My First Take on Versuses : Ryan Kesler vs. Kyle Chipchura

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hi!

Honestly, I haven't seen much on Kesler, except for the WJC, but it's about the same from Chipchura, too. Both are center, both aren't top-notch offensive talent, and both were somewhat "safe" picks for their organization in their respective draft class. I know Kesler is older and NHL proven, but I think those 2 guys are somewhat alike, at least from what I've heard of them.

Opinions?

Vic Rattlehead*

I'd say that Kesler can have the better offensive game, but they do compare with each other. I can't honestly say which will be the better out of the two in the future.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Kesler would win almost any comparison of course as their very similar players, and Kesler is clearly NHL proven whilst Chipchura has yet to play even a quarter season at the AHL level. Significate disparity in caliber of competition.

Setting that aside... their largely similar, both defensive Centers with limited offensive upside. Based on one I've seen so far I'd say Kesler probably has the edge there but I don't expect either to really be much of an impact offensively.
Both have a strong work ethic, with solid leadership skills.... really not a whole lot to choose between.

Kesler is a much better skater IMO, and has somewhat more offensive upside. He's obviously proven against a much higher level of competition.
Chipchura would appear to have the stronger reputation/background as a captain/leader.
I doubt there will be a huge difference between them long term, but I'd solidly lean towards Kesler however small the difference is.

Better off asking this question in another year, we'll have a better gauge of how Chipchura handles the AHL and whether Kesler shows continued improvement in his offensive game. Right now Chipchura is at a clear disadvantage in the comparison.

They'll probably both end up good defensive 3rd line Centers, better then most but not good enough to ever really be noteable name players.
Think of a guy like Mike Sillinger and that's about where I figure they'll end up.

Transported Upstater

When I first clicked on this, I saw the "Ryan Kesler v.s. Kyle ", and my first thought was "UGH, another Wellwood comparison!?!?"

Glad to see I was wrong.

Anyways, aren't comparison threads supposed to be in the "Poll" section now?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Kesler has 20 goal potential. He showed some good offensive instincts in the second half of the season.

vcx*

I like Chipchura, i think in the long run Kyle will be a better player. I like Kesler but not that much right now.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
I like Chipchura, i think in the long run Kyle will be a better player. I like Kesler but not that much right now.

As with all Canuck fans at the moment.. although you can't blame the kid for wanting more $$$.

But still, his demands were unbelievable, before the offer sheet he wanted upwards of 1.2-1.5 million, for a 22 yr old scoring 10 goals, who also didn't break 5 assists till almost 3 quarters thru the season.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Kesler would win almost any comparison of course as their very similar players, and Kesler is clearly NHL proven whilst Chipchura has yet to play even a quarter season at the AHL level. Significate disparity in caliber of competition.

You pretty much nailed it here.

IMO this will be a better comparison after Chipchura plays a full NHL season.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
As with all Canuck fans at the moment.. although you can't blame the kid for wanting more $$$.

But still, his demands were unbelievable, before the offer sheet he wanted upwards of 1.2-1.5 million, for a 22 yr old scoring 10 goals, who also didn't break 5 assists till almost 3 quarters thru the season.
I looked on TSN that they were on the verge to sign a 2 years deal for 825K/875K.

But it's incredible, the asking price for a young defensive minded forward will skyrocket. Higgins will not be easy to sign for the Habs, I don't think he ask anything lower than Kesler's offer.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
There is one thing with Chipchura though, practically every year he gets a freak accident and never actually gets the chance to show what he's capable offensively, at the rookie camp he was the best playmaker of all our rookies. Everywhere he's been he was supose to be just a really good defensive center. Look at the WJC, he started as the captain of the team who played on the 3rd, 4th line an he endend up laying on the powerplay at the end. His potential is really a mistery to me, the only thing certain is his leadership, maturaty and defensive awarness of the game

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
practically every year he gets a freak accident and never actually gets the chance to show what he's capable offensively,

If by every year you mean once, then I agree. I know he's had his fair share of injuries (groin, shoulder?) but he's only had one freak accident which is very far from "practically every year".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->