My pick if I could change NHL Commissioner...

Navdeep Gill*

The NHL is not airing too many games this year, and last year the T.V ratings was not too much. Paul Tagliabue has stepped down as the Commissioner of the NFL. I was wondering how he sound as the new Commissioner of the NHL. The is a bright man and he could turn this Leauge around. He has turned the NFL into a powerhouse. And made Biilons just from T.V offers.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i'd prefer someone who has apprenticed in the league to assume the head job.

in any event, i don't think there's a better candidate than bill daly for the job when bettman steps down. heck, he even likes hockey ! :yo:

Falloooooon

Nov 11, 2004
Wow, this thread is pointless.

But Tagliabue's stepping down was more of a retirement. He stepped down because he doesn't want to be a commissioner.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Bill Daly does seem like the perfect candidate, should Bettman ever decide he's had enough. But there doesn't seem to be any likelihood that'll be needed any time soon.

GSC2k2*

The NHL is not airing too many games this year, and last year the T.V ratings was not too much. Paul Tagliabue has stepped down as the Commissioner of the NFL. I was wondering how he sound as the new Commissioner of the NHL. The is a bright man and he could turn this Leauge around. He has turned the NFL into a powerhouse. And made Biilons just from T.V offers.
"Turned the NFL into a powerhouse"?

Where have you been?

The NFL was already a powerhouse, ole chap, and have been for quite a long time. Tagliabue is surely a smart guy, but that is no big deal. There are plenty of them. He is/was no great shakes.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
David Stern is the best Commishioner. That guy made basketball what it is today. At one point basketball was struggling and now it is just booming.

You need a good forward thinker like that.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
David Stern is the best Commishioner. That guy made basketball what it is today. At one point basketball was struggling and now it is just booming.

You need a good forward thinker like that.

I agree unfortunatly for hockey we got his yes man as commish.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
"The NHL is not airing too many games this year, and last year the T.V ratings was not too much." Hey Gill- have you ever heard of Center Ice- you get just about every single game in tv- how is the league not airing too may games- I realize they are covered by different sources like TSN,CBC,OLN, Fox affiliates, Comcast, etc. but between all these you get most games covered. As far as the second part of the statement about tv ratings, I think this topic has been beaten more that to death I think most would agree. It is going to take a number of years for things to change and for a decent tv contract- who is commish is really not a hugh factor in that in my opinion. Down the road I hope it is someone with a hockey background to take over because I think that is what is needed to balance what Bettman has done which I feel have included many positives contrary to what many would think about his performance. Maybe Gretz will get tired of coaching- I wish.

GWhale*

I would ideally remove the commisioner position and replace it was the president of USA Hockey.

SPARTAKUS*

I agree unfortunatly for hockey we got his yes man as commish.

David Stern would kill to have the CBA the NHL has. Bettman outclass Stern no contest. Stern is overrated as a commish. I would say that right now the NHL is healthier than the NBA.

parkdale lad

Jun 9, 2006

Isn't the guy in his 70's or something?

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I would say that right now the NHL is healthier than the NBA.

Now that would really depend on what your definition of "healthier" is...

In my definition of "healthy," the NHL would be more healty if:

1. NHL is televised on ESPN, TNT (or some other BASIC cable channel), NBC (every weekend during the season.

2. In sports stores in SoCal you would have an EQUAL amount of hockey gear for sale as basketball. (Pasadena Sport Chalet store just got rid of ALL their hockey gear)

3. SoCal sports media wouild cover hockey as much as basketball.

4. Co-workers would know a bit about hockey to discuss in the break room (in my office of 125 employees, there are maybe 5 fans)

Enough fantasy for now. Hockey has declined quite a bit in popularity in SoCal in the last 15 - 20 years... It's not really healthy here.

DTownWingsfan

Mar 21, 2006
Downingtown, PA
No more basketball commissioners,Bettman screwed things up more than enough. Someone who actually likes the game and wants to make it better. Bowman would be a good idea,another idea would be Stevie Y.

SPARTAKUS*

Now that would really depend on what your definition of "healthier" is...

In my definition of "healthy," the NHL would be more healty if:

1. NHL is televised on ESPN, TNT (or some other BASIC cable channel), NBC (every weekend during the season.

2. In sports stores in SoCal you would have an EQUAL amount of hockey gear for sale as basketball. (Pasadena Sport Chalet store just got rid of ALL their hockey gear)

3. SoCal sports media wouild cover hockey as much as basketball.

4. Co-workers would know a bit about hockey to discuss in the break room (in my office of 125 employees, there are maybe 5 fans)

Enough fantasy for now. Hockey has declined quite a bit in popularity in SoCal in the last 15 - 20 years... It's not really healthy here.

I am not talking about popularity of course basketball is more popular in SoCal. But in several States hockey is ahead or equal to basketball in popularity. And in Canada where I live it's no contest hockey is the game.

I don't understand why the NHL has 3 franchises in California. Like you said SoCal don't care about hockey. So why not move those franchises up here in Canada where we care about the game. California do not deserve to have any NHL franchises. :shakehead

DTownWingsfan

Mar 21, 2006
Downingtown, PA
I am not talking about popularity of course basketball is more popular in SoCal. But in several States hockey is ahead or equal to basketball in popularity. And in Canada where I live it's no contest hockey is the game.

I don't understand why the NHL has 3 franchises in California. Like you said SoCal don't care about hockey. So why not move those franchises up here in Canada where we care about the game. California do not deserve to have any NHL franchises. :shakehead

You guys have enough hockey teams in Canada already,no point in moving three more up there just because they may not seem like they have enough fan support. If that logic made sense,then alot more teams would be moving up north.

KrisKing*

You guys have enough hockey teams in Canada already,no point in moving three more up there just because they may not seem like they have enough fan support. If that logic made sense,then alot more teams would be moving up north.

Yes, it would be stupid to move teams from a place where no one cares about them to a place that would give them tons of support.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Why do 9 out of 10 posts always have to revert to "the relocated teams would be better off in Canada" or "move this team to Canada where people really care about hockey", etc., etc. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead ENOUGH!!!!!

MB1

Mar 26, 2005
Bettman has done a wonderful job. He rescued hockey from itself. I wouldn't want to see anyone but him as commissioner at this point in time.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
If I could choose it would be Ken Dryden.

As for NBA/NHL comparisons, the NBA's salary cap pales in comparison to the NHL's, I think the NHL is very healthy at this point but there won't be noticable signs of it for a couple more years.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
At this point, I wouldn't change Bettman. To be honest, the CBA is good, and most of the rule changes have really worked in the NHL's favour. My choice would be Daly otherwise though.

-- George.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->