Speculation: My thoughts on Tyler Bozak

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Since there was rumor few days ago about the Canucks are interested in Bozak if he hits the UFA market, here's my thought on him

Firs of all, Tyler Bozak has always been a complimentary player through out his career.
However, if you look back at his linemates through out his career, whether it's :
JVR/Kessel
JVR/Marner
JVR/ Conner Brown
One thing for sure is that, all of those three lines know how to score, and they all score a lot. In other words, I think it's fair to say that Bozak himself has good offensive talents to player with superior players.
Even right now, he's still playing on Toronto's 1st PP unit, which is one of the best in the league. (Fun fact: Mathews and Nylander are not on the 1st unit, that's how stupidly deep they are up front)

If we do ended up signing him, put Pettersson on his wing and I bet Pettersson will have a great rookie season.
The downside of Bozak is, well..he's not good at defense, one can say he's bad at it.

I am totally fine if he's here for a short term period, hold the center gap until we get another top 6 C either through development (Pettersson/Gaudette) or draft

The key is short term, the guy is 32
If you wanna overpaid him, sure go ahead. 5m? 6m? You have the cap for now, its not like JB knows how to utilize cap space in trade anyway.
But if the contract is longer than 3 years, then we gonna have a huge problem
I'm holding my breath now

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Bozak has been an underrated player. Would have been great if we managed to sign him coming out of college. I think he was also available many years ago to trade (when Luongo was still here).

Now he's 32. He still have some years left but he's not a good fit here.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
We aren't anywhere close to peak Jimbo without a $6M AAV over 5 years contract for Bozak.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Tyler Bozak in his prime was a player I didn’t want. At 32, and getting overpaid/term because he’s a UFA and that’s what it will take to sign him: please do not let this happen.
I’d rather get a pick to take someone’s salary dump.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Tyler Bozak in his prime was a player I didn’t want. At 32, and getting overpaid/term because he’s a UFA and that’s what it will take to sign him: please do not let this happen.
Thats the smart way. This management, almost always, doesnt do smart.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
33 years old declining bad at defense and cant drive offense. NO THANKS BILLY

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Bozak should be the opposite of the type of player the Canucks should be targeting. Unless he's somehow willing to come here on a 1-year contract between $2-3M (which he won't be). This is going to be yet another bad contract.

Reactions: Hemty

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
33 years old declining bad at defense and cant drive offense. NO THANKS BILLY
He just turned 32, he certainly ain’t 33. But still I don’t want no part of him clogging up the center. If we have Horvat, Gaudette (and hopefully Pettersson) he certainly don’t have room for a pure offense Center in a bottom 6 role, not to mention we probably won’t ditch Gagner.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He's a middle six centre who is great on the PP, and is awful defensively. He's at most worth 3-3.5 million this year and anything more than 3 years would be a disaster since he's already 32. But with gagner in the fold, it's stupid to bring in another offensive first centre that doesn't play half the ice.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Maybe on a one year deal and then we could flip him at the deadline. Two problems with that though.

1) why would Bozak sign a one year deal and why would he sign it with us?

2) Jim has proven that he’s entirely incapable of trading a rental for draft picks are the deadline. We’ve been down this road so many times, it just isn’t happening.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
With the cap probably getting its biggest bump in a decade....
GM's will have a lot less pressure on them to need to dump a contract.

Maybe Minny might with Zucker and Dumba needing to get paid... but they would be trading good players of high value to make room, not attaching picks in order to dump. Except one : Tyler Ennis.

Just doing a general browse at capfriendly assuming an $80m cap, It seems that Ennis would be the one dump that would be accompanied by a pick.

SEABROOK. 32. Not that good. Would anyone want him at $4 mil for the next 6 yrs if he came with a first rounder? probably not.

You might be able to send something to Chicago to take on 25 yr old, $6m, Saad I suppose... but doubt a pick would come back with it...
That would be more of hockey trade. But could be a good value trade if they want simply more flexible pieces like Baertschi+.

Back to the main point tho... I would be ok with Bozak as a temporary middle 6 center plug for 2 seasons.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If they sign him it'll be a Loui Eriksson type situation all over again. Don't want in the least.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Bozak reminds me of backlund on the flames, He is good, not great, good defensively, good skater, good shot, good passer. Nothing stands out with him.

I say we pass on him, I think he is what 33 years old?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Only way we should take a player like Bozak is if we got rid of Gagner. He's a plug. Not a 4th line plug, but a plug nonetheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad