

I was at the scrimmage and the opener so far. I want to put my finger directly on Chris Bourque for now. Some say he has too much work to go and he isn't good but personally I think he fits in PERFECTLY with the third line. His speed and placement is right on time and wins face offs almost every time. Another is Dougie Hamiliton. During the scrimmage many people said, "This kid will be sent back down" but you can't let one game judge who a player is right away. After the opener many believed he was ready for the NHL then during the WPG game, Everyone is now riding onto the #27 train. Personally I believe this team can make a very good run with Tuukka in net as well. He has had a lot of people on their toes biting their finger nails not sure if he can do what Timmy did for the team but so far he has. That is my thoughts on just the new guys and the goalie. Anyones input? Thanks guys.

- Anthony

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
I love Chris Bourque. Don't know why he gets so much flak, he's doing a fantastic job. Dougie Hamillton is good. Tuukka is going to do amazing in the net. With Khubodin backing him, then with Subban, we'll do just fine. The Boys are Back!

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca
For those who went through the last one about 7-8 years ago they knew what to feel but for me I literally felt empty and lost with out the sport of Hockey. Many told me it wouldn't come back but I am glad it did and had full faith.

I hope I come around to respecting the game today like I had in the past , I certaintly want to . But this one stung a bit . Its coming in bits and pieces for me but I am adament that I won't spend a dollar on the Bruins and the league as far as merchandaise , stumbling into a an arena to watch a game ( fly across country to do so ) or fork over cash just yet to CIce..etc

Truth be told , I'm digging 98.5 and radio hockey .

The announcer is quite good and it enhightens my imagination of hockey .

.......since you asked .

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Seeing the team play against the Rangers, I was impressed with how tight of a defensive game they played, considering the long layoff. I think that is where we are seeing the benefit of guys playing over in Europe and also having the same group of core guys from the past two seasons return. I think the Bruins will be able to win a lot of games, especially early on, just leaning on their system, until some of the rust wears off and guys get their scoring touch back.

Tuukka has been solid and has made a handful of big saves, namely on the breakaway chance against the Jets, but overall I don't think he has been tested a ton. Once again, that is a testament to how well the Bruins are playing in their own zone and the neutral zone early in the season. They have kept most everything outside and have been there to defend second chance opportunities. They haven't given teams, with the exception of a few plays in the Jets game, a lot of momentum through the neutral zone. I am a big Tuukka supporter, and I like his start, but he will need to do it over the long haul and in some bigger games first.

Bourque is still a wait and see for me, but I am glad he is getting a chance. The Bruins obviously like him and think he is a pretty skilled player based on how they have been using him so far. I think he has shown some poise with the puck and has made some nice plays in the neutral zone when given the chance, but that line did not show up offensively against the Jets. He also hasn't been afraid to get in on the forecheck and throw his weight around, so I think he is a tough player for his size. However, I have noticed several instances where he has been muscled off of the puck down low or along the boards. I have been a big advocate for Spooner, but I think we need to let Bourque get his feet under him and 12-15 games to show what he can do. It had to be pretty overwhelming to play his first NHL game in that uniform, considering he grew up here and who is dad is. He will get better, but how much better remains to be seen.

I have been extremely impressed with Hamilton so far. I expected to see him make some glaring mistakes early on, but so far there really hasn't been anything to criticize in his play. As with Bourque, it tells you something about how the organization feels about him when he is getting 1st or 2nd pairing minutes against top lines, PP time and even some shorthanded time. I still expect some growing pains, but I only think he will improve and become more confident as the season progresses. And as his confidence grows, I expect his offensive instincts to kick in more and more, a la the nice play he made jumping up on the rush against the Jets. I had heard people say he that he isn't a physical player, and though he isn't overly nasty, he is physical enough in the spots that he needs to assert himself in. He is a young guy, but already knows how to use his size and skating ability to his advantage. He moves the puck quickly and decisively, and he gets shots through to the net. Lots to like.

Sorry if this post was a bit long winded.

Last edited:

chippa13*

Is there any reason "Mr 0.00" is on shootouts?

Does he really have more skills than kraychee.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
My thoughts so far. Hockey is back this makes me happy. Bruins are 2-0 to start a 48 game season makes me more happy.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
My opinion is so far so good. The team has looked good considering there was practically no training camp. Fortunately for them, there was very little turnover so most of the guys are familiar with the style of play they want to implement.

Goaltending - Rask hasn't been tested too much but he has been very good when called upon.

Team Defence - Solid in the early going, which allows Rask (and Khudo when he gets in there) to see the puck and not be challenged too much

Offence - 4 goals in 2 games isn't exactly lighting it up but when you consider some of the chances they had in both games the offence has looked good. Keep in mind, guys are still getting their timing back.

Special Teams - The PK has been outstanding so far. I know it has only been 2 games but that's the only sample size we have to look at here. As for the power play, that's a different story. You can see the movement is there. I like the fact that they are trying something new but, given that they only had a week to implement a new system and incorporate new players/shuffle responsibilites, they look a little sloppy. We need to give them a little more time before we can properly evaluate the PP.

Totable Players:

Dougie Hamilton - Has not looked out of place one bit. Good on Dougie for improving his game and good on the Bruins for properly sheltering him. I haven't seen any mistakes in his own end and he has looked good going forward.

Chris Bourque - I think he has looked just fine on the 3rd line becuase that's what he is suited for. 3rd line duty. Sure, he was put on the PP and Julien put him in the shootout but that's not Bourque's call. He can't be blamed for it. Remember when Julien put Pouliot in the shootout while he was in the middle of a slump? Pouliot scored and Julien was a genius becuase he gave a struggling player a shot and it worked. Now, Bourque isn't struggling but maybe Julien wanted to get the guy going. Show the guy he belongs in the show.

Aaron Johnson - I thought he jumped in quite nicely in Seids' absence the other night. He did what he was asked to do. Fill in and be a bottom pairing depth guy.

McQuaid - I think he has looked completely off the first 2 games. Especially against the Jets. Hopefully it's just a case of him needing to get back to his old self after the scare he had in the offseason.

Disclaimer:

Thoughts and opinions are subject to change during a stretch of bad play including, but not limited to, bad goals against, prolonged slumps, losing streaks of 1 game, terrible turnovers, and "questionable" personnel moves. :sarcasm:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Rask looks up to the challenge of being the guy. I worry that Clode will ride him too hard and he won't be fresh in April and May.

PP still looks like crapola. They just look like they're a step behind and they struggle to gain puck posession in the attacking zone. There is little movement and poor passing. I'm beginning to think that it's less a Geoff Ward thing and more a personnel issue.

I like seeing Hamilton sneak up into the play, and I hope that the first time it costs the Bruins a GA, he won't be sent to the dog house.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

I hope I come around to respecting the game today like I had in the past , I certaintly want to . But this one stung a bit . Its coming in bits and pieces for me but I am adament that I won't spend a dollar on the Bruins and the league as far as merchandaise , stumbling into a an arena to watch a game ( fly across country to do so ) or fork over cash just yet to CIce..etc

Truth be told , I'm digging 98.5 and radio hockey .

The announcer is quite good and it enhightens my imagination of hockey .

.......since you asked .

Always nice to see others enjoying 98.5 - The Sports Hub!

The Bruins look a little out-of-synch, but that will pass. The PK has looked good, and the defense has been solid. It's going to take some time for the top two lines to get on the same page, but I expect that will happen soon.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
How can you not be happy with the first two outings? Even if they don't win it all if they keep up the kind of hockey they are playing so far I will be a happy fan at the end of this short season!

thepootamis

Jan 1, 2011
Seguin-even though doesn't have a goal yet is showing he is becoming a elite player

Bourque-great fit on the 3rd line good physical player

Horton- has come back looking better than ever

Rask-who is Tim Thomas again

GodTukka*

They look solid, Horton impressed me with how well he's started.

Hopefully they can shut the Rangers down again tonight

(My fantasy team requests a couple points from Bergeron and Chara, though)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Why 3rd if your gunna scare a goalie and piss him off might as well do it first :)

Realistically though it's one of those unspoken things that you don't do....

I'd go Seguin first because it's a 50-50 chance that you'll score. As for Chara, I don't think it's about scaring the goalie, as much as it's the fact that they don't really have anyone better to use. He's scored once off of the slap shot and once off of the fake IIRC.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
-2-0 team looks great.

-Everyone is healthy (except Seidenberg, but he is day to day)

-NY and Winnipeg both had hot goalies, what could have the scores have been.

-Rask looks great as does Hamilton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad