OT: My proudest moment

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It’s one of those things that you just hear about on TV, in Sweden have this Children’s Cancer Foundation that often collects money. But it seems so remote and so rare, but there are at least two posters here who have shared their stories with me about how they had it and I know a few others have had kids that had it.

If there is one thing I learned it’s that the support is so important. Thanks all! And if god forbid anyone close to you ever get it, cheer them on. Support them. All possible ways. It’s such a grueling fight that they need it.

When I was in the hospital for 10 days in January because of covid it was hard because there was a no visitor policy. Because of the cancer I’d fractured my L-5 and I was in a lot of pain and on a lot of drugs. In April and May it was 15 days but a lot easier because my wife and daughter could at least come and see…..and I didn’t need nearly as many pain meds. The worst thing actually about the second time was there was an infant two doors down from me. Hate to see young kids go through that.

Support does help a ton.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Sickness is no fun for anyone . My dad is in year 2 of prostate cancer and he is 84 and was always healthy as a trout . Lately though I see him failing and fast . At the same time my mom who is 82 just had two mini strokes the last two weeks . My mom lost her brother 2 months ago and my dad lost his baby sister last month and I know this all weighs on them plus my own heart health issues . It is a hard visit every time I drop in knowing that one of these times could be the last . Live every day as it is precious . Eco and Ola...take care and BBK !

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sickness is no fun for anyone . My dad is in year 2 of prostate cancer and he is 84 and was always healthy as a trout . Lately though I see him failing and fast . At the same time my mom who is 82 just had two mini strokes the last two weeks . My mom lost her brother 2 months ago and my dad lost his baby sister last month and I know this all weighs on them plus my own heart health issues . It is a hard visit every time I drop in knowing that one of these times could be the last . Live every day as it is precious . Eco and Ola...take care and BBK !

A silver lining from this for me is to not take things as much for granted anymore. Right now I work out most days on a recumbent bike. I want to get my strength and endurance up. We have an exercise bike at home too but the back is still a bit of an issue. I expect it will come around in time though. But yes I do appreciate the days that I have. I found out very early on I didn't want to let this thing beat me---at least not right off and not without a fight.

My dad died in 2012 at 89. He'd had cancer three times and it started out as prostate. The last time it got into his spine. My oldest sister died next--she had Ovarian cancer that eventually mestastisized--she died about a week short of her 61st birthday in 2015 and my mom died of pneumonia on christmas eve in 2017. She was 95. They're all tough but my sister's was the worst. I don't envy the troubles you're going through because I've been there and I don't take these things very well myself. All I can say is hang in there as best you can.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I got so much support and love from the boards back in October when I mentioned that my son had been diagnosed with skeleton cancer (in his hip). I also learned that many was moved by it on a personal level with an experience of family members falling ill.

I just want to provide an update. After 9 months Albin has been declared healthy after a grueling chemo treatment and a huge surgery in which he amputated his femora.

Behind the camera you got the proudest dad in the world and in front of it the biggest hero and fighter I’ve ever met.

Here Albin gets to ring the ceremonial bell:

Thanks everyone for the support we received, it really warmed my heart!

Congrats to your son. So happy he is healthy. And you and your wife, rest easy. I could imagine what the two of you have been going through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad