My Mock Draft.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Nice first post....:shakehead
But the ONE russian defenseman isnt a draft pick of the oilers, and others such as Chorney, Gilbert, Greene, Smid and Petry and solid prospects. Maybe next time you decide to post something you could consult your good friend google and get some info first.

I like Greene and I'm not yet sold on Smid. Since the 90's can you name me a single #1 defenseman which Edmonton has drafted? Yeah sure some teams have to pay up so that they can actually go out and get it, but they've got it or had it. Edmonton hasn't had it and isn't in desperate need of drafting forwards right now. They've got a handfull of underacheivers who's worth will seriously plummet if they don't get back to where they were in the next season. If Edmonton needs a guy to put pucks in the net right now it's going to be from a first round draft pick this year. Angelo Espisito will most likely be available to Edmonton when they get the 6th pick, and I seriously hope that they stay away from him and draft a defenseman instead. Sure he isn't going to be an all-star defenseman, but I'll put my money on top four or better.

Since it costs just under 95 cents american for a Canadian dollar right now, Lowe has stated that he isn't going to be shy about spending money on UFAs in the offseason and if that's so then they can go out and spend more than needed on a guy who they know will put the puck in the net. They need to grab at least one quality defenseman as well. They'll have 12-14 million to play around with in the off season, so well see what happens.

Paul Kariya would look great in an Oilers uniform. If Edmonton doesn't want to re-sign Sykora(who was great in the first half last year) they could go out and spend a bit more on Kariya. I can't imagine Drury or Briere signing with Edmonton, but those are the guys Edmonton needs to go after.

Look at the guys that people can't wait to chase after in terms of defensemen who are unrestricted free agents this summer. You can't compare these guys to pronger or lidstrom and they're all going to be demanding 5-7 million a year, and they're going to get it. That's why Edmonton needs to draft a defenseman.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This is the worst mock for Phoenix I've seen yet.

Check this out...
"We have two first-round picks and need goal scorers" - Wayne Gretzky
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=387425

You didn't give us any goalscorers.

What has Pheonix drafted since they've been there which has worked well for them? Don't say Shane Doan, because with the numbers he's put up over his career I say he wouldn't be able to hold up a position on the 2nd line on a lot of teams. When Dallas payed a first rounder in the Naggy trade I laughed so hard that it hurt. I'm laughing again.

Poor Pheonix. I hope something good happens to them this year.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Here is my mock draft:

1) Chicago: Kane - C
Too much of a sure thing (in a draft of many question marks) to pass up.

2) Philadelphia: Turris - C
The guy they wanted all along. Chicago might try trading down knowing this.

3) Phoenix: Gagner - C
They need a solid prospect who will all but for sure make the NHL.

4) Los Angeles: vanRiemsdyck - LW
He has size, speed and the hands to play alongside the many NHL prospects the Kings already have.

5) Washington: Voracek - RW
More scoring for the Caps.

6) Edmonton: Esposito - C
Even though there many be higher ranked players still available I think dreams of another Gretzky looms large in their heads. If there is a kid in this draft that can turn out to be a franchise player - it is this kid.

7) Columbus: Couture - C
Hoping to nab Esposito they settle for a lesser skiled Couture; but less of a gamble.

8) Boston: Sutter - C
I think the bloodlines, combined with the skill, will be too hard for the Bruins to pass by this player.

9) St. Louis: Alzner - D
I actually think that the Blues will trade this pick but if they don't they are high on Alzner because of his steadyness. Cherepanov, if still available (a player I think will drop hugely in this draft), could be a player they take a flyer on too.

10) Florida: Hamill - C
Small but a scorer - something the Panthers need now and in the future.

11) Carolina: Petrecki - D
Time to restock the defensive end and this behemoth would make a great addition to any future blueline.

12) Montreal: Plante - D
Defensive cupboards are bare on the farm. Montreal is high on Petrecki but I think they will miss out on him and settle for Plante - another big defensive boy.

13) Toronto: Gillies - C
Again it is a case of skill and bloodlines that the Maple Leafs will find it hard to pass this guy up - if he is still around. Very consistant player.

14) Colorado: Moller - RW
Heavily scouted my the Avs this RW will continue to add speed and skill to an already high octane offense.

15) Edmonton: Mayorov - LW
IMO this kid is a huge risk BUT with three picks in the first round I believe Edmonton will take the risk - he could be another Pavel Bure.

16) Anaheim: Repik - RW
With the amount of prospects already in the pipeline I think Burke would have liked to take Mayorov (or maybe take a flyer at Cherepanov if still available) but will have to settle in for Repik - a guy Burkie knows all too well.

17) New York Rangers: Shattenkirk - D
A very safe pick from their own backyard.

18) Calgary: Cherepanov - RW
Like I have said above, I think this kid will fall like a rock. Attitude problems and lack of heart will overshadow any skill he might possess. But at this spot Calgary would be dumb not to take a gamble on him.

19) Minnesota: Blum - D
A typical Wild pick: defensively sound with the ability to put points up.

20) Pittsburg: Eller - LW
Would look great alongside either Crosby or Malkin.

21) Phoenix: Ellerby - D
Like many teams this year, it is time to restock on the back end. While many lists have him ranked higher there are questions surrounding his ability to "put it all together". He is a big guy, wiht a hard shot but doesn't seem to score. I think he will fall down to the low 20's.

22) Montreal: Veilleux - C

Has good hands, good size and has shown to be able to score. Plus, he's from La Belle Province.

23) Philadelphia: O'Brien - C
One of the youngest players in the draft the Flyers will be patient with his development as they will be needing some more center's in the near future.

24) St. Louis: McDonagh - D
The Blues were impressed by this kid when they tested him. Even though they have another later pick they won't want to risk losing him to another team: namely the Canucks. He is as close to a can't miss as they come in this draft. Not going to be a star but just a nice quiet consistant d-man.

25) Vancouver: Backlund - C
Many think he won't be available at this spot but if he is Backlund is the future center they will be needing in a couple of years. I think the Canucks will try to move up high in the draft to get a crack at Esposito or Couture OR try to get a mid pick to try and land Repik.

26) St. Louis: Gistedt - G
The Blues will go off the board with their 3rd first round pick to add some depth to their future goalie pipeline.

27) Detroit: Maclean - LW
Detroit will be very happy if he is still around at this spot and will fit in nicely with the talent they already have.

28) Washington: Pacioretty - LW
A bit of a drop for him but will eventually kill penatlies for a future powerhouse in Washington.

29) Ottawa: Sweatt - LW
Many have him going higher but I don't see it. He can skate that is for sure but I think he will be a low first rounder and maybe slide into the 2nd.

30) Edmonton: Gratchev - LW
With their 3rd pick in the first round Edmonton will grab this kid in a heartbeat - lots of speed, great hands and one of the oldest players in the draft.

As for Hickey, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Katic, Hoeffel and Negrin...I think they will drop into the 2nd round due to the fact that this is a draft full of potential. It isn't a great draft (in the way of sure fire players) but it is full of players who have some great upside potential to them and thus teams will take flyers on some, previously, lower rated players.
I don't like the Oilers draft here. The Oilers will take Alzner over Esposito. They've been raving about him. If they hake a Russian at #15, it will be Cherry if he's still available. I'm not impressed with this mock at all.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
That may be the worst mock I've ever seen. Ellerby and Cherepanov are not falling that far. Alzner won't make it past Columbus if he's the best on the table at that point. If Phoenix takes Gagner that high, they're moronic. I really have no clue what could possess you to put that mock draft together....

theoil

Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
I like Greene and I'm not yet sold on Smid. Since the 90's can you name me a single #1 defenseman which Edmonton has drafted? Yeah sure some teams have to pay up so that they can actually go out and get it, but they've got it or had it. Edmonton hasn't had it and isn't in desperate need of drafting forwards right now. They've got a handfull of underacheivers who's worth will seriously plummet if they don't get back to where they were in the next season. If Edmonton needs a guy to put pucks in the net right now it's going to be from a first round draft pick this year. Angelo Espisito will most likely be available to Edmonton when they get the 6th pick, and I seriously hope that they stay away from him and draft a defenseman instead. Sure he isn't going to be an all-star defenseman, but I'll put my money on top four or better.

Since it costs just under 95 cents american for a Canadian dollar right now, Lowe has stated that he isn't going to be shy about spending money on UFAs in the offseason and if that's so then they can go out and spend more than needed on a guy who they know will put the puck in the net. They need to grab at least one quality defenseman as well. They'll have 12-14 million to play around with in the off season, so well see what happens.

Paul Kariya would look great in an Oilers uniform. If Edmonton doesn't want to re-sign Sykora(who was great in the first half last year) they could go out and spend a bit more on Kariya. I can't imagine Drury or Briere signing with Edmonton, but those are the guys Edmonton needs to go after.

Look at the guys that people can't wait to chase after in terms of defensemen who are unrestricted free agents this summer. You can't compare these guys to pronger or lidstrom and they're all going to be demanding 5-7 million a year, and they're going to get it. That's why Edmonton needs to draft a defenseman.

I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to begin on this so I'll just thank you for the effort and move along.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

I think the problem with everything you just wrote is that you make it seem like drafting is going to directly effect Edmontons position in the free agent market, at this point no one sees a player who is a clear cut starter for any team in the NHL next season and even if there was a defenseman or two who the Oilers could draft that could step into the lineup next year it wouldnt solve our lack of a experience and top end talent in the back. And Greene and Smid can hardly be called prospects anymore but I am certain both will be solid NHLers in time, as for prospects Petry was just named the US junior hockey player of the year and Chorney was the captain of the US world junior team last year and both of those two are great puck movers, so drafting more defensemen is not going to solve any immediate problems its just going to help us in the future... which is the point of drafting. So next time your commenting on a mock, no matter how off the board it is, dont critique it by a teams current line up because thats just a waste of time and no GM with top 15 picks would try and fill a hole on there roster unless they were sure that was the best player available.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
What has Pheonix drafted since they've been there which has worked well for them? Don't say Shane Doan, because with the numbers he's put up over his career I say he wouldn't be able to hold up a position on the 2nd line on a lot of teams. When Dallas payed a first rounder in the Naggy trade I laughed so hard that it hurt. I'm laughing again.

Poor Pheonix. I hope something good happens to them this year.

Dont say Shane Doan? Yeah he's garbage.. nobody would want him. Awful draft pick :shakehead

If that's the criteria you want then no team has drafted well.

Randall Graves*

Grebeshkov, Gilbert, Greene, Smid, Chorney, Petry, Peckham, Young, Wild. All 18 to 24 years old.

Edmonton is short of top end experienced dmen. If the draft is offering one of those I think you could be right but I'm not certain we are short of young dmen.
And most of those guys will amount to nothing special.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think the problem with everything you just wrote is that you make it seem like drafting is going to directly effect Edmontons position in the free agent market, at this point no one sees a player who is a clear cut starter for any team in the NHL next season and even if there was a defenseman or two who the Oilers could draft that could step into the lineup next year it wouldnt solve our lack of a experience and top end talent in the back. And Greene and Smid can hardly be called prospects anymore but I am certain both will be solid NHLers in time, as for prospects Petry was just named the US junior hockey player of the year and Chorney was the captain of the US world junior team last year and both of those two are great puck movers, so drafting more defensemen is not going to solve any immediate problems its just going to help us in the future... which is the point of drafting. So next time your commenting on a mock, no matter how off the board it is, dont critique it by a teams current line up because thats just a waste of time and no GM with top 15 picks would try and fill a hole on there roster unless they were sure that was the best player available.

My point in the begining was that Edmonton's first need in the draft is not a player who might be a great goal scorer. Edmonton plays a run and gun style of game which demands the defensemen to be able to move the puck out of their zone quickly. With the exception of two season ago Edmonton for the most part hasn't had anyone other than Pronger who's been able to do this.

I can't be that far off. Even the bloggers on yankee owned fox spelled it out for their readers. http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6925344

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
My point in the begining was that Edmonton's first need in the draft is not a player who might be a great goal scorer. Edmonton plays a run and gun style of game which demands the defensemen to be able to move the puck out of their zone quickly. With the exception of two season ago Edmonton for the most part hasn't had anyone other than Pronger who's been able to do this.

I can't be that far off. Even the bloggers on yankee owned fox spelled it out for their readers. http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6925344

thank link really didnt support your cause at all, its brief and outside the first line seems to support the oilers choosing wingers. Also the oilers dont really play much a run and gun style as they did a few years ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->