my proposal for the new CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
alright, since a cap will not be put into play I decided to see what all of you thought of my luxery tax system

a minimum salary for teams would be 28 million, so to qualify for that money you have to have a minimum payroll of 28 million and a maximum payroll of 33

the luxery tax threshold would start at 33 million

for every dollar over 33 million teams pay one dollar into a pot to be split evenly for the lowest revenue generating teams

for every dollar spent over 38 million teams would give three dollars into the pot

for every dollar spent over 45 million teams would give 5 dollars into the pot

the reason I structured it this way is to stop teams from going over 38 million dollars on payroll so you would have a ten million dollar window if your at the lowest end of the payroll or a 6 million dollar gap

set pay for drafted players with no bonus clauses

UFA at 28 instead of 31

arbitration would be allowed to be requested by both the clubs and the players, those hearings could bring a players salary down

RFA offer can be 80% of the previous contact

what do ya think and why, I tried to keep some room if you wanna make a cup run which is why the 5 million window over the threshold would just charge teams 1 dollar for every dollar over

this would allow the free market that the players want along with forced revenue sharing but it would also cap the salaries of almost all teams at 38 million

most teams will not want to pay 1 million to a player and 3 million to the pot over 38 million....

Feb 12, 2003
It's not that far off from a hard cap when you make the luxury cap threshold like that, but I don't disagree with you. I think the NHL could come in with a proposal that is based on a luxury tax with a threshold that could be negotiated with by the NHLPA. That's what I suspect the end result will be, unfortunately I think your proposal is too stiff for the PA to accept, because it'd nearly be like having a $38 million hard cap because the penalty would be too great to surpass it.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A somewhat whacked idea that's been formulating in my head is as follows:

1) Cap 36 Mill. - Reduce season to 72 games - roughly 1/2 mill per game payroll. Payable in 13equal installments as is the case now.

2) Top 22 teams make the playoffs - w/ a league cap of 180 mill. for the playoff. (Paid to the league @ 6 mill per team throughout the season) First round is the bottom 12 teams playing a best of 5. Top 10 teams get a bye into round 2. Then it'll just be 1 vs. 16, etc..... You'll almost have two playoff races ... a race to get intot he top 10 & a race to qualify as one of the top 22... The 180 mill would be distributed to the top 22 teams with the Cup winner getting the most while the 6 teams eliminated in round 1 get the least. These amounts are not part of a players contract & will not be added to the contract when determining the amount required for qualifying purposes, etc. The roster would need to be defined beforehand ... I think it already is ... & those players would each be paid equal pre-defined amounts at the end of each round.

Incidently, 1 & 2 add up to 42 mill per team ... which is apparently the league average now...... but in this whacked scenario, the SC winner will ultimately reward it's players with a cheque considerably higher then the 8 also rans who didn't make the playoffs.....

3) And here's the kicker ... entry draft will be reveresed and decided by standings ... IE -> build a strong team with the cap, & you stay strong by being able to draft well. The veterans will be more likely to re-sign as they know there's a good chance that they'll make some decent playoff money from a well-run team... besides what's the point in rewarding mediocrity with a Sydney Crosby??

4) Simular to Burke & TSN's proposals, cap entry level contracts & reduce the % of qualifying prior to UFA to 75% of the value of the contract the final year. With roughly 16% of a players income coming from the playoff bonus described above, this amount might not be too hard for a small-market team to absorb when considering trades, etc.

5) Reduce the age of Free Agency. I still think this will ultimately lower salaries & I also think players will be more inclined to sign 1 year deals in hopes of having a solid season and making a bit more the next year.... also, if there's more emphasis on playoff salaries, players may be more hesitant to lock into a long-term deal with a New York Ranger or some other poorly run organization...... owners likely won't hand out the long-term deals ALA Turgeon, Yashin, etc knowing there's a cap & knowing there's more FA's next year.

I'm just an armchair negotiator, but I think I'm onto something ... or maybe just on something!!!!! :banana: :jump: :D

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
tgallant said:
Wow... who wizzed on your corn flakes this morning...
! lol, I heard that one before.. I'm sorry if someone rips an ex GM's/assistant commish CBA proposal and calls it his own and the best thing you have to say is I was too harsh. They expell people from University for plagarism, gimme a break.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
littleHossa said:
! lol, I heard that one before.. I'm sorry if someone rips an ex GM's/assistant commish CBA proposal and calls it his own and the best thing you have to say is I was too harsh. They expell people from University for plagarism, gimme a break.

actually I can prove I came up with this idea first...Burkes solution was released on a Tuesday in Sept....Sept. 14 to be exact

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2004/09/14/Sports/burke040914.html

proof....

I posted this solution on Sept. 9 2004 on the Pittsburgh Penguins message board

http://forums.pittsburghpenguins.co...d=allposts&Main=894946&Search=true#Post895071

so spit on Burke, not me.... :banana:

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Great resiliency, but you still ripped him, it's eerily silimar, this post made in October is word for word Brian Burke's post, yet you didn't even mention anything like "well look at that, my proposal might ressemble X but put your comments" and you might even make the allusion the rip went the other way around. I remembered when I first saw the CBA proposal, that Burke's ideas were very old. You didn't invent it, and I won't even say 1 word on the fact that you defended yourself, how deep can you go?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2004/09/22/639490.html

"I don't care if they use my proposal," Burke told Topcat Sports. "It's a very severe tax on the threshold limit - once you've crossed that limit. I don't like the term 'luxury tax' because I think it's insulting to the players - players are not a luxury - but there has to be a system that somehow limits the ability of bigger-market teams to blow away the smaller-market teams. Revenue sharing will help, but you also need a control on spending."

Player union representative Ted Saskin said Burke's plan was worth "exploring," but described it as being basically the same plan Burke proposed during the 1994 lockout as a member of the NHL's front office.
It's ten years old, it's Burke's, it's these kind of people that we hate to meet and don't even know what to think when they cheat and steal. You got it one way or another, I don't care, most people can see that.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
littleHossa said:
Great resiliency, but you still ripped him, it's eerily silimar, this post made in October is word for word Brian Burke's post, yet you didn't even mention anything like "well look at that, my proposal might ressemble X but put your comments" and you might even make the allusion the rip went the other way around. I remembered when I first saw the CBA proposal, that Burke's ideas were very old. You didn't invent it, and I won't even say 1 word on the fact that you defended yourself, how deep can you go?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2004/09/22/639490.html

It's ten years old, it's Burke's, it's these kind of people that we hate to meet and don't even know what to think when they cheat and steal. You got it one way or another, I don't care, most people can see that.

first, you don't know me....and I never saw his proposal before I posted that on the Pens board...it was all my ideas....except one in which we talked about on the Pens board that I liked which was the owners and players each choosing arbitiration

you can believe what ever you want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad