My hatred for the offside rule in all sports is growing by the day

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I was watching a soccer match the other day. Two goals were scored. Both were reviewed and called back for offside violations. And not obvious violations. The guys who scored were both literally INCHES offside and the game ended 0-0. A boring mach that desperately needed a goal to come to life.

What has this monstrosity become? It was NEVER the intention of the rule to come down to inches. The intent was to prevent cherry pickers from parking themselves next to the opponents goal. If it's not so obvious that the sideline judge catches it LET IT GO.

I know this is not a new rant but I don't watch much soccer and the match I just watched left me with no real desire to seek out anther one. I'm tired (especially when it comes to hockey) of waiting to celebrate a goal by my team until

1) the opposing team decides whether or not to review
2) and the review is completed.

Get rid of offside reviews in all sports.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
What has this monstrosity become? It was NEVER the intention of the rule to come down to inches. The intent was to prevent cherry pickers from parking themselves next to the opponents goal. If it's not so obvious that the sideline judge catches it LET IT GO.
My opinion has always been that if a team wants to put a cherry-picker beside the other team's goal, then the defending team can just put a player back to defend.

It would create a lot of excitement if cherry-picking was allowed, and would increase scoring opportunities.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
My opinion has always been that if a team wants to put a cherry-picker beside the other team's goal, then the defending team can just put a player back to defend.

It would create a lot of excitement if cherry-picking was allowed, and would increase scoring opportunities.

It would definitely completely alter the flow of the game in both hockey and soccer. That makes me wary of eliminating offside completely.

In both sports you'd have guys shooting up the ice/pitch not concerned with being in an offside position. The game would probably devolve into a video gamey stretch/long passing contest.

Do we want hockey and soccer games with 12-9 scores on a regular basis?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad