My Mock Draft 1.1

Frank Nitty

May 19, 2006
Ottawa
This is the way I see the first round playing out based on team needs. Im going to just guess and say Carolina wins the cup for the purpose of draft positions.

1. St.Louis: Erik Johnson D USA NTDP. The Blues lost Pronger and cant make the same mistake again with Johnson available. They can use their other 1st rnd pick to address their forward needs.

2. Pittsburgh: Phil Kessel F Minnesota. With Johnson off the board I can see the Pens shopping this pick and getting D help later in the 1st rnd. But if they keep their pick I see them using it on Kessel to add to their young talented forwards.

3. Chicago: Jordan Staal F Petrborough. I see the Blackhawks taking Staal to provide some offensive spark to their offense. Hopefully with a good young forward they can market him to bring some fans back.

4. Washington: Jonathan Toews F ND. While the Caps need help on D their simply isnt a dman good enough at this slot. They take Toews to help compliment Ovechkin.

5. Boston: Peter Mueller F Everett. The Thornton trade will haunt this team for awhile but adding Mueller to the mix up front is a step in the right direction.

6. Colombus: Nicklas Backstorm F Sweden. This one is a toss up between Backstrom and Brassard but I think the Jackets will defientely address their forward needs and pick Backstrom to add to thier young nucleus.

7. NYI: Derick Brassard F Drummondville. The Isles need help in a lot of places but seeing their are not a lot of top end d-men they take the best available player and at this slot its Brassard.

8. Phoenix: Kyle Okposo F Des Moines. This pick is tough to call since the Yotes have gone of the board in the past but I see them addressing their wing situation and adding Okposo int he slot.

9. Minnesota: Jiri Tlusty F Czech Rep. By having 2 picks in round one I see them picking up a forward a dman. With plenty of dmen available in the later half I see them picking up Tlusty in this slot.

10. Florida: Bob Sanguinetti D Owen Sound. The Cats have already picked up a lot of young forwards in previous drafts so I think they turn their attention to D and pick up a talented one in Sanguinetti.

11. LA Kings: Michael Frolik F Czech Rep. Despite havign an off year Frolik used to be seen as the #1 pick in this draft and I think the Kings pick him up at this point.

12. Atlanta: Bryan Little F Barrie. If this draft were deep in top end dmen I think they would pick one here but since it isnt and the potential of Savard leaving I think the Thrashers pick up a talented forward in little here.

13. Toronto: James Sheppard F Cape Breton. This would be the perfect scenario for the Leafs if Sheppard falls to them. It addresses their need for help on the wings and adds someone with size at the same time.

14. Vancouver: Chris Stewart F Kingston. The Canucks have a good goalie depth in the system and Bourdon wiating on D so I think they pick up a forward here and Stewart fits the bill.

15. Tampa Bay: Jonathan Bernier G Lewiston. The Bolts need to address their goalie depth at some point and I think they do it here by adding Bernier to the stable.

16. Montreal: Patrick Berglund F Sweden. I see the Habs going off the board a bit here and ading a Berglund who is listed at 6'3 187. They need a big centremen and I see them adding him here.

17. Minnesota (Edm): Nigel Williams D USA NTDP. With thier second pick the Wild pick a talented big dman in Williams.

18. Colorado: Ty Wishart D Prince George. I see the Avs addressing their blueline with this pick and Wishart adds size and skill to the backend.

19. Anaheim: Mark Mitera D Michigan. With a stable of young forwards already I see the Ducks adding a quality dman in Mitera at this pick.

20. San Jose: Cory Emmerton F Kingston. The Sharks have a lot of youth on the blueline so I see them adding a playmaking forward like Emmerton with this pick.

21. NY Rangers: Ivan Vishnevsky D Rouyn-Noranda. The Ozolinsh experiment failed so I see the Rangers adding offense to the blueline with this pick and adding Vishnevsky.

22. Philadelphia: Chris Summers D USA NTDP. The Flyers picked Downie earlier than ex[ected last year and I think they do the same here. Summers is everything the Flyers D is lacking. Speed and skill and they will address it here.

23. Washington (Nas): Riku Helenius G Finland. With next to no depth in their system with goalies I see the Caps addressing it here and adding Helenius who outperformed Bernier at the under 18.

24. Buffalo: Joe Ryan D Quebec. I think the Sabres will add some talent to the blueline with this pick and Ryan seems like a safe pick here.

25. NJ: Mike Forney F Thief River Falls. The Devils always seem to ahve a talented forward dropped in their laps and I think Forney will end up being their choice here.

26. Calgary: Ryan White F Calgary. White is a Sutter type of player. Hard nosed western kid who will fit right into the style of game Sutter preaches.

27. Dallas: Michael Grabner F Spokane. I see the Stars adding some talent up front and Grabner proved he could score in junior.

28. Ottawa: Vladimir Zharkov F Russia. Another late round gem from the Sens. Zharkov will added even more punch to an already talented cast of forwards.

29. Detroit: David Fischer D Apple Valley. The loss of Jiri Fischer hurt the depth on the wings blueline and with Chelios and Shneider not getting any younger I think the Wings look to the future and grab Fischer here.

30. St.Louis (Carolina): Ben Maxwell F Kootenay. Already addressing the blueline with Johnson at number one, the Blues pick up a quality forward in Maxwell here.

Last edited:

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
2. Pittsburgh: Jordan Staal F Petrborough. With Johnson off the board I can see the Pens shopping this pick and getting D help later in the 1st rnd. But if they keep their pick I see them using it on Staal to add to their young talented forwards.

I seriously doubt this will happen unless there is a trade with Carolina
To Pitt: Jack Johnson
To Caroline: 2nd overall (Jordan Stall) + prospects or picks

Pitt doesn't need another center... they need either Johnson or Kessel.
The Pens biggest needs are
1) #1 Right-handed D-man (Johnson)
2) #1 Scoring Winger/Sniper (Kessel) + (He's a righty = opposite of Sid on PP)

Last edited:

Hercules Rockefeller

Feb 9, 2006
Nowhere
Frank Nitty said:
29. Detroit: David Fischer D Apple Valley. The loss of Jiri Fischer hurt the depth on the wings blueline and with Chelios and Shneider not getting any younger I think the Wings look to the future and grab Fischer here.

Fischer substituted for Fischer. Has a nice ring to it.

Frank Nitty

May 19, 2006
Ottawa
I seriously doubt this will happen unless there is a trade with Carolina

Your right Zeus.....I totally forgot Malkin was a centre so they would need help on the wing. I changed it to reflect Kessel at #2.

Jack Splat

Apr 8, 2006
Hershey, PA
I don't think that the Pens would trade down for defense. They have some pretty good defenders in the system--it's just that none are as good as EJ. They might trade down for a flashy winger, though, if something good came in return, like a good young defensive defenseman.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jack Splat said:
I don't think that the Pens would trade down for defense. They have some pretty good defenders in the system--it's just that none are as good as EJ. They might trade down for a flashy winger, though, if something good came in return, like a good young defensive defenseman.

Do you really think that anything would come back from a team in the top say eight picks (I would not drop lower than that for anything) that would make dropping worth it? You end up with a wing in that next tier of players and NOT Kessel, Toews or Staal or even Backstrom. And for what? A defenseman who is not even as good as what we have working their way up through the minors? No thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->