My May Mock

Zeroknowledge*

1 EDM RNH : Seems to be the BPA and will shine with Hall as soon as next year.
2 COL Larsson: With all the Landeskog speculation here I don't see them passing on the chance to have him play with EJ on a nightly basis, that would potentially be the best pairing in the NHL 4 years from now.
3 FLA Huberdeau: They go for the explosive winger, give him a solid center and he will breat out, has solid star potential.
4 NJ Murphy: They might trade down a pick or 2 to select Murphy and even if they don't I'd be surprised if the pick anybody else at this stage. I have a feeling Landeskog and even Hamilton will be considered here.
5 NYI Landeskog: Hamilton could be an option here, but it's hard to pass on Gabriel at #5, he has all the intangibles to be a winner, Islanders need a player like him
6 OTT Couturier: Pretty sure they'd rather have Huberdeau here, but Couturier at 6 is quite the surprise, will center the 2nd or 3rd line as soon as next year.
7 ATL Strome: They need a scorer, and they get perhaps the one that could be the best, he still needs a year or 2 though.
8 CBS Hamilton: They'd rather have Murphy here but Hamilton is a good consolation prize, won't be a superstar IMO but he will be a solid #2-3 for a long long time.
9 BOS Beaulieu: Dissapointed that Murphy and Hamilton have been selected, the bruins select the 2nd best PMD available in Bealieu.
10 MIN Zibanedaj: Yes they take the BPA and not the best Finnish player available, great pick here, wouldn't be surprised if Boston snags him at 9.
11 COL Armia: With Larsson on board, they go for a player that can contribute more offensively with this pick and perhaps the BPA at this point.
12 CAR Scheifele: Carolina keeps its motion of forwards only in the first round and selects a big center to it's already solid crop.
13 CAL McNeill: He won't be a first line center, but the size and ability to play will lead him to Calgary, they will hope he develops into a Paul Gaustad type of player that can score 20-25 goals. And he is a prototypical Flames kind of player.
14 DAL Siemens: Surprised that he's still on board, Dallas scoops him up and they hope he will anchor their D line a couple years down the line. BPA at this point by far.
15 NYR Bartschi: They go for offensive juggernot Sven Bartchi, he is a long way from the NHL but the potential is there. Phillips can also be picked here.
16 BUF Philips: With the playoffs he's having I can see Philips being drated by the Sabres, could perhaps be BPA on some team lists at this point.
17 MTL Miller: JT's been doing well lately, and Habs draft him hoping they have something special in him. The kind of player Timmins loves to pick.
18 CHI Oleksiak: Drafting perhaps the BPA here, and also a player that's boom or bust but the boom in him has been compared to a Chara don't see him goin past 20 with his size.
19 EDM Brodin: With RNH on board, they need to start building up the blueline and Brodin will provide solid play, will most likely top out as a very reliable 2nd pairing Dman.
20 PHO Puempel: Phoenix lacks any credible goal scorers and they hope he can keep progressing, a good, healthy year next season in the CHL will have some teams regretting passing on him.
21 OTT Jensen: Ottawa starts stacking Danes, Jensen has all the tools to become a special player, he just needs to be more involved physically and in the corners.
22 ANA Morrow: Solid 2 way defenseman fits the philosophies of Ducks management, could also see Rattie being drafted here.
23 PIT Grimaldi: Pittsburgh is a team that can gamble on drafting a player such as Grimaldi, if he ever plays with Malkin or Crosby he'll have all the space in the world to maneuver and electrify the crowd. Great fit here.
24 DET Namestrikov: Detroit goes for a Russian that already possesses a solid 2 way game and has game breaking abilities, they could also go for a John Gibson here.
25 TOR Biggs: Burke is drooling to get Biggs, a big north American player that can perhaps be a solid third liner, just what Burke loves.
26 WAS Khokhlachev: Washington keeps on stacking on Russians and select the BPA here which should be ranked around 20 for most teams, but due to the whole Russian factor only Washington can safely draft him as a first rounder.
27 TB Saad: TB goes for a big power forward type of player here, hoping that he can regain some confidence in himself hoping he replaces Malone in a couple years.
28 TOR Jenner: TO scoops a player that will give his 110% on every shift, he might never be a first or even second liner but he has all the intangibles to be a solid player and has decent size which will appeal to Burke.
29 SJ Rattie: San Jose is surprised Rattie is on board and goes with BPA drafting here, nothing more.
30 VAN Mayfield: It's between him or Musil for this pick, but Mayfield might have more potential although he is the riskier pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Although I'd prefer Larsson and McNeill/Schiefele, I can live with RNH and Oleksiak (or Brodin). :)

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
While Duncan Siemens would be nice, Calgary needs offense. Sven Bartschi would be a better pick around that pick.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
If the Habs are picking a defenseman and Oleksiak is still there, I would prefer Oleksiak. Tinordi, Oleksiak, Subban and Gorges going forward is pretty solid.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Love the picks for Toronto hope we can get Biggs he would bring great depth at center or if he isn't available would love Ty Rattie in a leafs uniform. We shud draft Jurco in the second as well just to have some of that sik puk skilled players.

johnnydollaz89*

if McNiel or Puempe is still there i dont see the NYR passing on them

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
I agree with the Mcneill pick if Sutter was still GM. I still think(hope) Calgary goes for most offensive upside in the draft. I'm hoping for a scheifele, Armia, Bartschi, or Zibanejad.

Zeroknowledge*

I agree with the Mcneill pick if Sutter was still GM. I still think(hope) Calgary goes for most offensive upside in the draft. I'm hoping for a scheifele, Armia, Bartschi, or Zibanejad.

Scheifele would be a good fit, but for some reason I see him goin prety early.

hdtrax

Well..lets remember that this isn't the order of the picks.

Philly's pick to Toronto is 25, not 24 (which would go to either Detroit or SJ), Washington is 26th and 27-30 feature TB, DET/SJ, , BOS, VAN. Which means Toronto's second pick is in that range as well. This changes up the dynamic and BPA, so the order of players selected will likely be drastically different (in 20s at least).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I think it willbe the reverse--MTL at #17 takes Olekesiak...CHI at #18 takes J.T. Miller...

MTL will hope Olekesiak is a top 2 pair D-anchor and their answer to facing CHARA and his Bruins...There are age questions with some of their D-men (Hamrlik,Gill,Spacek Sopel --all in to geezerhood) so I think they need to add D-mento the piperline-especially ones of that SIZE...

CHI needs to find the proverbial 2nd line centre solution--won't be solved immediately through the draft -but in 2 years when he's "ready" ---MILLER could be a KESLER clone...decent size 6'198, good speed.2-way player,and he's edgy and physical --the perfect "solution"...

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
my top 3 to go after

Zibanedaj
Armia
Scheifele

all on the board at 10 and Calgary doesn't get any of them at 13... I might cry if that happens lol

SeriousFan09

Jul 15, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
I think it willbe the reverse--MTL at #17 takes Olekesiak...CHI at #18 takes J.T. Miller...

MTL will hope Olekesiak is a top 2 pair D-anchor and their answer to facing CHARA and his Bruins...There are age questions with some of their D-men (Hamrlik,Gill,Spacek Sopel --all in to geezerhood) so I think they need to add D-mento the piperline-especially ones of that SIZE...

CHI needs to find the proverbial 2nd line centre solution--won't be solved immediately through the draft -but in 2 years when he's "ready" ---MILLER could be a KESLER clone...decent size 6'198, good speed.2-way player,and he's edgy and physical --the perfect "solution"...

MTL grabbed a giant last year in Jarred Tinordi and with the possible signing now of Alexei Yemelin, they can look to adding some impact at forward.

Zeroknowledge*

MTL grabbed a giant last year in Jarred Tinordi and with the possible signing now of Alexei Yemelin, they can look to adding some impact at forward.

Fixed selection and moved up or down a couple players.

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
I won't be surprised at all if the Leafs draft either Biggs or Jenner but I can't see them drafting both of them. I think they will try to get a high risk/high reward forward with one of their picks, and then use their second pick on a "safe" player like Jenner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad