Proposal: my non-sexy 2 trade suggestions

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
i for one never ever say macquaid is useless... i just dont believe hes a top paid dman AND i know for a fact hes paid too much to be a bottom pair dman. if we have a hole in our middle pair for a big stay home guy with grit... macquaid is very useful.

same can be said for kevan miller.

my only issue is we dont need both guys. down the road when macquaid is finishing up his career i could easily imagine hed be a very good 6/7 guy. he has great character and sticks up for his teammates.

personally id miss macquaid alot after dealing him.

jimmy hayes on the other hand is addition by subtraction at this point and i doubt any of us ever suggest bringing him back.

as for all the crap wideman gets... he clearly doesnt suck. several gms have paid him millions of dollars. several coaches have played him first pair mins.

he isnt great defensively... he doesnt play very physical... but he definitely doesnt suck. hes inconsistent and doesnt look like hes giving 100% so fans get frustrated with him but he doesnt suck.

as for iginla and his nmc... i can think of 2-3 guys in history that actually refused to move period. coloroda is in shakeup mold now... roy has left. was iginla friends with roy?

we know iginla signed with boston as an ufa... we know he was willing to resign if we could afford him. im not convinced he would refuse a return.

but honestly my heart isnt set on iginla. i mostly just want to get rid of hayes.

dealing hayes for a 7th rounder and then signing hudler to a 1 year ufa deal would suit me just fine too.

i want to get rid of macquaid and hayes contracts for next season without bringing in a new contract because i think we have kids ready to step up next season and we need the cap room for spooner, pastrnak, marchand, and a good ufa dman

I think Iginla's lack of desire to move has more to do with his family than anything hockey-related.

If Colorado is out of it come next year's deadline and Iggy wants one last run at a cup while leaving the family in Colorado for a couple months, I can see him entertaining the notion of accepting a trade then. Otherwise he seems content staying in Denver.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Hey Alberta-Oreilly-fan, I may be wrong but I think this is the 1st time I responded to a thread you began. Thanks brother for all the awesome posts over the years..You're a true grit Bruin fan and that's something we certainly have in common..

AOR, my lone concern is the absence of Mcquaid's physical play. We're not a very physical team now and Wideman didn't work out too well here before, nor is he physical unless you're a linesman/referee..Bringing Iggy back for just the 1 season and getting rid of Hayes is 2 good things..I don't want Hayes in a Bruin jersey unless he can turn his game around.

i can understand why macquaid is valuable for his grit... i just cant see how theres room for him and k miller. if we lose macquaid, hopefully chara will step up a bit...but it will clearly put preasure on k miller.

the team could have let k miller walk as an ufa, but instead gave him a longterm deal. i think this indicates they want him around. i sure hope they arent planning to go with a top 4 of miller/chara and macquaid/krug. but the contracts indicate that is the plan.

i suppose the hope is c miller forces his way into the top pair but then one of macquaid or k miller end up with 3rd pair mins.

next year cap room will become critical.

having 3rd pair dmen making 2-3 mill isnt going to be acceptable

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I like Wideman a lot.

However, the bottom line is they need at least one too pairing guy and realistically, probably a top pairing guy and another top 4. You can shuffle out a bottom pairing guy with one skill set for another with a different skill set and I'm not sure what you've accomplished.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I like Wideman a lot.

However, the bottom line is they need at least one too pairing guy and realistically, probably a top pairing guy and another top 4. You can shuffle out a bottom pairing guy with one skill set for another with a different skill set and I'm not sure what you've accomplished.

i suppose i believe we missed the playoffs by 1 win the last 2 seasons... i anticipate we will be within 5 points of the playoff cutoff this year too either pro or con.

it would take some small miricles to make us a legit cup contender this year or next... but 2-3-4 years down the road i like what i see.

signing marchand makes me nervous... but i believe its going to happen.

signing pastrnak, spooner, and landing a top pairing dman is more important as far as becoming the cup contender.

cap space next year will be important. can we count on being able to move one of mcquaid or miller? it makes me nervous. the seidenberg buyout bites.

lets argue we sign shattenkirk as an ufa... he slots in top pair. now suppose c miller is ready to play. we look good for rhs but we got both mcquaid and k miller now and potentially no trade partners.

i think its not as much about shuffling skills... although thats a bonus. i really think its about cap management and team building for our next cup run down the road now.

letting connolly go was a step in the right direction. we dont want substandard players on long term deals clogging up the bottom of our roster.

fill the bottom spots with 1 year cheap deals with hungry players eager to prove themselves

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
i suppose i believe we missed the playoffs by 1 win the last 2 seasons... i anticipate we will be within 5 points of the playoff cutoff this year too either pro or con.

it would take some small miricles to make us a legit cup contender this year or next... but 2-3-4 years down the road i like what i see.

signing marchand makes me nervous... but i believe its going to happen.

signing pastrnak, spooner, and landing a top pairing dman is more important as far as becoming the cup contender.

cap space next year will be important. can we count on being able to move one of mcquaid or miller? it makes me nervous. the seidenberg buyout bites.

lets argue we sign shattenkirk as an ufa... he slots in top pair. now suppose c miller is ready to play. we look good for rhs but we got both mcquaid and k miller now and potentially no trade partners.

i think its not as much about shuffling skills... although thats a bonus. i really think its about cap management and team building for our next cup run down the road now.

letting connolly go was a step in the right direction. we dont want substandard players on long term deals clogging up the bottom of our roster.

fill the bottom spots with 1 year cheap deals with hungry players eager to prove themselves

Pick 2 out of 3 between Pasta extended, Spooner extended, and a Top 4 D-man. Because cap wise it will be hard to fit all 3. Me I take Pasta extended and the Top 4 D.

Bruins will have no issue moving McQuaid or Miller. Given the Bruins will likely protect 7 F and 3 D, and the best exposed F will probably be Hayes and Riley Nash, you'll probably lose one of them in expansion. If they really need to get rid of both via trade, it won't be a problem just don't expect much of a return. Despite where they fit onto a good team, they are both established NHL caliber D-men, right-shooting (rarer), and it's not like either are pushing 35. It's almost laughable that people think the Bruins can't give either of these guys away, and this is coming from someone who was highly critical of both players and their respective extensions.

They easily could of kept Connolly without offering him a long-term deal. I would of had no problem with them giving him the about the same 2-year deal they gave Riley Nash, and it likely would of gotten it done. Doubtful Connolly's camp was demanding a 4-5 year extension.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
If you could trade McQuaid for Iginla, which I don't think the Bruins would do, then I think that would allow you to move Spooner + for a defenseman.

I was thinking something like Spooner, Morrow, Carlo, and a 1st for Trouba

Not sure that Winnipeg wants or needs any of those pieces, but they could bring a third team into the mix if necessary to get a higher end left-handed defenseman (maybe Fowler?) Just thinking out loud...

On topic of Iginla though,

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastranak
Vatrano-Krejci-Iginla
Beleskey-Backes-Hayes

Like someone else said, Vatrano could be more effective if Krejci had a reliable veteran on the right side. The top line looks great, and the third line would be a nightmare to play against, and perhaps giving Hayes two of the best hitters on the team will make him play up a little bit more; or not be as noticeable when he doesn't.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i checked the list of 2017 ufas to see who else might be available if iginla is a no-go

i see alexander burrows as a possibility... ales hemsky... maybe even bryan bickle.

i just want jimmy hayes gone. i dont care if the new guy is a worst player, i dont want a cancer on the team. and i dont want the cap hit here next season

i think its possible all these deals are available. hayes is younger and cheaper.

i think hemsky might fit well with pastrnak/krecji

burrows has his pros and cons

bickel has experience on a winning team.

as for dmen... philly might be willing to move strait. hes a lhshot though i think. columbus probably would move gainsy but he sort of sucks.

mcquaid is worth more than either of these guys to me.

i do want a rhshot pp guy though. if colin miller cant do it, i feel we should test the waters on someone like wideman

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
i checked the list of 2017 ufas to see who else might be available if iginla is a no-go

i see alexander burrows as a possibility... ales hemsky... maybe even bryan bickle.

i just want jimmy hayes gone. i dont care if the new guy is a worst player, i dont want a cancer on the team. and i dont want the cap hit here next season

i think its possible all these deals are available. hayes is younger and cheaper.

as for dmen... philly might be willing to move strait. hes a lhshot though i think. columbus probably would move gainsy but he sort of sucks.

i do want a rhshot pp guy though. if colin miller cant do it, i feel we should test the waters on someone like wideman

While I dislike Jimmy Hayes and want him gone as much as anyone else, I don't like him purely based on his on-ice performance. There is no evidence he is a "cancer" in the Bruins locker room.

Shawn Thornton gave him a nice endorsement of his character prior to last season after the trade. Thornton has never been a guy to blow smoke up people's rear ends, calls a spade a spade.

said Thornton. “But Hayesie’s a great kid. He’s going to add a lot of character to that locker room and he’s going to be fun for you guys to talk to.â€

This Hayes is a locker room cancer stuff needs to stop, it's gotten even worse since the Vesey saga. And this is coming from someone who would love to see Hayes shipped elsewhere.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I'm not a fan of Iggy at his age and I never liked Wideman but I think both of these deals make sense. Iggy could play down with Spooner and give you more than Jimmy Hayes and Wideman can distribute the puck better than McQuaid. Most importantly like you said, both have one year left on their deals and then we have a clean slate.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I'm not a fan of Iggy at his age and I never liked Wideman but I think both of these deals make sense. Iggy could play down with Spooner and give you more than Jimmy Hayes and Wideman can distribute the puck better than McQuaid. Most importantly like you said, both have one year left on their deals and then we have a clean slate.

I don't like Wideman , but what you say is true. I'd rather go with someone younger. I don't want Iggy either.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Over Hayes? Absolutely not.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Burrows would certainly take the "bite" out of losing Hayes....:sarcasm::amazed:

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Not a massive fan of Wideman but he`s more fleet of foot than Quaider, way softer though

I'm not sure you're remembering how slow Wideman is: McQuaid would beat him handily in a race, IMO.

The last year of Dennis Wideman in a Bruins uni was the worst d-man I have ever seen: turnover machine and his name defined his shot from the point.

Hayes for Iginla - sure. Anything for Wideman? No.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure you're remembering how slow Wideman is: McQuaid would beat him handily in a race, IMO.

The last year of Dennis Wideman in a Bruins uni was the worst d-man I have ever seen: turnover machine and his name defined his shot from the point.

Hayes for Iginla - sure. Anything for Wideman? No.

You must of missed Joe Corvo back in 2012 then.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
I'm OK with Iginla coming back, so long as it is 2nd/3rd line + PP duties, move up if injuries become an issue. I want Pasta/Vatrano to see a lot of ice this year, and Hayes to see considerably less.

I have nothing but bad things to say about Dennis Wideman, so I will leave it at that.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
If they aren't going to use the cap space for fixing the D, I'm okay with Iggy for Hayes. Does Iggy want to leave?

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
If they aren't going to use the cap space for fixing the D, I'm okay with Iggy for Hayes. Does Iggy want to leave?

He doesn't. He's very happy here in Denver and has stated he has no desire to move his family, specifically his young kids.

Iginla is in the second year of a three-year deal and, citing family reasons, stated unequivocally that he's not interested in a move elsewhere. The Avalanche certainly aren't hindered by this - Iginla led the team in scoring last season with 29 goals and has another seven markers and 12 points total to start this year - but again, whatever issue is ailing the Avs, it seems to be team-wide and it seems to represent a general mediocrity, as the team has just 40 goals on the season, a total that puts them in a three-way tie for 15th.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/149709...ade-clause-as-sakic-eyes-deals-per-report.htm

Iggy's going to ride out his contract with the Av's and probably retire.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Both Iggy and Wideman have one year while left while Hayes has two and McQuaid has three. I'm pretty sure the whole point of Alberta_OReilly_Fan's proposal was about clearing space for next year.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I will put up with Wideman for one year if that means unloading the final three years of McQuaid's contract.

Same with Iginla. Get the cap space back. Hayes is deadwood.

Bottom line is that the Bruins aren't a Cup contender with our without these deals. So go get the cap space for future years. Absolutely.

That being said, I think that Jimmy Hayes has zero trade value right now.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's not like McQuaid and Hayes are exactly speedsters.

Doesn't matter, Iggy is going nowhere.

It's just the wrong direction for this team and would be the harbinger of many more struggles/years to come.

Time to mend this thing and get the missing elements enacted. Sooner the better. Reverse, wrong direction.

Nothing wrong with McQuaid unless you put him too high in the lineup, and that's the teams fault, not McQuaid's.

Don't set you players up for failure. Unless you want to....fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad