My idea to tweak the current playoff format without a huge overhaul

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Leave the first round format as it is- divisional, Wild Card, 2 vs. 3, etc.

But.....

Reseed round 2 from highest seed to lowest seed in terms of who gets out of round 1.

Like, unless Calgary comes back from 3-1, Colorado should have to play the highest remaining seed left ala the 2012 Kings/2006 Oilers.

That way, you can get your round 1 divisional matchups, but leave room for some possible cross-divisional matchups outside the Conference finals and an occasional WC crossover.

Reactions: NHL WAR

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If they're going to keep the current 4 divisions when they go to Seattle I think they should go to a top 4 team in each division format. If we had that format now neither Columbus or Colorado would have made the playoffs.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Leave the first round format as it is- divisional, Wild Card, 2 vs. 3, etc.

But.....

Reseed round 2 from highest seed to lowest seed in terms of who gets out of round 1.

Like, unless Calgary comes back from 3-1, Colorado should have to play the highest remaining seed left ala the 2012 Kings/2006 Oilers.

That way, you can get your round 1 divisional matchups, but leave room for some possible cross-divisional matchups outside the Conference finals and an occasional WC crossover.

And the best part is... if they do that, Colorado will most likely play NSH or WPG/STL! You get a divisional matchup anyway! :D

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
If they're going to keep the current 4 divisions when they go to Seattle I think they should go to a top 4 team in each division format. If we had that format now neither Columbus or Colorado would have made the playoffs.

Given their great playoff performance thus far, I fail to see how the non-inclusion of the Jackets and Avs is a point in this systems favour

Reactions: Not So Mighty

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Or just do it like the old days, there was no need to mess with it.

If they absolutely must have wild card spots, base spots 1-6 on division standings, and then 7-8 can be wild cards.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Top 8 teams in the conference make it, division winners are the 1 and 2 seeds.
1vs8
2vs7
3vs6
4vs5
Don't reseed after RND 1.

Seems a lot like it was before they tried this divisional garbage to force feed us rivalries. It worked. Go back to it.

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
Worst part about the current PO format is that it leaves no possibility to ever see MTL/TOR or other great rivals play in a final for the stanley cup.
I know its about travel and stuff but the fans get the raw deal on that one.
1 vs 16 and keep using top vs bot and so on is what i would love to see. Top 16 in the league make it regardless of conference or division. Would need a more balanced regular season shedule but the possibility of NYR/NYI or EDM/CAL or BOS/MTL and so on Stanley cup final would be awesome .

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

If anything I think that’s a reason for us not to use that format, because Colorado and Columbus both clearly deserve to be in the playoffs.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease

The West doesn't want cross-divisional matchups though, the wild card is already a compromise they'd rather not have to make. The West wants strict divisional play in the first two rounds because of time zones for fans and travel for the team.

Reactions: FissionFire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad