My Mock First Round (with mock annotations)

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
It was tougher than I thought it would be. I hope you may enjoy it, and will be kind with your comments (if any). Cheers!

please note: I have slotted Edmonton in as the #30 pick, as I think they will win it all this year. No offense is intended to either of Carolina's fans, they have a good team. Ish.

1 - St. Louis Blues – Phil Kessel, C

They need a dynamic scorer to put bums in seats. Might as well start with Phil the Thrill.

2 - Pittsburgh Penguins - Erik Johnson, D

Fortuitously, and maybe through sending a late round pick to St. Louis, the Pens get the guy they will desperately need a few years from now.

3 - Chicago Blackhawks - Jordan Staal, C

A consolation prize. Drafting 3rd for the second time in three years, means you get
a safe bet instead of a sure thing.

4 - Washington Capitals - Jonathan Toews, C/RW

They’ll probably think about a playmaker to go with Alex the Great, but I think ultimately that Toews is too good for them to pass up. If the Caps ever compete again, he’ll have a lot to do with it.

5 - Boston Bruins – Derrick Brassard, C

Um. I guess since he’s French Canadian, they might think he’ll have a natural rapport with Bergeron? I dunno. Maybe.

6 - Columbus Blue Jackets – Nicklas Backstrom, C

I agonized over this one. I truly did. Then I looked deep into my heart and pulled his name out of a hat.

No, I think he’s the guy they might have their heart set on. He’ll feed Zherdev and Nash, and help them score a bunch a few years from now. Right around the time that Nash becomes a Free Agent.

7 - New York Islanders – Chris Stewart, RW

I’m going off the board here, of course. I think he may have intangibles that Milbury (or whoever runs the NYI draft, now that the reins have been wrested free from Crazy Mike; not unlike the way you might have taken the TV remote from your Granddad) has a perceived need of. On the other hand, I won’t be entirely shocked if Stewart to the bottom of the first round. I like him though; I think he’s the Real Thing.

8 - Phoenix Coyotes – Jiri Tlusty, LW

I think the Coyotes have drafted badly in the past few decades. I don’t like Tlusty, he's neither fish nor fowl, and that’s why I think PHX will take him. They may never make the playoffs again.

9 - Minnesota Wild – Peter Mueller, C

It was a toss-up between him and Okposo. Both good players, both from Minnesota. Ultimately, I figure Riseborough will go with a big, two-way center.

10 - Florida Panthers – Bryan Little, C

A Keenan crap-shoot. Possibly his last draft ever and maybe he’ll go for a nice playmaker to offset his assassins (i.e. Horton, Stewart, and McArdle)?

11 - LA Kings – Michael Frolik, RW

The tradition continues. A juicy forward plummets, and LA is there with open arms. Damn, this team might have a stacked forward corps a few years from now. I’m guessing they’ll agonize over not taking a defenseman, but since this draft year is not exactly stacked with blueliners, Lombardi will be able to justify this pick to himself and sleep soundly at night.

12 - Atlanta Thrashers – James Sheppard, LW

I reckon they’ll be looking for forward depth, and in my view he’ll be the best one still on the board.

13 - Toronto Maple Leafs – Bobby Sanguinetti, D

It won’t be a popular pick with Leaf fans (I am hoping for Sheppard myself, but we probably won’t get anybody halfway decent. It sucks that the Leafs both failed to make the playoffs AND ruined their chances of drafting anybody other than a project. We probably won’t even get Sanguinetti. Tabernouche!), but Fergie knows he’ll be fired at the end of the season no matter what he does, and I think he’ll re-stock the blueline with the Best Player Available.

14 - Vancouver Canucks – Kyle Okposo, RW

Unless they take a defenseman. Or a goaltender. But they wouldn’t take a goalie, because that would be crazy. Wouldn’t it??? I am thinking that Okposo will fall due to his playing in the USHL, which I don’t know much about, but the caliber of competition may not be up to snuff. If he kicks butt in the NCAA next year, then I will happily be proven wrong. I’ll probably be wrong anyway, my mock drafts are always disastrously off-target. Knickers.

15 - Tampa Bay Lightning – Jonathan Bernier, G

Well, at least one goalie has to go in the first round, and I think Tampa really needs to look at scoring a netminder at some point. I realize he won’t be ready for 4 or 5 years, but sod it. I’m calling Bernier here.

16 - Montreal Canadiens – Ivan Vishnevsky, D

He played for Rouyn-Noranda this year, so the absence of a IIHF transfer agreement with the Russian mafia shouldn’t prevent this (allegedly) skilled offensive defenseman from getting signed and cracking the Bulldogs roster a few years from now. And I figured that the Habs need to restock the blueline, and there are too many question marks around Wishart, Nigel Williams and Mitera.

17 - Colorado Avalanche – Patrick Berglund, C

Maybe he’ll remind Denverites of a successful Swedish center from years ago. Then again, maybe he won’t.

18 - Anaheim Mighty Ducks – Nigel Williams, D

Okay, this is a purely random guess. I figured that since Burke passed on Jack Johnson last year, this time he might go with a large U.S.-born defenceman who has some potential. I realize Williams is a huge project, and a lot of people think he may fall out of the first round altogether. But I’ll be very pleased with myself if I’m right about Burke taking him.

19 - San Jose Sharks – Ty Wishart, D

The Sharks traditionally like WHL guys, and they might be in the market to add a defenceman to the prospect pool. Plus, most of the guys I know anything about will be gone by this point.

20 - New York Rangers – Ben Maxwell, C

Maybe he’ll work out well for them. I gather that most of the A-level depth is gone by now, and some of the B-level types are also thin on the ground. But this guy has skills.

21 - Philadelphia Flyers – Ryan White, C

Well, he seems like the kind of dude that Clarke likes. Actually, I like this guy too, but the consensus seems to be that he’s a pure grinder at the NHL level.

22 - Washington Capitals (from Nashville) – Joe Ryan, D

Since it’s their second first-rounder, I assume they’ll take a flyer on D.

23 - Buffalo Sabres – Mark Mitera, D

I thought he played well at the WJC, and the Sabres need to pick up some D. 2+2= …. 5?

24 - New Jersey Devils – Nick Foligno, LW

NJ has the track record of taking kids with an NHL pedigree. They also have a track record of going off the board and making some madcap selections (Adrian Foster, step on up!) so this might make sense.

25 - Calgary Flames – Cory Emmerton, C

Why not?

26 - St. Louis Blues (from Carolina) – Mike Forney, LW

With their 2nd first rounder, they may take on a Low-Risk, High-Return project.

27 - Dallas Stars – Jesse Joensuu, RW

My theory is: Dave Tippett has a Finnish granny. And that Finnish players have established themselves well in the big D.

28 - Ottawa Senators – Francois Bouchard, LW

Muckler goes off the board yet again. And probably snags a gem. Grrrrr.

29 - Detroit Red Wings – Chris Summers, D

I have no idea, but what the heck.

30 - Minnesota Wild (from Edmonton) – David Fischer, D

He’s from Minnesota as well, and it sounds like he might have good (albeit rough) tools: speed and size, and the Mr. Hockey award to boot. So, why not?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I'm sorry you put so much time into this... if you know what I mean.

btw-I'll eat a skate if the Bruins draft Brassard.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Colt.45Orr said:
I'm sorry you put so much time into this... if you know what I mean.

btw-I'll eat a skate if the Bruins draft Brassard.
Ditto... especially if Backstrom's still on the board.

...am I the only one who's noticed that the a lot of the mock drafters have the Bruins doing something really, really stupid with their #5 pick, rather than taking Backstrom?

I guarantee you that if Backstrom's on the board when the Bruins are picking, he'll be the guy.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Your top 15 is one of the least thoughtful I've seen so far this year.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
PhoPhan said:
Your top 15 is one of the least thoughtful I've seen so far this year.
:shakehead
I actually put a fair amount of thought into it, assessing team needs, past tendencies, etc.

If you didn't like it, I don't care.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
badrobot101 said:
I actually put a fair amount of thought into it, assessing team needs, past tendencies, etc.

If you didn't like it, I don't care.

Thanks for the mock draft, just a couple questions to clarify. If assessing team needs and past tendencies, why would:

- Chicago draft Staal when they haven't drafted anyone from the OHL in the first round in years?
- Washington draft Toews when last year was the first time in many years they drafted someone playing in a US league?
- While I doubt Backstrom would still be available by 6 and think Columbus SHOULD take him if he's available, Columbus has drafted from the CHL in 5 of the 6 years since its inception. And that was for a Russian, not a Swede. In fact, the only Swede taken by Columbus in the past four years has been Joakim Lindstrom.

Those are just a few things in the top 6 that I thought you might clarify. I'm not one of those who says "there's no chance..." but I don't see how the scope of team need + draft tendency match up with a couple of your picks?

Safir*

If you can't write any decent profiles of the players, why did you even try. Just put out a mock without any profiles, just the names. You can't be surprised by the reactions of the some poster with these quotes:

- "I dunno. Maybe"

- "He’ll feed Zherdev and Nash, and help them score a bunch a few years from now": In reference to Bäckstrom. Do you know that Backstrom is one of the most NHL ready players in the draft?

- "I think the Coyotes have drafted badly in the past few decades. I don’t like Tlusty, he's neither fish nor fowl, and that’s why I think PHX will take him. They may never make the playoffs again." FYI two decades ago the team was called the Jets.

- I’ll probably be wrong anyway, my mock drafts are always disastrously off-target. Knickers.

You gave the perfect summary later on "I don't care."

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
badrobot101 said:
It was tougher than I thought it would be. I hope you may enjoy it, and will be kind with your comments (if any). Cheers!

please note: I have slotted Edmonton in as the #30 pick, as I think they will win it all this year. No offense is intended to either of Carolina's fans, they have a good team. Ish.

1 - St. Louis Blues – Phil Kessel, C

They need a dynamic scorer to put bums in seats. Might as well start with Phil the Thrill.

2 - Pittsburgh Penguins - Erik Johnson, D

Fortuitously, and maybe through sending a late round pick to St. Louis, the Pens get the guy they will desperately need a few years from now.

3 - Chicago Blackhawks - Jordan Staal, C

A consolation prize. Drafting 3rd for the second time in three years, means you get
a safe bet instead of a sure thing.

4 - Washington Capitals - Jonathan Toews, C/RW

They’ll probably think about a playmaker to go with Alex the Great, but I think ultimately that Toews is too good for them to pass up. If the Caps ever compete again, he’ll have a lot to do with it.

Um. I guess since he’s French Canadian, they might think he’ll have a natural rapport with Bergeron? I dunno. Maybe.

6 - Columbus Blue Jackets – Nicklas Backstrom, C

I agonized over this one. I truly did. Then I looked deep into my heart and pulled his name out of a hat.

No, I think he’s the guy they might have their heart set on. He’ll feed Zherdev and Nash, and help them score a bunch a few years from now. Right around the time that Nash becomes a Free Agent.

7 - New York Islanders – Chris Stewart, RW

I’m going off the board here, of course. I think he may have intangibles that Milbury (or whoever runs the NYI draft, now that the reins have been wrested free from Crazy Mike; not unlike the way you might have taken the TV remote from your Granddad) has a perceived need of. On the other hand, I won’t be entirely shocked if Stewart to the bottom of the first round. I like him though; I think he’s the Real Thing.

8 - Phoenix Coyotes – Jiri Tlusty, LW

I think the Coyotes have drafted badly in the past few decades. I don’t like Tlusty, he's neither fish nor fowl, and that’s why I think PHX will take him. They may never make the playoffs again.

9 - Minnesota Wild – Peter Mueller, C

It was a toss-up between him and Okposo. Both good players, both from Minnesota. Ultimately, I figure Riseborough will go with a big, two-way center.

10 - Florida Panthers – Bryan Little, C

A Keenan crap-shoot. Possibly his last draft ever and maybe he’ll go for a nice playmaker to offset his assassins (i.e. Horton, Stewart, and McArdle)?

11 - LA Kings – Michael Frolik, RW

The tradition continues. A juicy forward plummets, and LA is there with open arms. Damn, this team might have a stacked forward corps a few years from now. I’m guessing they’ll agonize over not taking a defenseman, but since this draft year is not exactly stacked with blueliners, Lombardi will be able to justify this pick to himself and sleep soundly at night.

12 - Atlanta Thrashers – James Sheppard, LW

I reckon they’ll be looking for forward depth, and in my view he’ll be the best one still on the board.

13 - Toronto Maple Leafs – Bobby Sanguinetti, D

It won’t be a popular pick with Leaf fans (I am hoping for Sheppard myself, but we probably won’t get anybody halfway decent. It sucks that the Leafs both failed to make the playoffs AND ruined their chances of drafting anybody other than a project. We probably won’t even get Sanguinetti. Tabernouche!), but Fergie knows he’ll be fired at the end of the season no matter what he does, and I think he’ll re-stock the blueline with the Best Player Available.

14 - Vancouver Canucks – Kyle Okposo, RW

Unless they take a defenseman. Or a goaltender. But they wouldn’t take a goalie, because that would be crazy. Wouldn’t it??? I am thinking that Okposo will fall due to his playing in the USHL, which I don’t know much about, but the caliber of competition may not be up to snuff. If he kicks butt in the NCAA next year, then I will happily be proven wrong. I’ll probably be wrong anyway, my mock drafts are always disastrously off-target. Knickers.

15 - Tampa Bay Lightning – Jonathan Bernier, G

Well, at least one goalie has to go in the first round, and I think Tampa really needs to look at scoring a netminder at some point. I realize he won’t be ready for 4 or 5 years, but sod it. I’m calling Bernier here.

16 - Montreal Canadiens – Ivan Vishnevsky, D

He played for Rouyn-Noranda this year, so the absence of a IIHF transfer agreement with the Russian mafia shouldn’t prevent this (allegedly) skilled offensive defenseman from getting signed and cracking the Bulldogs roster a few years from now. And I figured that the Habs need to restock the blueline, and there are too many question marks around Wishart, Nigel Williams and Mitera.

17 - Colorado Avalanche – Patrick Berglund, C

Maybe he’ll remind Denverites of a successful Swedish center from years ago. Then again, maybe he won’t.

18 - Anaheim Mighty Ducks – Nigel Williams, D

Okay, this is a purely random guess. I figured that since Burke passed on Jack Johnson last year, this time he might go with a large U.S.-born defenceman who has some potential. I realize Williams is a huge project, and a lot of people think he may fall out of the first round altogether. But I’ll be very pleased with myself if I’m right about Burke taking him.

19 - San Jose Sharks – Ty Wishart, D

The Sharks traditionally like WHL guys, and they might be in the market to add a defenceman to the prospect pool. Plus, most of the guys I know anything about will be gone by this point.

20 - New York Rangers – Ben Maxwell, C

Maybe he’ll work out well for them. I gather that most of the A-level depth is gone by now, and some of the B-level types are also thin on the ground. But this guy has skills.

21 - Philadelphia Flyers – Ryan White, C

Well, he seems like the kind of dude that Clarke likes. Actually, I like this guy too, but the consensus seems to be that he’s a pure grinder at the NHL level.

22 - Washington Capitals (from Nashville) – Joe Ryan, D

Since it’s their second first-rounder, I assume they’ll take a flyer on D.

23 - Buffalo Sabres – Mark Mitera, D

I thought he played well at the WJC, and the Sabres need to pick up some D. 2+2= …. 5?

24 - New Jersey Devils – Nick Foligno, LW

NJ has the track record of taking kids with an NHL pedigree. They also have a track record of going off the board and making some madcap selections (Adrian Foster, step on up!) so this might make sense.

Why not?

26 - St. Louis Blues (from Carolina) – Mike Forney, LW

With their 2nd first rounder, they may take on a Low-Risk, High-Return project.

27 - Dallas Stars – Jesse Joensuu, RW

My theory is: Dave Tippett has a Finnish granny. And that Finnish players have established themselves well in the big D.

28 - Ottawa Senators – Francois Bouchard, LW

Muckler goes off the board yet again. And probably snags a gem. Grrrrr.

29 - Detroit Red Wings – Chris Summers, D

I have no idea, but what the heck.

30 - Minnesota Wild (from Edmonton) – David Fischer, D

He’s from Minnesota as well, and it sounds like he might have good (albeit rough) tools: speed and size, and the Mr. Hockey award to boot. So, why not?

The Leafs will not draft Sanguinetti over Okposo - period.

The Leafs have an immense amount of young talent at the defensive position with the likes of Colaiacovo, Harrison, Bell, Kronwall, Wozniewski, White, Dougherty if he ever decides to play... the one thing they lack in their organization is finishing wingers (and wingers in general.) They are more than set for centremen, with the likes of Steen, Stajan, and Wellwood. The only wingers they have with a finishing touch are Robbie Earl and Aleksander Suglobov, and theyre not ready for a little while.

Much in the same vibe, if the Leafs draft Sanguinetti over Okposo, I'll eat TWO skates... and a blocker to wash it down.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i stopped reading this when i saw you have chris stewart go to the Islanders:P

Oceanic39*

Tampa likes big goalies. Very big goalies.

If they take a goalie at 15, there's a big goalie that will be available. They'll take him.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
Holy crap :eek:

Give the guy credit... He thought he was selecting an allright draft line up... This kind of trash talk after his selections... makes a guy not want to pull any mock draft... What gives? :dunno:

I know it's not perfect... but you did good man...
And to the others... he's getting his head thinking about the prospects... give the guy a BIT of credit huh?

Baun21

May 19, 2003
Southwestern Ontario
Visit site
TribalPhoenix said:
The Leafs will not draft Sanguinetti over Okposo - period.

The Leafs have an immense amount of young talent at the defensive position with the likes of Colaiacovo, Harrison, Bell, Kronwall, Wozniewski, White, Dougherty if he ever decides to play... the one thing they lack in their organization is finishing wingers (and wingers in general.) They are more than set for centremen, with the likes of Steen, Stajan, and Wellwood. The only wingers they have with a finishing touch are Robbie Earl and Aleksander Suglobov, and theyre not ready for a little while.

Much in the same vibe, if the Leafs draft Sanguinetti over Okposo, I'll eat TWO skates... and a blocker to wash it down.

What he said

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
no way will the Rangers take Ben Maxwell

that's what I would say if I were full of myself and thought I knew exactly what my team wants

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
badrobot101 said:

I could tell you did when I read this:

And...

Okay, this is a purely random guess

and..

and...

Why not?

I mean who can argue with this?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:
I could tell you did when I read this:

And...

Okay, this is a purely random guess

and..

and...

Why not?

I mean who can argue with this?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :towel:

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Steadfast said:
I thought some of the comments were pretty funny actually. Some of you need to chill.
If the Bruins make their 1st pick from the Q, I think it will be Sheppard. Okposo way too low. :dunno:
;) Thanks for the mock draft. It is always fun to see what people are thinking. :handclap:

hossua34

Mutt
Apr 7, 2003
Irvine, CA
Steadfast said:
I thought some of the comments were pretty funny actually. Some of you need to chill.

Well said. Some of you posters talk like you're seasoned NHL GMs, instead of people who just spend too much time at their computers. Lay off the guy and get a life.

KH1

I might actually cry if the Isles take Stewart at #7.

An important note is that Tony Feltrin is running the Islanders draft this season. He's the guy who works very closely with European scout Ryan Jankowski and over the past 4 seasons has picked very safe bets who are hard working players and will have a spot in the NHL in one capacity or another (Bergenheim, Colliton, Nokelainen, Comeau, O'Marra, etc.) The odds of him taking a huge gamble like Stewart to me seem very slim.

The name to watch for with the Isles this year at #7 is Jiri Tlusty, IMO.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
hossua34 said:
Well said. Some of you posters talk like you're seasoned NHL GMs, instead of people who just spend too much time at their computers. Lay off the guy and get a life.

You know what? No. By putting something you come up with like this into a very public forum such as Hockey's Future, you immediately subject yourself to criticism. If you're unprepared for it, don't post. Plain and simple. If someone does something well, they deserve praise. If they do something poorly, they deserve criticism. Blind adulation for every single thing, regardless of quality, breeds no progress whatsoever.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
badrobot101, thanks for the mock draft itself and the time and effort into making this mock draft, the Entry Draft never ever goes the way the rankings say it should go. I do agree with King's Pawns comments though

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
PhoPhan said:
You know what? No. By putting something you come up with like this into a very public forum such as Hockey's Future, you immediately subject yourself to criticism. If you're unprepared for it, don't post. Plain and simple. If someone does something well, they deserve praise. If they do something poorly, they deserve criticism. Blind adulation for every single thing, regardless of quality, breeds no progress whatsoever.

Well said. I wish that line of thinking was embedded in every mod! Everyone should be reminded that this isnt some hack ESPN board once in a while.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
badrobot101 said:

I highly doubt they'd make a pick based on that.

Bergeron already has great rapport with Sturm and Boyes (and even if they want to break that up, I think the fact that a German and Anglo-Canadian worked well with him tells you that they don't need a French-Canadian to get Bergeron to play well).

Of all the factors going into making that selection I'd have to put that really close to the bottom. I'd rather see Mueller, Backstrom or Okposo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad