My take on the draft, and next year.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Dun-dun-dun. I've done this before, but this time I'm just going to stick to the top 10 picks. What I'm essentially doing is drafting how I think the draft could end up, and then I want to hear what people think will happen with the prospects next year, and how they fit into the team that they are drafted for (what it does for the team in the future.)

:edmonton

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Obviously they're looking for a top level centre that can play with their abundance of young, offensive talent. Whether or not RNH actually has the ability to take his performance to the next level remains to be seen, but if he can man-up against the tighter, faster NHL he'll make this team very scary in the future. He probably won't play in the NHL for at least a year.

:avs

Adam Larsson

Although they could use the wingers, I think that they will have the ability to meet that demand later in the draft, or through the free-agency. I don't personally think that Larsson is the best defenceman in the draft, but I know that most scouts see him as a player that would be very hard for Colorado to pass up. Their defence will be phenomenal in the future if he pans out. Might play for them as early as next year.

:panthers

Sean Couturier

They need help everywhere, and I think they're getting, potentially, the true #1 talent in the draft. He's big, he's got scoring touch, vision, and an amazing two way game. I really think that this guy could be the cornerstone of their franchise in the future if he develops properly. He'll play in the NHL next year.

:devils

Ryan Murphy

Dynamic, fast, and fills a position that the Devils desperately need. He'll add some serious firepower to their blueline and some dynamic offence that they could really use to help the team start contending again. I don't think he'll step in right away, but he very well could.

:isles

Dougie Hamilton

Having some serious offensive firepower the Islanders can use a true potential #1 defenceman...Hamilton gives that to them. He's who I believe will end up as the best defenceman of the draft. He's been compared to Pietrangelo with slightly less offensive instincts, but more physicality and better defence. He's probably one of the smartest players in the draft and just makes all the right plays. He can anchor their blueline as early as next season.

:sens

Gabriel Landeskog

I know people will probably think it's weird that I have him dropping this low, considering his level of talent, but it's just a circumstantial thing. He's NHL ready, strong, mobile, and has great hockey sense. He plays the best two-way game of the draft class and also has the highest goal scoring pace. I think he would step in right away, and has the off shot of starting on the first line with Spezza. In the future he could be a true leader and the glue that holds Ottawa together. High hopes.

:thrashers / Jets

Ryan Strome

Seems like a team lacking in a true #1 centre. Here's there chance to get one. I think Strome will be the most offensively gifted player to come out of this draft. With a wicked slap shot, great vision, speed and awareness he brings everything needed to be a true #1 centre in the NHL. He also isn't small and his frame is of a decent size so I think he'll be able to handle the physicality of the NHL. He could be ready next year, but it's a safer bet that he won't be playing in the NHL until at least one more season of Junior.

:cbj

Jonathan Huberdeau

He's had a strong playoffs, and a good year, but I think his draft stock will be influenced by the fact that he plays on the best team in the CHL. He's insulated by great players throughout the team, and has benefited somewhat from it. That's not to say that he won't be a good talent, and CBJ will be happy to have him playing in their top 6 in the future. I don't think he'll be ready next year though.

:bruins via :leafs

Nathan Beaulieu

Part of the reason Huberdeau can be taken so late is because of the strength of his team making him look so good, and Beaulieu is a big part of that. I don't know if he fits the Bruins' needs quite perfectly, but he'll be a help. The Bruins get a good offensive defenceman to play on the blueline as the test with Kaberle has failed. He probably won't make an immediate impact, but could be a staple in the future for the team.

:wild

Joel Armia

There's a lot to be said about this kid, but unfortunately I'm not the one to do it. I haven't seen him play that much, but from what I've read and heard he projects to be a top level winger. He's got decent size and good hands. He can snipe, and he'll fit in with the other finns in the Wild's system. Dunno if he'll play next year, but should be a fixture in the top 6 for years to come.

Seguins Dragon*

Oil- RNH
Avs- Larsson
Panthers- Landeskog
NJD- Couturier
NYI- Hamilton
OTT- Huberdeau
ATL- Zibanejad
COL- Strome
BOS- Murphy

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Oil - RNH
Avs - Landeskog
Pant - Cooter
Devs - Larsson
NYI - Huber
OTT - Strome
Winp - Zibby
CBJ - Murphy
Bos - Hamilton
Minn - Armia

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport
The Islanders will not pass on Landeskog for Hamilton!! If Ottawa wants Landeskog they will have to trade up from the 6th position. Landeskog is exactly the type of player that Garth Snow covets (good skill, hardworking, big, strong & a great leader))!! Also, as sure a player in the top 5 or 10 to be at least be a good NHLer.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The Islanders will not pass on Landeskog for Hamilton!! If Ottawa wants Landeskog they will have to trade up from the 6th position. Landeskog is exactly the type of player that Garth Snow covets (good skill, hardworking, big, strong & a great leader))!! Also, as sure a player in the top 5 or 10 to be at least be a good NHLer.

Dougie Hamilton has all of those qualities himself, but he's also a defenceman. He just might be the best defenceman in the entire draft. It's just my opinion that I think these are the most likely picks for each team.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
EDIT: Forgot to add Thrashers - Huberdeau

Oilers - RNH
Avalanche - Landeskog
Panthers - Larsson
Devils - Murphy
NYI - Couturier
Senators - Strome
Thrashers - Huberdeau
Blue Jackets - Hamilton
Bruins - Siemens
Wild - Beaulieu

Last edited:

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport
Dougie Hamilton has all of those qualities himself, but he's also a defenceman. He just might be the best defenceman in the entire draft. It's just my opinion that I think these are the most likely picks for each team.

Snow has passed over Schenn, Fowler & Gormley in recent years to select forwards and I think that he will continue to do so and concentrate on defensemen with second round picks like Ness & Hamonic or trade his two second round picks to move back into the first round and select a defenseman in the 15-30 range similar to his trade to draft Dehaan. I also think that Landeskog, Couturier and Huberdeau will be better players than Hamilton. But none of us know for sure, which is what makes the draft so interesting!!

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Edmonton - R. Nugent-Hopkins
Colorado - G. Landeskog
Florida - S. Couturier
New Jersey - A. Larsson
NY Islanders - D. Hamilton
Ottawa - J. Huberdeau
Winnipeg - R. Strome
Columbus - R. Murphy
Boston - N. Beaulieu
Minnesota - J. Armia

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Oilers - RNH
Avalanche - Landeskog
Panthers - Larsson
Devils - Murphy
NYI - Couturier
Senators - Strome
Blue Jackets - Hamilton
Bruins - Siemens
Wild - Beaulieu

greatest need is a scoring forward, hell some flash would be nice too, we have a pretty good glut of dman, and if Burns is extended it would be a wasted pick with guys like Zibanejad (scoring, two way game, grit all fit what wild need) or Bartschi (scoring, two way game)

while most have Armia going to us because he's from finland (and Wild picks might get really boring for the next 8 or so years where every scout will just assign the highest rated Finnish prospect to where the Wild are) I can see them going with either Zibanejad if he's available or trying to trade down, remember BOS has our 2nd.

My Oppinion on top 10

1: RNH
2: Coturier (if he develops they will have a number 1 and 2 center in him and Matt D, meaning they can deal Stastny to fill need/shed some money)
3: Strome
4: Larsson
5: Hamilton
6: Landeskog
7: Huberdau
8: Murphy
9: Zibanejad can play LW or C making him valuable
10: Wild would then trade down since offensive players are gone try to pick up some picks, who they trade with is up in the air.

This may be way off so sorry for that, tho this should be one of the more entertaining drafts to watch in a long time, there is so many surprises that i will be glued to the tv or at the x.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The million dollar question is: will NJ and/or the Isles take one of Hamilton or Murphy? I assume one of them will, so Ottawa will take the leftover forward (Couturier or Huberdeau I assume, maybe Landeskog).

1.RNH
2.Larsson
3.Couturier
4.Hamilton/Murphy
5.Landeskog
6.Huberdeau

39LongYears

Nov 3, 2009
So Landeskog drops to the 6th overall selection......

How ironic you are an Ottawa Senators fan.......and Landeskog happens to fall to number six overall !!!

Hilarious! We know you have a mancrush but there is no way he falls that far!

Nice work on the mock tho! I enjoy your input!!

earthbound

May 9, 2011
My predictions:

EDM: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
COL: Adam Larsson
FLO: Sean Couturier
NJ: Dougie Hamilton
NYI: Jonathan Huberdeau
OTT: Gabriel Landeskog
ATL: Ryan Murphy
CLB: Ryan Strome
BOS: Joel Armia
MIN: Nathan Beaulieu

Seguins Dragon*

LOL at Boston fans hoping Murphy drops to 9th

lol @ leaf fans worried about Boston.

We have seen it at every draft a player falls out, or someone is taken off the board, don't you worry, someone nice will fall right into Boston's lap at #9... hopefully it's Murphy, and it has a good chance to be (see Fowler last year)

Since Seguin broke out, haven't seen you in many Seguin threads bashing the kid... funny how that works.

Well, it could very well happen if Hamilton is available for Columbus..

Yes it could...

In the scenario I put above, I feel it will happen... just going by the one poster *forget name but he went to every team and conduct polls of who they want, and it actually had Hamilton dropping to Boston... I don't think that will happen, but Murphy has a good chance.

He is a boom/bust pick and some teams may not want to take the risk on him, and rather take a more "sure bet" if you will...

Boston already having a solid team with a very promising future and budding star in Seguin, can take that risk on Murphy.

They are in a unique position not many teams get... they are one of 4 teams left competing for the cup, and have a top 10 pick.

If Hamilton/Murphy are gone by 9, Boston is taking Mika Zibanejad.... he just fits their mold of an all round player, defensivley sound and "plays tough"... prototypical Bruin.

There is lots of talk and swirl that Boston may even trade up to get Murphy when the time comes, they have been keeping a close eye on the kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Edmonton - R. Nugent-Hopkins
Colorado - G. Landeskog
Florida - S. Couturier
New Jersey - A. Larsson
NY Islanders - D. Hamilton
Ottawa - J. Huberdeau
Winnipeg - R. Strome
Columbus - R. Murphy
Boston - N. Beaulieu
Minnesota - J. Armia

Thats exactly how I see it happening, although I think Minnesota may take Zibanejad.

4thliner*

I think Ottawa won't get Landeskog at 6th, there is just something about 'ready' skill players in the draft with his character and toughness. He could go as high as 1st or 2nd overall.

But there is that chance that he could drop out of the top 2 spots and the next teams on the list won't mind waiting on guys like Huberdeau, Murphy, Strome little longer and reap the rewards of a potential superstar in a year or 2.

Anyway you look at it, you can't go wrong in the top 8 of this years draft.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Snow has passed over Schenn, Fowler & Gormley in recent years to select forwards and I think that he will continue to do so and concentrate on defensemen with second round picks like Ness & Hamonic or trade his two second round picks to move back into the first round and select a defenseman in the 15-30 range similar to his trade to draft Dehaan. I also think that Landeskog, Couturier and Huberdeau will be better players than Hamilton. But none of us know for sure, which is what makes the draft so interesting!!

I hope everyone would read this post before having Hamilton to the Isles in their Mocks.

I couldn't agree more. I know a lot of Ottawa fans are hoping the Devils or Isles take a Murphy or Hamilton but I just don't see it happening. For both NJD and NYI its either Larsson or a forward.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I think RNH makes it right out of camp. After the season ended, he said he was 165 and now is up to 172 (RNH himself said it in an interview with the team 1260).If he continues working out and getting bigger and stronger, he should be up to 176-178 by the start of the season and that IMO is enough to play in the NHL.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Thats exactly how I see it happening, although I think Minnesota may take Zibanejad.

I don't know.. Koivu and Granlund are likely going to be Minnesota's top 2 centers for many years to come. Unless they feel Zibanejad is a 3rd liner I doubt they take him. They need a goalscoring winger and they love Finns. Armia is an easy choice IMO.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I don't know.. Koivu and Granlund are likely going to be Minnesota's top 2 centers for many years to come. Unless they feel Zibanejad is a 3rd liner I doubt they take him. They need a goalscoring winger and they love Finns. Armia is an easy choice IMO.

Assuming Granlund's concussion issues don't come back to haunt him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad