My New 2004 Entry Draft Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
In my previous mocks I included some trades and they didn't go over to well so I stuck to the order as it stands now. Most of the comments are second hand stuff I have heard although some of it is my own, so hopefully it's not to far off. Here it is...

1.Washington Capitals- Alexander Ovechkin LW The Consensus #1 pick gives the Caps the franchise player they have never really had.
2.Pittsburgh Penguins- Evgeni Malkin C Although there will be trade offers out their for this pick the Pens will sit tight and select their #1 center for the next 15 years(or once Mario retires!)
3.Chicago Blackhawks- Lauri Tukonen RW Their will be a lot of interest in this pick as teams will be looking to move up and select Barker, but the Hawks may just sit tight and select the Finnish power forward. Would look really good on Tuomo Ruutu's right side.
4.Columbus Blue Jackets- Cam Barker D Jackets will be ecstatic if Barker is still there at #4. Gives them a very good 1-2 punch for the future with Barker and Klesla.
5.Phoenix Coyotoes- Al Montoya G This is where things will get very interesting. Phoenix can go in a number of different directions with this pick but settle on the star of the U.S. gold medal junior team. LeNeveau is good but Montoya could be a future superstar goalie.
6.New York Rangers- Rostislav Olesz C Tough decision here for the Rangers, Olesz or Ladd. With a lack of talent among center prospects on broadway the Rangers go with the talented two-way Czech.
7.Florida Panthers- Andrew Ladd LW Mike Keenan may consider trading this pick for some immediate help, but with Ladd still on the board the Panthers scoop up the #1 ranked North American skater.
8.Carolina Hurricanes- A.J. Thelen D The Canes may look to make a splash as the host team for the draft, but if they are unable to move up they go with the big two-way defenceman.
9.Mighty Ducks of Anahiem- Andrej Meszaros D Diasapointed to miss out on Thelen the Ducks have to decide between a forward such as Picard or Stafford or another defenceman. In the end they go with Meszaros who arguably has the most offensive potential among defencemen in this draft.
10.Atlanta Thrashers- Drew Stafford RW Looking to add some size and character to his forward prospects Waddell selects the gritty two-way winger from the University of North Dakota.
11.Los Angeles Kings- Marek Schwarz G The Kings are very happy to see Schwarz still on the board. Gives them a potential franchise player between the pipes.
12.Minnesota Wild- Alexandre Picard LW A tough decision here for the wild. Do they go with the gritty two-way player in Picard, the speedy sniper in Radulov, or the extremelt talented playmaker in Scremp. In the end they go with Picard who fits into their system a little better.
13.Buffalo Sabres- Robbie Scremp C The Sabres may consider a defenceman with this pick but with Schremp still available and the uncertainty over Tim Connolly's health they pick up one of the most talented players in the draft.
14.Edmonton Oilers- Alexander Radulov RW A great skater, Radulov gives the Oilers a potential gamebreaker who can put the puck in the net, something this franchise desperately needs/
15.Nashville Predators- Dave Bolland C A toss up here between Bolland or Chipchura the Preds who already have many Chipchura like players go with the goal scoring center in Bolland.
16.New York Islanders- Kyle Chipchura C The Isles get their big physical centerman who is a pretty safe pick. Best case he develops into a 1st or 2nd line player and at worst he is a very good checker who can chip in offensively.
17.St. Louis Blues- Wojtech Wolski LW With a lot of the Blues big guns up front gettin up there in age or on the trade block they draft the skilled Wolski to help the offense in a couple years.
18.Montreal Canadiens- Bruce Graham C A bit of a reach this early but with a need for a big 2-way center the Habs snap up this gigantic prospect. The Habs may be able to trade down from this spot to pick up an extra pick and still grab Graham later in round 1.
19.Calgary Flames- Lauri Korpikoski LW Fresh off their run to the Stanley Cup Finals the Flames grab the speedy skillful Korpikoski. He can put the puck in the net and should fit in well in the Flames up tempo puck pursuit type of game.
20.Dallas Stars- Ladislav Smid D Tough choice here between Smid, Green and Valabik but the Stars go with the safer pick of the 3. Smid is a solid 2-way defender who will fit in well in Dallas in the future.
21.Colorado Avalanche- Mike Green D Lacking top end defence prospects the Avs pick up a Mike Green a smaller version of Rob Blake.
22.New Jersey Devils- Johan Fransson D The Devils go the two-way Swedish defender. Gives them some much needed defensive depth.
23.Ottawa Senators- Boris Valabik D With the success the Sens have had with Zdeno Chara they go with the Chara clone Boris Valabik. May never reach the same level as Chara but the Sens hope that being able to learn from his countryman will push Valabik close to that level.
24.New York Rangers- Wes O'Neil D With a plethora of 2nd round picks the Rangers may try and move up from this spot but if they stay put they select the big, mobile defender who drops because of questions over his hockey sense.
25.Edmonton Oilers- Blake Wheeler RW With their 2nd 1st rounder the Oilers consider drafting a goalie like Dubnyk but decide to roll the dice with the big RW who skates well and can finish. The Oilers hope he turns into the player Brad Isbister was supposed to be for them.
26.Vancouver Canucks- Devan Dubnyk G Dave Nonis may try and move up and put his stamp on this team but if he is unable to get in the top 10 expect them to improve the organizations goalie depth and select the big Western league goalie.
27.Washington Capitals- Adam Pineault RW The Caps need defence prospects and might package their 2 late 1st rounders to select one of the higher rated ones but if they can't swing a deal they may roll the dice on Pineault, one of the more highly rated prospects coming into the season. The Caps hope this year was just a blip on the radar screen.
28.San Jose Sharks- Viktor Alexandrov RW With a very good young team in San Jose the Sharks can attempt to hit a homerun with Alexandrov. He could end up being a player taken late in the first round who 5 years from now is one of the top players from the draft much like Martin Havlat was.
29.Washington Capitals- Jeff Schultz D Provide they don't move up to select one of the top D in this draft the Caps go with Schultz a good defensive dman with size and a good shot.
30.Tampa Bay Lightning- Petteri Nokelainen C They think long and hard about one of the top 2 goalie prospects remaining(Schneider and Shantz) but opt to go with the dependable Nokelainen.

Well there is my latest mock effort any comments and/or concerns with your teams picks would be appreciated.

thestonedkoala

Personally and I think you hit the nail on the head with your description of Picard, that the Wild don't need anymore two way players and need another sniper

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
I agree that the Wild need another sniper but I think that Picard, who can also put the puck in the net, is a better pick for the Wild than Radulove but you never no.

thestonedkoala

The problem is the Wild have a lot of good two way players (Foy, Irmen, Wanvig, Wallin, Veilleux, Dupuis, Koivu) and only two good scorers (O'Sullivan, Gaborik). We need another pure-flat out fast sniper...

Other problems, Phoenix could and possibily will take a goalie in the second round if Shantz, Schneider, or Dubnyk drop.

Colorado has virtually NO offensive prospects. They go with offense.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
arrgh. graham .. when korpikoski,valabik and green are still on the board ...
:cry:
we need defensemen 1st
big forward 2nd !
if the habs are really high on graham they should trade down!

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
King Henry I said:
I love the pick of Chippy for the Isles, but I would be surprised to see them pass on Wolski.

no thanks on Chipchura at all. Just what we need a projected third liner...Sure minimal risk, but minimal reward on him. He disappeared for half the season this year....I will be very annoyed if he is their pick.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The Coyotes taking Montoya with the #5 is just as likely as the Capitals taking Malkin with the #1. There have been a few rumors stating that it could happen, but we all know it won't. The only reason the Montoya-to-Phoenix thing started is because Phoenix has a large Hispanic (mostly Mexican) population and Alvaro is part Cuban. This doesn't hold any water in my eyes, but whatever.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the read.

IMO, the Isles are pretty solid at center with Yashin, Peca, Scatchard, Kvasha and Mapletoft.

If I were to select, of the players available, I'd tend to go with Wolski. We need a skilled lw.

Valabik is interesting, but I believe in drafting skill in the first few rounds (depending on how deep the draft is).

Focus on the tough, character players in the lower rounds.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Kryoptix said:
:cry:
we need defensemen 1st
big forward 2nd !

I agree which I said in my post that if the habs are going to take Graham they will most likely trade down into the mid 20's to take him.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Hey, I like what the Oil get. I'm iffy on the Oilers taking Radulov though, besides being exactly what they need, because I could see them being afraid of a possible big transfer fee and having lose him to the Russian leagues. Both guy's I like though.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Jamie said:
Hey, I like what the Oil get. I'm iffy on the Oilers taking Radulov though, besides being exactly what they need, because I could see them being afraid of a possible big transfer fee and having lose him to the Russian leagues. Both guy's I like though.

I never thought of that being an issue but you are right and something like that may come into play. Radulov just seems like the kind of player the Oil need

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
PhoPhan said:
The Coyotes taking Montoya with the #5 is just as likely as the Capitals taking Malkin with the #1. There have been a few rumors stating that it could happen, but we all know it won't. The only reason the Montoya-to-Phoenix thing started is because Phoenix has a large Hispanic (mostly Mexican) population and Alvaro is part Cuban. This doesn't hold any water in my eyes, but whatever.

I don't think it is that unlikely that Phoenix will take a goalie. The way I see it they have 3 ways they could go with the pick. Take a future #1 goalie with superstar potential like Montoya or even Schwarz. They could also take Ladd, but in my opinion he will be a 2nd liner at best in the NHL. The third option would be Olesz whom has a higher upside than Ladd but has some injury concerns. If you ask me I would take a potential superstar at arguably the most important position over a 2nd line player and a possible #1 center with injury concerns. Maybe that's just me though.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
theredmile said:
I don't think it is that unlikely that Phoenix will take a goalie. The way I see it they have 3 ways they could go with the pick. Take a future #1 goalie with superstar potential like Montoya or even Schwarz. They could also take Ladd, but in my opinion he will be a 2nd liner at best in the NHL. The third option would be Olesz whom has a higher upside than Ladd but has some injury concerns. If you ask me I would take a potential superstar at arguably the most important position over a 2nd line player and a possible #1 center with injury concerns. Maybe that's just me though.

They have much more pressing needs than goalie. They could use some depth there, but they have a top guy in David LeNeveu. LeNeveu *can* turn into a number one goalie, and all signs point to him doing so. Derek Morris or Paul Mara both *could* turn into a number one defenseman, and David Tanabe and Keith Ballard are both looking pretty stellar as well. That being said, they have no one who could be a pure first line forward in this league, outside of Nagy or Doan. I don't doubt they try to get Dubnyk with the 35th pick, but with the 5th, it will be one of Tukonen, Olesz, Ladd or Radulov.

Alouette_19

Jul 21, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

we need defensemen 1st
big forward 2nd !

I agree with that...

The Habs really need a defenceman and the best one for the Habs should be Thelen but he will be gone....same thing for Meszaros....

If the Habs doesn't pick a defenceman they will take the speedy Korpikoski...or two-way forward Chipchura(If possible :D )

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Kvashinator12 said:
no thanks on Chipchura at all. Just what we need a projected third liner...Sure minimal risk, but minimal reward on him. He disappeared for half the season this year....I will be very annoyed if he is their pick.

The reason Chipchura "disappeared for half the season was beacause he had a pulled groin. I wouldn't say he is necessarily projected as a third liner, rather that may be the worst case scenario for him. Has the potential to turn into a solid top six forward in my opinion. He is a very good playmaker, although he lacks some finishing ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad