OT: My First Time Doing Stand-Up Comedy

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Hey guys, I recently did something I've wanted to do for a while.. stand-up comedy. It was a 15 minute set in front of 200 or so people. I got another gig next weekend, my first paying gig, and it will be 15 minutes as well.

I was hoping to get some honest feedback from my peers on content, delivery, pacing, etc so that I can take them in to consideration while prepping for my next show in the 18th.

I posted the video to the stand-up comedy forum on reddit which can be viewed here...

Feedback good or bad would be appreciated.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I liked it. Quite good for the first one. Stop the nervous pacing and give up the note pad. I'd love to see your second one. I've always wanted to do stand-up comedy. That took guts. Good job.

Reactions: Mowzie

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
I thought you did really well. I enjoyed it more than many professionals I have seen. Great job! :)

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Or make jokes about the notepad and the nervous pacing ;) own it :) you seem clever enough to figure out something witty about those types of things.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Good for you!
Built up and up for solid ending. I thought it was well done.
As to the pad / pacing, I imagine that'll drop with experience! Hope you continue.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Or make jokes about the notepad and the nervous pacing ;) own it :) you seem clever enough to figure out something witty about those types of things.

I actually do start my set by explaining the notepad by saying a kid ran off with my fitbit so I've been tracking my steps manually. It ties in to the ending about the kid w ADHD wearing my watch.

The pacing was nerves, I will try to be more conscious of that next week.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I liked it. Quite good for the first one. Stop the nervous pacing and give up the note pad. I'd love to see your second one. I've always wanted to do stand-up comedy. That took guts. Good job.

Sunday February 18th I'll be opening for Chris Hall and the Comedic Orchestra.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO you started off the first part of the video speaking a little too fast/rushed. By the end you were pacing yourself and delivering it a lot better/smoother.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Tracking the fitbit manually is funny :) I look forward to seeing more. Could also tie the pacing into the Fitbit if you liked. But kudos to you. You did very well.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Tracking the fitbit manually is funny :) I look forward to seeing more. Could also tie the pacing into the Fitbit if you liked. But kudos to you. You did very well.

I hope to have a better recording of my next show with better audio as well. I will make it available for anyone interested after its edited.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
I hope to have a better recording of my next show with better audio as well. I will make it available for anyone interested after its edited.

Nice I look forward to that. I think it is also great the you reached out for feedback. And great sign of someone wanted to grow :)

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

"I ran out of dough so I couldn't make the ADHD kid stick around any longer for pizza so now I have to hop around like a jackass"

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
IMO you started off the first part of the video speaking a little too fast/rushed. By the end you were pacing yourself and delivering it a lot better/smoother.

that's why I changed from standup to improv

the second delay in thinking about a subject to talk about instead of being prepared--I have the same problem when I do stand up--I speak fast and often stutter--not so much with improv

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
that's why I changed from standup to improv

the second delay in thinking about a subject to talk about instead of being prepared--I have the same problem when I do stand up--I speak fast and often stutter--not so much with improv

I really enjoy improv as well, totally different than stand-up but equally as enjoyable.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
When I read the title I thought you might have got a job coaching our power play.

16 minutes of work on the power play? That’s crazy talk. I move around way too much on stage to be compared to an Oilers powerplay. I should watch some of their PP's to work on being stationary more on stage.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
pretty good.

my "request" would be to make the terry fox bit more awkward.

What I said about him was actually complimentary but I think people felt obligated to moan. They laughed and then it morphed into a collective moan.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Last night I watched Mary Lynn Rajskub do a comedy routine because I saw 24 and was curious. She's a better better actor than comedien. Your routine was much better.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I will give this a watch later for sure. congrats on giving it a go.

if you are ever short on material just get on stage and show pics of kevin lowe and mact and all the other oilers management that has been a laughing stock for years and years.

#cheaplaughs

Oct 15, 2008
You need to work on your material. But for a beginner you were actually pretty good. You showed good confidence and looked fairly comfortable. Fake it till you make it! Good on you for getting up there, double bonus points for posting it here. Best of luck to you.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Thanks for posting. You did good crowd interaction banter. dealt well with heckling, I liked the "no more Terry Fox jokes". Slow your pace down when you expect something to get some laughs. Give people a moment to respond. Then if absolutely silent make a note not to tell that joke anymore. I liked the clipboard. I liked the pacing if you had mentioned prior that you have ADHD as well.

I didn't get the joke about "'did you ever wear a watch" trying to figure that one out. (never mind, now I get it) I'll be slow guy in the back that laughs at a joke 30 secs later...

lol at the tying laces jokes. When I tie my skates now (which is seldom) I never realized it was aerobic exercise before. I try to tie those things, then sit up straight, catch a breath, keep tying. By the time I tie them I wonder if I want to untie them.. Life is harder with a small tire.

Reactions: RattsSSV

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
I read every ones posts prior to watching, didn't think the pacing was that bad, and you barely looked at the clip board. It didn't seem like your first time, good job Mowzie.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
How does a newbie break into this as a sideline. I don't care about any money; I'd just like to give it a go and see what happens. I'm very comfy with a mic but this is different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->