My son asked me about the Memorial Cup...

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I think the last time this happened was 2006 when the host Moncton Wildcats beat Quebec in 7 games in the QMJHL final, Quebec and Moncton both advanced to the Memorial Cup.

moko00

Dec 24, 2007
It also happened in 2008. Kitchener Rangers defeated the Belleville Bulls in the Final. Both teams were in Kitchener for the Memorial Cup.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
kinda happened in 2007...Medicine Hat and Vancouver in WHL final and since Vancouver was hosting the Memorial Cup, both team were through...
Medicine Hat ended up winning the Championship while Vancouver won the Memorial Cup

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Im referring to Junior C,B,A and major. Im sure its different in Ontario.

Maybe you should elaborate. The question was in regards to the Memorial Cup Host. The Memorial Cup is a tournament comprised of the three Champions of the Major Junior Leagues in Canada (OHL, QMJHL, WHL) And one host city is also selected and plays in the tournament. In the event that the host city wins it's league title the team they beat in the finals plays in the tournament.

Regular Junior A, B, or C teams do not compete for the Memorial Cup

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
Maybe you should elaborate. The question was in regards to the Memorial Cup Host. The Memorial Cup is a tournament comprised of the three Champions of the Major Junior Leagues in Canada (OHL, QMJHL, WHL) And one host city is also selected and plays in the tournament. In the event that the host city wins it's league title the team they beat in the finals plays in the tournament.

Regular Junior A, B, or C teams do not compete for the Memorial Cup

Dude the Qmjhl ohl and whl is Junior Hockey. lol I know I played 3 years in the Q.

And I believe I said major junior.

all junior hosts get a buy to finial tourney. even junior C

alcoraces

Jun 1, 2008
Dude the Qmjhl ohl and whl is Junior Hockey. lol I know I played 3 years in the Q.

And I believe I said major junior.

all junior hosts get a buy to finial tourney. even junior C

You are missing the point of the question. Everyone here knows the host team gets a bye to the Championship Tournament, in Major Junior, Junior A, B and C. That is not what the question was.

The host team and then the league champs compete. The question was:

What if the host team wins their league? Who goes in that case?

Understand now?

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Dude, what final tourney?

Let's say St-Jérôme had have won the LHJAAAQ championship over, oh, I don't know, Sherbrooke. The Fred Page Cup would have been played in St-Jérôme between Carleton Place, Truro, St-Jérôme, and Sherbrooke by virtue of being the LHJAAAQ runners up.

If Arnprior wins the EOJHL championship next year, the EOJHL runners up will also be ging to the Don Johnson Cup by virtue of having lost to the host team in the final.

FWIW, the OHA Jr C championship isn't a lame tournament, and the NCJHL champion doesn't go on to any other championship, so this doesn't apply to Ontario Junior C.

Otto

Let's say St-Jérôme had have won the LHJAAAQ championship over, oh, I don't know, Sherbrooke. The Fred Page Cup would have been played in St-Jérôme between Carleton Place, Truro, St-Jérôme, and Sherbrooke by virtue of being the LHJAAAQ runners up.

If Arnprior wins the EOJHL championship next year, the EOJHL runners up will also be ging to the Don Johnson Cup by virtue of having lost to the host team in the final.

FWIW, the OHA Jr C championship isn't a lame tournament, and the NCJHL champion doesn't go on to any other championship, so this doesn't apply to Ontario Junior C.

So... not the Memorial Cup... which is what the original question was about. Also, it doesn't address the post by HFX902 that says the host gets an automatic berth in the tournament. In actuality, it's the league winner.. which is the same for any league

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
So... not the Memorial Cup... which is what the original question was about. Also, it doesn't address the post by HFX902 that says the host gets an automatic berth in the tournament. In actuality, it's the league winner.. which is the same for any league

HFX902, correctly, pointed out that the host gets an automatic berth into all of these junior tournaments, at all levels - Major, A/AAA, B/AA, and C/A. For example, Saskatoon was swept in the first round by Medicine Hat last year, and still played in the Memorial Cup. Any team with any amount of dignity would have bowed out after that (comme Les Saguenéens et Les Harfangs in 1988 and 1991 respectively), but that's another matter.

The league winner gets a berth, and the host gets a berth. If the host is also the league champion, the league runners up go as the 'league representative' and play the league champion's schedule.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax

Otto do you even know what your talking about? Do you know why the host team gets a buy in the first place? and the Memorial cup is Junior Hockey...... Same rules apply. that's what we are trying to explain.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
You are missing the point of the question. Everyone here knows the host team gets a bye to the Championship Tournament, in Major Junior, Junior A, B and C. That is not what the question was.

The host team and then the league champs compete. The question was:

What if the host team wins their league? Who goes in that case?

Understand now?

The hosts team wins the league all the time. some where in junior hockey this happens every year.. they just send the 2nd overall place team. from the hosts division. So if London was to win the OHL this year they would have sent the runner up. easy.

Otto

Otto do you even know what your talking about? Do you know why the host team gets a buy in the first place? and the Memorial cup is Junior Hockey...... Same rules apply. that's what we are trying to explain.

I understand completely what the Memorial Cup is and it's format. I just don't understand you

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Ok, let me answer the question without the bickering. If the host team wins their league, the runner up gets in. This is the same for the Memorial Cup in the CHL which is Major Junior, the RBC Cup in the CJHL, which is Junior A (and the Western Canada Cup, which is the SJHL/AJHL/BCHL/MJHL qualifier to the RBC Cup), the Keystone Cup which is the Western Canadian Junior B championship. Heck, even the CIS University Cup works this way (unless they are a conference in which they already have two slots, then the third place team gets in, but I believe going forward the CIS eliminated this rule.)

Even in international hockey, the host gets in. I believe a few years ago one of the European hosts was relegated, but were allowed to stay up as they were the hosts.

This is all done to help guarantee ticket sales. If the Blades (who footed the bill for the tournament) had bowed out, Saskatoon wouldn't have bought packages for the tournament. You may not like this from a competitive standpoint, but this is necessary to entice fans to buy tickets. Very, very few sports events sell large quantities of tickets without a local team participating. The only ones I can think of are the Grey Cup and the Super Bowl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad