My Mock Draft (Top 10)

Jibby95

Mar 22, 2011
Hey guys, new to these boards, been reading a bit on here though. I like following prospects and think the draft is an exciting part of the NHL, so i decided to put up a mock draft, to hopefully start a discussion about who everything thinks will go where and what not.

1.(EDM) Nugent-Hopkins - Believed by many to have top flight vision and BPA in the draft, with the conversion of Eberle to winger, Nugent-Hopkins will become the playmaker with Hall

2.(COL) Landeskog - Big, strong, power forward with a lot of grit and heart. May be most NHL ready. Will be perfect with Duchene because he will create space and be a force down low. Think Datsyuk/Holmstrom V2.0

3.(FLA) Huberdeau - The Memorial Cup MVP is a great center iceman who will only get better. Florida has needs everywhere as I am concerned, but a strong center iceman is an essential part of any great team.

4.(NJD) Larsson - With a few big guns up front, and with a bit of an overpaid back-end, the Devils look to reload the organization with a top tier defender. Some people make comparisons to Hedman, has potential to be better.

5. (NYI) Hamilton - Moulson, Tavares, Grabner, Okposo all highlight a young promising forward core for the Islanders, with Streit wearing down and the rest of the D being pretty much abyssmal, the Islanders select a blue chip rough and tough D-man with some mobility.

6. (OTT) Strome - Is drawing comparisons to Kadri in his draft year, but scouts also mention that he does play more of a two way game, and has good play in the corners. Whether or not that's true will remain to be seen, but he certainly has top notch talent, very creative with the puck.

7. (WPG) Couturier - Winnipeg ishcheering in the streets that the stud centerman from Drummondville falls to them, and pounce on it. Sean was the QMJHL MVP this year and has potential to be a top line centerman, just what the Peg needs.

8. (CBJ) Zibanejad- The blue jackets have been looking for a center to play with Nash, and have it in Zibanejad. Strong forward with speed and hands, will compliment Nash very well.

9. (BOS) Murphy - Boston looks to add to a sub par, overpaid back end by selecting one of the top ( if not THE top) puck movers in the draft. With 79 points in 63 games, Murphy is the real deal and will add offense to a some what offensive deprived team.

10. (MIN) Jurco - I think the Wild take a chance here and go with Jurco. They like to draft europeans and Jurco is one of those boom or bust picks that could turn in to the next Jeff Skinner.

Anyway, thanks for reading, feel free to comment with what you agree and disagree with.

Last edited:

Robin Lehner*

IMO Ottawa takes Couturier or Zibenajad over Strome.

OrangeZebra

Unregistered User
Mar 3, 2011
New York
5. (NYI) Hamilton - Moulson, Tavares, Grabner, Okposo all highlight a young promising forward core for the Islanders, with Streit wearing down and the rest of the D being pretty much abyssmal, the Islanders select a blue chip rough and tough D-man with some mobility.

Hamonic, MacDonald, de Haan? Yeah those guys are abysmal

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport
Isles defense after Streit is far from abysmal with McDonald & Hamonic progressing nicely and Calvin de Haan likely to make the Islanders some time this coming season. They might draft Hamilton if they feel he is the BPA, but I would bet that Sean Couturier is given great consideration as is Mika Z, Strome and maybe Murphy.

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I put Couturier over Strome. It's no longer ATL, it's Winnipeg. Then at 10 I'd put Schefiele. I do like you're top 4. Solid list.

Jibby95

Mar 22, 2011
I know De haan is good, but I don`t follow the NYI enough to know about guys like Hamonic and McDonald, apologies if I offended anyone.

I could definitely see Couturier or another forward go to the Isles, i just thought with a lot of top notch talent up front they might look for another D.

And the last 5 picks were tough to decide on, Ottawa could definitely go for a center or a D even, but Murray had interest in Kadri last year, he likes those kinds of players, and i think Strome draws comparisons.

Jibby95

Mar 22, 2011
I put Couturier over Strome. It's no longer ATL, it's Winnipeg. Then at 10 I'd put Schefiele. I do like you're top 4. Solid list.

lol keep forgetting about Winnipeg.

And yeah, 10 is a weird pick because this draft is very deep from 10-50ish. Really anyone could get picked, I decided on Jurco because I have seen him play and he can control the puck better than alot of players. And again he has that boom potential.

But Schefiele is a good player to pick too, I like him, even guys like McNeil too.

hsfgsteele

Apr 29, 2011
Canada
I think that Columbus is more likely to take Murphy (if they don't trade their pick) instead of Zibanejad. They already have a top centre prospect in Ryan Johansen.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
9. (BOS) Murphy - Boston looks to add to a sub par, overpaid back end by selecting one of the top ( if not THE top) puck movers in the draft. With 79 points in 63 games, Murphy is the real deal and will add offense to a some what offensive deprived team.

Last time I checked, that "sub par, overpaid back end" gave up the fewest goals in the Eastern Conference this season and are in the Stanley Cup Finals. I don't know if I would categorize any of their D as overpaid (perhaps Boychuk).

Additionally, that "offensive deprived team" scored the 3rd most goals in the Eastern Conference this season.

If want to say that the Bruins lack a consistent offensive threat from the backend and top-notch D prospects, then I would agree with you...and feel Ryan Murphy would be a great pick for them.

Jibby95

Mar 22, 2011
^ not sure if it is exactly the 6 defensemen who made Boston the team with the fewest goals in the East. I would rather say that it was stellar play from Thomas and Rask, as well as great defensive play from the forwards.

When I mean offensive deprived, I meant it in a way that the team plays defense first, there is no denying that. I guess what I was implying was that Murphy could be that gamebreaker kkind of change of pace guy. But again, not trying to offend any fans.

To the rest saying Couturier to the Sens, I agree with you. It makes the most sense, but Murray has shown interest in the past toward players that play similar to Strome, but of course maybe they go BPA and take Couturier, who knows.

I like all the input though.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
If the Wild were to take a chance on any European, I have to think they'd go with Armia rather than Jurco. Seeing as how the Wild lack scoring depth in the system, they would need to a really good reason to take Jurco with guys like Armia and Puempel still on the board.

Plus, drafting Armia makes us one player closer to becoming Finland West! :yo:

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Hamonic, MacDonald, de Haan? Yeah those guys are abysmal

I would also like to think guys like Wishart and Donovan are very nice prospects to have in the system. I mean not for nothing the Islanders can not be picking based on need. No team really should with the turnover in the NHL. Should be BPA.

Hamilton is a stout prospect but not top 5 worthy. Larsson def is, Murphy could be but IMO that is it.

The Islanders will have a shot at a top tier forward and although they might seem set with forward there is always room to add more offensive fire power when possible. Tavares, Grabner, Okposo and Nino are really the extent of the fire power the Islanders will have for years to come. Guys like Moulson and Comeau are nice compliment players but to think they are good enough to hold off adding better offensive prospects thats crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->