My knee...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
....****ing hurts. It has been bothering me for a while now, every time I skate it feels a little bit worse. Up until now it has been fine once I got off the ice, but I skated last night and it still hurts pretty bad. It is on the inside of my knee, about even with my kneecap, and it is not a bruise. The good news is that it is not swollen and it does not limit my mobility, i.e. I can still push off and my butterfly is still as wide as usual.

I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, I can play through it. My only concern is that if I continue to skate on it and it keeps getting worse I might be sidelined for a while or, worst case scenario, I might have to go under the knife.

I've never had real knee injury, is there anyone that has gone through something similar to this? What should I do?

Also, I have a couple days before my next skate (Saturday)...so I will be able to give it a couple days to improve.

pitthockey81

Apr 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
You should probably get an MRI and see a orthopeadic. That way you know whether everything is structurally sound in your knee, or whether some time off may prevent further injury.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
pitthockey81 said:
You should probably get an MRI and see a orthopeadic. That way you know whether everything is structurally sound in your knee, or whether some time off may prevent further injury.

That would be a good idea, but I don't have the money for that...sounds expensive. Also, I am in the middle of getting ready for finals right now and I have a ton of papers to right, I don't have time for that. I have a game Saturday...I will probably test it out in warmups and if I feel like I can play, I will and if I can't, I won't.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
RSBPC said:
....****ing hurts. It has been bothering me for a while now, every time I skate it feels a little bit worse. Up until now it has been fine once I got off the ice, but I skated last night and it still hurts pretty bad. It is on the inside of my knee, about even with my kneecap, and it is not a bruise.
That sounds a lot like my injury. A doctor found out it was some kind of hole in the bone behind the knee cap and it required surgery. If it is the same kind of thing I had, better go to a doc and let him check, an MRI as mentioned above is probably necessary. That kind of crap does not stop hurting.
One thing you can try is to stretch your tigh as it is possible your knee cap puts pressure on something below it what is causing the pain, stretching the tigh could help here. IMO, you should waste no time and let the doc have a look, knee problems are usually rather serious and can bother you for a long time (i know what i talk about :( )
btw, my problems came from playing soccer, not ice hockey, but the cause for that kind of problems is not a particular sports...

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
sounds somewhat like my injury, started with a minor tear in the cartilidge 2 years ago didnt get surgery and now this year in our final football game i tore more cartiledge that the doctor figures wouldnt have occured if i had surgery or had it taken care of. the thing i suggest is deffinatly get a doctor to look at it as well as a physiotherapist. Get an MRI or orthopedic if the doc or physio suggests it, it will help figure things out, as well as possibly get a theraband from your physio to help strengthen and stretch it on off days if you can. If your going back on the ice get a knee brace. The things wont solve your problem but it will help cut down your chances of gettting a recurring injury like mine

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
i feel your pain..

I tore up my MCL last year in soccer, and decided against surgery in favour of rest...

didn't work at all, and I retore it along with a slight tear in my ACL and I chipped a piece of my meniscus off..

so basically my knee is screwed for life. :)

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
Damn...lots of horror stories...

It feels much better now than it did last night, or even this morning...

I go home for break 12/21...I'll be skating five times between now and then. I am going to skate through the pain for a week and a half and then as soon as I get home I am going to my doc that I know and trust to get checked out.

Thanks for the advice guys/gals.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
I had several knee problems myself...2 reconstructions and an arthroscopy... The best advice was already given to you (orthopedist andMRI if necessary). If you don't have the money to do that, there might be a few things that could help you. Time away from the activity could be beneficial as usually, small meniscus tears will heal by themselves. A more severe tear would require surgery to remove part of it. If you are a little older than 25, you might show signs of osteoarthirtis. This is especially true if you had a lot of knee problems. I found that taking glucosamine/chondroitin supplements helps to minimize the pain from painful activities. Other approaches that I've never tried also exist (http://dens.com/arthritis.html).

Another cause for your pain might be related to your feet, especially if they are overpronated. In that case, getting some orthotics or insoles like superfeet might help you.

Knee problems can be casued by a multitude of things and seeking help from a medical professionnal could help you identify the cause of your condition. Good luck.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
slumpy43 said:
I had several knee problems myself...2 reconstructions and an arthroscopy... The best advice was already given to you (orthopedist andMRI if necessary). If you don't have the money to do that, there might be a few things that could help you. Time away from the activity could be beneficial as usually, small meniscus tears will heal by themselves. A more severe tear would require surgery to remove part of it. If you are a little older than 25, you might show signs of osteoarthirtis. This is especially true if you had a lot of knee problems. I found that taking glucosamine/chondroitin supplements helps to minimize the pain from painful activities. Other approaches that I've never tried also exist (http://dens.com/arthritis.html).

Another cause for your pain might be related to your feet, especially if they are overpronated. In that case, getting some orthotics or insoles like superfeet might help you.

Knee problems can be casued by a multitude of things and seeking help from a medical professionnal could help you identify the cause of your condition. Good luck.

Thanks for the help...I have not skated since I posted here, and my knee feels a bit better, still not 100%. Age should not be an issue, I am only 21. Thanks for the advice, it is stuff I will definitely look into.

CheeseSandwich*

RSBPC said:
....****ing hurts. It has been bothering me for a while now, every time I skate it feels a little bit worse. Up until now it has been fine once I got off the ice, but I skated last night and it still hurts pretty bad. It is on the inside of my knee, about even with my kneecap, and it is not a bruise. The good news is that it is not swollen and it does not limit my mobility, i.e. I can still push off and my butterfly is still as wide as usual.

I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, I can play through it. My only concern is that if I continue to skate on it and it keeps getting worse I might be sidelined for a while or, worst case scenario, I might have to go under the knife.

I've never had real knee injury, is there anyone that has gone through something similar to this? What should I do?

Also, I have a couple days before my next skate (Saturday)...so I will be able to give it a couple days to improve.

Is it the knee on the leg that's not your good leg? If it is, the reason it's hurting is because you lower quads (thigh muscles) on that leg aren't as strong as the quads on your other leg.

I get that on my left leg (I'm right handed) when I run, or bike too much.

To make it better do some squating, lunges with equal weight for both legs to even them out in the gym.

I've never had the problem skating, but I assume that's just because my skating muscles are even.

It's not anything to worry about if this is the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
tbone77 said:
Is it the knee on the leg that's not your good leg? If it is, the reason it's hurting is because you lower quads (thigh muscles) on that leg aren't as strong as the quads on your other leg.

I get that on my left leg (I'm right handed) when I run, or bike too much.

To make it better do some squating, lunges with equal weight for both legs to even them out in the gym.

I've never had the problem skating, but I assume that's just because my skating muscles are even.

It's not anything to worry about if this is the case.

That is a possibility, I am right handed (legged?) and it is my left knee. The only thing is, it has never been a problem before and I have not been playing any more lately than in previous years, and I skated 3-4 times a week over the summer as well.

In any event, it feels like it is improving so I may try to skate Thursday or Friday. I'm itching to get back out there, as I was playing very well when I decided to give it some rest.

CheeseSandwich*

RSBPC said:
That is a possibility, I am right handed (legged?) and it is my left knee. The only thing is, it has never been a problem before and I have not been playing any more lately than in previous years, and I skated 3-4 times a week over the summer as well.

In any event, it feels like it is improving so I may try to skate Thursday or Friday. I'm itching to get back out there, as I was playing very well when I decided to give it some rest.

If it had been getting better from not playing, then this supports my theory even more.

If you haven't had it before and are just getting it now it is probably because now there is a difference in the muscles size then before. A change could come from working out more, doing other activities you hadn't before, or just being older.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
jtuzzi said:
i feel your pain..

I tore up my MCL last year in soccer, and decided against surgery in favour of rest...

didn't work at all, and I retore it along with a slight tear in my ACL and I chipped a piece of my meniscus off..

so basically my knee is screwed for life. :)
update:

my first hockey game tonight in over two years (just intramural), 3 assists.

:)

Tuff Gong

Nov 6, 2005
Kelowna
jtuzzi said:
update:

my first hockey game tonight in over two years (just intramural), 3 assists.

:)
:yo: :yo: :yo: good to hear!
we had a game last night, 6-5 win with the game winner coming with 17 seconds left. good ol' CNC premier hockey :biglaugh:

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Sounds like tendonitis. If you had a torn ligament you would know, the pain is intense. Tendonitis gets better with rest and then returns with the movement.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
Tikkanen said:
Sounds like tendonitis. If you had a torn ligament you would know, the pain is intense. Tendonitis gets better with rest and then returns with the movement.

You could be right...I stayed off of it for about three weeks, and I have been back on the ice for a bit now. It still bothers me occasionally on the ice, but not nearly as painful as it was when I started this thread.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Tikkanen said:

I have tendonitis in both knees. When I skate 4-5 times a week I have occasional pain in my knees when I try and sleep. It's not too bad unless I run. Running is actually the absolute worst thing on my knees and durring the hockey season don't even do sprints.

Rest is key.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Toonces said:
I have tendonitis in both knees. When I skate 4-5 times a week I have occasional pain in my knees when I try and sleep. It's not too bad unless I run. Running is actually the absolute worst thing on my knees and durring the hockey season don't even do sprints.

Rest is key.

You need anti-inflams.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
update..

no knee pain!

I am so pleased, you have no idea. After two dirty hockey games, my knee is not acting up at all..

I had a nice deflection goal tonight.. but got a major penalty for slashing.. :)

I am back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad