My Rank of The most Likely players from the 2003 NHL Draft to make the HHOF

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
I'd pay real money for Getzlaf missing it. He's a prime example of a player who takes entire seasons lazily and hurts his team more than helps.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The title says my opening lines, pretty much.
Practically Guarunteed:
1. Patrice Bergeron
2. Ryan Getzlaf
Very Likely:
3. Shea Weber
4. Marc-Andre Fleury
Fairly Good Chance:
5. Corey Perry
6. Eric Staal
Lower Chance:
7. Brent Burns
8. Ryan Suter
9. Zach Parise
10. Corey Crawford
Not Likely:
11. Thomas Vanek
12. Jeff Carter
13. Joe Pavelski
Fluke (Just for lols):
14. Ryan Kesler
15. Jaroslav Halak
16. Dion Phaneuf (lols FTW)

-BlueBull

Corey Crawford being drafted in 2003 is nuts considering he's only been a starter for 6 years.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
I think at this point Staal and Getzlaf will have good enough offensive resumes that it will be hard to keep them out unless they just fall apart next year. They're both 32 and still productive, Staal's at 922 points and Getzlaf's at 875, they both have rings and at least the one big season they can hang their hat on. I'm not sure how many modern 1000 point guys are ever going to be left out but Staal holds up at all and he's going to have 500/1200.

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
Weber may end up suffering the same fate as Wilson, and a big part of that is lack of team success. It's not either of their fault, but if either of them have a couple of cups, they'd be in. Team success has a lot to do with whether a borderline case gets in or not. Only the players with truly game breaking numbers can avoid that stigma.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The title says my opening lines, pretty much.
Practically Guarunteed:
1. Patrice Bergeron
2. Ryan Getzlaf
Very Likely:
3. Shea Weber
4. Marc-Andre Fleury
Fairly Good Chance:
5. Corey Perry
6. Eric Staal
Lower Chance:
7. Brent Burns
8. Ryan Suter
9. Zach Parise
10. Corey Crawford
Not Likely:
11. Thomas Vanek
12. Jeff Carter
13. Joe Pavelski
Fluke (Just for lols):
14. Ryan Kesler
15. Jaroslav Halak
16. Dion Phaneuf (lols FTW)

-BlueBull

The only ones I would entertain would be the top 7. Crawford seemed to be a decent candidate for it at one point, but even then he was going to have to be a goalie that got in for winning a lot.

Bergeron is all but a lock I think. He is more than a Carbonneau/Lehtinen/Peca type. For starters he was better offensively than either of them and secondly is likely to be the all-time winner in Selkes. Plus his playoff record is pretty good and he's been a staple on Team Canada. He's in.

Getzlaf ought to be in as well. He's had some good years where he peaked for the Hart: 2, 6, 7th. Plus what will put him over the top is his playoff record, it is great. He's had some great runs but his team has fallen short. Still has the Cup, also was a regular on Team Canada.

So those two.........definitely. You think of them among the best centres of their era don't you?

After that we'll see but I like Weber's chances. Can you keep a defenseman out who has 4 First or Second all-stars and finished for the Norris 5 times in the top 4? Plus some other good years outside of that. How can you? It isn't as if Weber even had a bad year in Montreal before he got hurt. He just ran into some terrible luck. He's on a mediocre team his whole career, his team made a trade to a dysfunctional organization with no hope and the team he bled for over a decade for started getting good. I hope we haven't forgotten that quickly how he can do in a full season. His last full season - a year ago - he finished 6th in Norris. If people don't think Weber is a HHOFer, then they have a serious case of "What have you done for me lately". How about two gold medals in the Olympics where he was without a doubt their best defenseman combined?

Perry, no. Just not enough and he's declining. Nice Hart year in 2011 but if you have to thank David Steckel for it (Crosby injury) it tells me you would have never won it in the first place. Granted, it was a great season, but he only has one other elite year. It isn't enough.

Staal, no. First 5 years in the NHL, yeah it looks like it. But he's had some prime years where he had every opportunity to do something and didn't. Floated around in Carolina for too long and was far too removed from the elite for too long as well. You might say he has those two nice playoff runs in 2006 with a Cup and in 2009. Sure, but since then? 15 games and 3 points. Nice little boost in Minnesota now, but it's too late. He's not going to start getting Hart noms at his age.

Fleury is the biggest wild card. For starters, he has three Cups. On second thought the two negatives for him are that he didn't have dominant regular seasons. Vezina finishes that were 7th and 8th. That's it. Not to mention some awful postseasons after 2009. Obviously in the last few years he's redeemed himself. Was extremely important last spring for Pittsburgh, even if Murray was too. Played most of the 2016 but Murray carried them in the postseason. Still, he played 58 games that year. Now seeing what he has done with Vegas you realize just how good he can be when he is "the guy". He was very popular and likeable in Pittsburgh and the #1 goalie for a long time but was never "the guy" in Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin but you are now seeing that he almost thrives better when he is relied upon more. I say his story is far from being written.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think at this point Staal and Getzlaf will have good enough offensive resumes that it will be hard to keep them out unless they just fall apart next year. They're both 32 and still productive, Staal's at 922 points and Getzlaf's at 875, they both have rings and at least the one big season they can hang their hat on. I'm not sure how many modern 1000 point guys are ever going to be left out but Staal holds up at all and he's going to have 500/1200.

Staal just had too much time where he was sleepwalking. Way too many years where he wasn't even on the radar as an elite centre in the NHL. This is where Getzlaf differs from him, among other things. Heck, Staal played a full season with a 39 point year. That's not good.

Weber may end up suffering the same fate as Wilson, and a big part of that is lack of team success. It's not either of their fault, but if either of them have a couple of cups, they'd be in. Team success has a lot to do with whether a borderline case gets in or not. Only the players with truly game breaking numbers can avoid that stigma.

I hear ya, but Weber's story isn't written. He turned 33 this year. Still lots of time to make your mark as a defenseman. Plus, he was still an elite defenseman last year and even this year prior to injury. Do people think his career is over or something? He outweighs Wilson overall.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Burns is another guy we'll just have to wait and see with. Too high of a peak value to totally dismiss. The problem is, is he too late with his big years? What years was he a winger again? In 2008 he had some Norris votes then he switched back to wing, but for how long was that again?

Either way, he is suited as a defenseman. Two elite years, plus this one. One Norris, a nice run for the Cup final which he was Smythe worthy. We'll see how his 30s go.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Burns is another guy we'll just have to wait and see with. Too high of a peak value to totally dismiss. The problem is, is he too late with his big years? What years was he a winger again? In 2008 he had some Norris votes then he switched back to wing, but for how long was that again?

Either way, he is suited as a defenseman. Two elite years, plus this one. One Norris, a nice run for the Cup final which he was Smythe worthy. We'll see how his 30s go.

a very weird career. scored more as a defenseman than as joe thornton’s winger.

as i recall he played wing pretty regularly his first three seasons in sj. i had him in my keeper pool and he was great value as a guy who was listed as a defenseman but actually played forward. then when they put him back i thought, great now i’ll lose all that bonus production but somehow even his goals totals went up.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Perry, no. Just not enough and he's declining. Nice Hart year in 2011 but if you have to thank David Steckel for it (Crosby injury) it tells me you would have never won it in the first place. Granted, it was a great season, but he only has one other elite year. It isn't enough.

Too much of a winning pedigree to keep out (it's beyond a Triple Gold and instead a Full Scotty), and a lot of the little things could go in his favor. I believe he's the only forward from the 2003 class with a 1st Team selection and he has two of them. Big beneficiary of the spotlight that landed on the 2004-05 London Knights during the lockout too, in that more is made of his junior career than what we usually see. If he merely plays five more healthy seasons, he should hit the requisite career numbers, but most of the more difficult bulletpoints are satisfied already.

Corey Perry
1x Hart Trophy
2x 1st Team All-Star
1x Rocket Richard Trophy
5x Top-10 in Goals
NHL Record - OT Goals in a Single Playoff (3)
1x Stanley Cup
2x Olympic Gold
1x World Cup
1x World Championship (Captain)
1x Memorial Cup (MVP, OHL MVP/Playoff MVP)
1x World Junior Championship

The only thing missing from his HOF highlight package is his 1000th point. If he does it in a Ducks jersey (which given his contract, it might have to be in one), I think Perry's a slam dunk.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i like perry. hell if he retired today i have him at least in the barber/anderson/anderson range, with the highest peak of the three.

but i wonder, would we even be having this conversation if the 2011 hart voting had gone 1. st louis, 2./3. perry and sedin in either order, as it should have?

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
i like perry. hell if he retired today i have him at least in the barber/anderson/anderson range, with the highest peak of the three.

but i wonder, would we even be having this conversation if the 2011 hart voting had gone 1. st louis, 2./3. perry and sedin in either order, as it should have?

Probably still, because he'd have the Rocket, another 1st Team from 2013-14 (presuming he loses the 2010-11 one to St. Louis), and the full collection of team awards to fall back on. Now if he loses the Hart and doesn't get the late invitation to the World Cup? Probably not. But I think either one (Hart Trophy or Niedermayer Slam) is enough by itself to enter the conversation. Having both is what I think won't be ignored.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal has approx 150 more goals than Getzlaf. In addition, he has been far more durable, and you could argue that he has played with worse teammates. I would say that Staal should go in ahead of Getzlaf at this point, though neither are a sure thing. It's really all about who manages to stay relevant by playing at a high level in their mid 30's. It could be that Getzlaf's rambunctious playing style (relative to Staal, anyway) will take it's toll on him.

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
Weber has a better case than people are letting on. I feel his contract, recent injuries and the trade have caused people to look down on him. In reality, he is still an elite Dman until proven otherwise.

A staple for Team Canada, longtime Predators captain, respected leader and fierce competitor who is one of the game's best shutdown Dman and off the top of my head best goal scoring Dman of his era. He has a very good case.

Staal to me is much more likely than Fleury. Sorry but Fleury has mostly been an average starter. That's the truth. He has a shot though if he wins a cup or Vezina or longevity of elite play with Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->