Proposal: My somewhat realistic (but mostly hopeful) Habs offseason wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
A couple of moves need to be made to make the Habs a serious contender, I think one big step will be Galchenyuk becoming a legit top six forward, and I'm fairly certain he'll be able to do this.

1st deal:
Emelin and Budaj for Brouwer and 2014 3rd

Addresses size issue in top six and clears some cap and also gives Washington a veteran backup and solid defensive top 4 D, obviously lose physicality on D but my more of a stretch next deal addresses that.

2nd deal:
Plekanec, Moen, Nygren and 2014 1st for Dillon, Roussel and 2014 2nd/3rd&5th

Allows Chucky to move into a top six center role, adds physicality and youth to the back end in Dillon who has top pairing potential and a super pest in Roussel. Gives Dallas a good 2nd line center, who I no longer like quite as much and would be fine with seeing gone. If Roussel was a no go from Dallas, I'd be willing to simplify to Pleks, Nygren and 1st for Dillon and 2nd, and move Moen elsewhere for a late pick. I'd then go for one of the following free agents for the third line, in order of who I'd go for first:
Komarov (3 years 2 million)
Kulemin (3 years 3.25 million)
Winnik (3 years 2.75 million)
Downie (2 years 2 million)

3rd deal:
Briere to Buffalo (or anywhere really) for a 5th.
Unlikely he waives, but maybe for his former team Buffalo he would. He is next to useless at this point imo, and it would clear cap space.

Resign:
Subban: 8 years 8 million
Eller 3 years 3 million
Vanek 6 years 7 million
Markov 2 years 6 million (if he demands the third year, push hard for Niskanen.)
Weaver 2 years 1.75 million
Weise 2 years 1.25 million
White 1 year 750k

Sign in UFA:
Engelland for 1 year 900k, plays as our number 7 D and adds toughness and size when needed.
Someone like Mike Rupp or Cody Mcormick 1 year 750k to be a 14th forward and add toughness and some PK ability.

Lineup:
Patches-DD-Brouwer
Vanek-Chucky-Gally
Bourque-Eller-Roussel/UFA
Prust-Bournival-Weise
White-Rupp

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Dillon
Beaulieau-Weaver
Engelland

Price
Tokarski