My thoughts on prospects/rookies

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I honestly have to say I feel kinda bad for these guys. Obviously all (well most) players who get to the NHL were the best player(s) on their previous teams. You know, first line, hero line, powerplay type of guys for the most part. They then get to the NHL and get put on the 4th line because they are a rookie. Now this doesnt apply to all players and teams, but if you expect the guy to be a first line player on your team then I say put him on the 1st line. If you project him to be a 3rd 4th line player then yeah put him on those lines. If he's used to scoring goals, then put him in a position to score goals, not a defensive/grinder 4th line.

On the flip side, I really have trouble understanding how a guy like *ahemantropovahem* gets drafted so high. Im sorry, but if you cant skate by the time your 18 then you shouldnt be getting drafted into the NHL. Theres plenty of talent out there that is already developed in the most BASIC elements of hockey. He was big, thats about it.

The NHL's effect on minor leagues has run deep. There are literally thousands of kids and now adults (ie me) who got the "oh your too small" drill at the tender age of 12-16. They always wanted the big guys because of the NHL size obsession (which thankfully is passing). That being said I hope the minor leagues start giving the smaller ones there DESERVED shots at pro hockey because like us small guys know (we play the hardest). ;) The bigger guys to me, were always the laziest and easiest to hit/check because of their lack of speed.

Anyways, Im 22 now and have lost my shot becuase of crap like this, but I at least hope the younger kids WITH SKILL, will get their deserved shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->