My First Mock Draft

• Thread starter Rather Gingerly 1*
  • Start date

Rather Gingerly 1*

This is my first mock draft in about 5 years. I use to do them every year but it takes so much time....never had the time before. Comments?

1 – St. Louis – Eric Johnson D USA – Franchise defenseman. Don’t be surprised if St. Louis trades this pick though. As they already have depth in young rearguards and need help in many other areas.

2 – Pittsburgh – Jordan Staal C OHL – A franchise center, kind of a cross between Joe Thornton and Jason Arnott. Is almost a full year younger than most draftees as he had a late birthday.

3 – Chicago – Jonathan Toews C ND – Hawks agree to pass on Kessel and take the two way center instead.

4 – Washington – Phil Kessel C USA – The playmaking center the Caps will need to play with Oveckin.

5 – Boston – Nicklas Backstrom C Sweden –

6 – Columbus – Bryan Little C Barrie – The Blue Jackets get the best pure goal scorer in the draft. Had concussion problems in the past but they should not to be worried about.

7 – NY Islanders Derrick Brassard – C QMJHL – The Isles take the offensive center from the Quebec League. Knock on him is his size at 174 lbs and is actually a year older then most other draftees.

8 – Phoenix – Patrick Berglund C Sweden – Phoenix has a history of going off the board. This pick is not off the board but a mild surprise. Berglund had a great U18 and came on strong late.

9 – Minnesota – Peter Mueller C USA – The Wild feel lucky to for him to be still available at 9th overall. But I think he is overrated.

10 – Florida – Chris Stewart – RW OHL - Florida keeps it all in the family. Stewart is a brother to Anthony and plays a similar game.

11 – Los Angeles – Kyle Okposo RW USHL.

12 – Atlanta – Michael Frolik RW Czech –

13 – Toronto – Bob Sanguinetti D OHL – Leafs pick up the one dimensional defenseman from the OHL.

14 – Vancouver – James Sheppard LW QMJHL – The Caps are unable to pass on the power forward.

15 – Tampa Bay – Nigel Williams D USA – The second rated d-man in the draft. Has great size that is for sure.

16 – Montreal – Chris Summers D USA – A cross between A. Markov and Dandenault. Arguably the best skater in the draft, he is smart defensively and is mentally tough which means a lot to the Canadiens’ brass.

17 – Minn (via Edmonton) – Jiri Tlusty LW Czech – The Wild are surprised to see Tlusty still available. This pick is via the Roloson trade.

18 – Colorado – Ivan Vishnevsky D QMJHL – The Avs pick up a bit of a wild card d-man.

19 – Anaheim – Jonathan Bernier G QMJHL, - Ducks are a little thin in net prospects and follow their luck with Giguere by taking another Quebec goalie.

20 – San Jose – Cory Emmerton C OHL – A solid offensive center, has many intangibles.

21 – NY Rangers – Dennis Persson D Sweden – The Rangers get an underrated d-man.

22 – Philadelphia – Ryan White C WHL – Clarkie loves these gritty, two-way dependable centers.

23 – Nashville – Francois Bouchard LW QMJHL – The Preds take the playmaking winger of brother Pierre Marc.

24 – Buffalo –Ty Wishart D WHL. The Sabres pick up a steady, defensive defenseman, which has been their trade mark.

25 – New Jersey - David Fischer D USHS – Conte adds a good d-man prospect.

26 – Calgary – Nick Foligno LW OHL – Gritty, good work ethic, decent offensively, in other words right up Sutter’s alley.

27 – Dallas – Mark Mitera D USA – The Stars pick up the big, steady US defender.

28 – Ottawa – Vladimir Zharkov RW – Sens take the high skilled Russian.

29 – Detroit – Mike Forney LW USHS – Wings take the highly touted high school star.

30 – St. Louis (via Carolina) – Ondreu Fiala Czech – Blues need depth down the middle.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
#23 belongs to WAS in the Witt trade, doubt they would look at another LW. Need centers, RW, goalies. Well guess they need anything but LW's.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Taranis_24 said:
#23 belongs to WAS in the Witt trade, doubt they would look at another LW. Need centers, RW, goalies. Well guess they need anything but LW's.

That will change things...lol.

Teams won't be drafting for need at that point.

Thanks though...THN Draft Preview missed that also.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
This is my first mock draft in about 5 years. I use to do them every year but it takes so much time....never had the time before. Comments?

1 – St. Louis – Eric Johnson D USA – Franchise defenseman. Don’t be surprised if St. Louis trades this pick though. As they already have depth in young rearguards and need help in many other areas.

2 – Pittsburgh – Jordan Staal C OHL – A franchise center, kind of a cross between Joe Thornton and Jason Arnott. Is almost a full year younger than most draftees as he had a late birthday.

3 – Chicago – Jonathan Toews C ND – Hawks agree to pass on Kessel and take the two way center instead.

4 – Washington – Phil Kessel C USA – The playmaking center the Caps will need to play with Oveckin.

5 – Boston – Nicklas Backstrom C Sweden –

6 – Columbus – Bryan Little C Barrie – The Blue Jackets get the best pure goal scorer in the draft. Had concussion problems in the past but they should not to be worried about.

7 – NY Islanders Derrick Brassard – C QMJHL – The Isles take the offensive center from the Quebec League. Knock on him is his size at 174 lbs and is actually a year older then most other draftees.

8 – Phoenix – Patrick Berglund C Sweden – Phoenix has a history of going off the board. This pick is not off the board but a mild surprise. Berglund had a great U18 and came on strong late.

9 – Minnesota – Peter Mueller C USA – The Wild feel lucky to for him to be still available at 9th overall. But I think he is overrated.

10 – Florida – Chris Stewart – RW OHL - Florida keeps it all in the family. Stewart is a brother to Anthony and plays a similar game.

11 – Los Angeles – Kyle Okposo RW USHL.

12 – Atlanta – Michael Frolik RW Czech –

13 – Toronto – Bob Sanguinetti D OHL – Leafs pick up the one dimensional defenseman from the OHL.

14 – Vancouver – James Sheppard LW QMJHL – The Caps are unable to pass on the power forward.

15 – Tampa Bay – Nigel Williams D USA – The second rated d-man in the draft. Has great size that is for sure.

16 – Montreal – Chris Summers D USA – A cross between A. Markov and Dandenault. Arguably the best skater in the draft, he is smart defensively and is mentally tough which means a lot to the Canadiens’ brass.

17 – Minn (via Edmonton) – Jiri Tlusty LW Czech – The Wild are surprised to see Tlusty still available. This pick is via the Roloson trade.

18 – Colorado – Ivan Vishnevsky D QMJHL – The Avs pick up a bit of a wild card d-man.

19 – Anaheim – Jonathan Bernier G QMJHL, - Ducks are a little thin in net prospects and follow their luck with Giguere by taking another Quebec goalie.

20 – San Jose – Cory Emmerton C OHL – A solid offensive center, has many intangibles.

21 – NY Rangers – Dennis Persson D Sweden – The Rangers get an underrated d-man.

22 – Philadelphia – Ryan White C WHL – Clarkie loves these gritty, two-way dependable centers.

23 – Nashville – Francois Bouchard LW QMJHL – The Preds take the playmaking winger of brother Pierre Marc.

24 – Buffalo –Ty Wishart D WHL. The Sabres pick up a steady, defensive defenseman, which has been their trade mark.

25 – New Jersey - David Fischer D USHS – Conte adds a good d-man prospect.

26 – Calgary – Nick Foligno LW OHL – Gritty, good work ethic, decent offensively, in other words right up Sutter’s alley.

27 – Dallas – Mark Mitera D USA – The Stars pick up the big, steady US defender.

28 – Ottawa – Vladimir Zharkov RW – Sens take the high skilled Russian.

29 – Detroit – Mike Forney LW USHS – Wings take the highly touted high school star.

30 – St. Louis (via Carolina) – Ondreu Fiala Czech – Blues need depth down the middle.

Good mock, but why are the nucks called the caps in your mock lol.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Rather Gingerly 1 said:

i'll speak up for Florida fans. Just because they drafted his brother doesn't mean they will draft him

Rather Gingerly 1*

boredmale said:
i'll speak up for Florida fans. Just because they drafted his brother doesn't mean they will draft him

Not necessarily but he will be close to 10 th overall

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I'm still not sure why people expect the Rangers to take a D-man in the 1st round (unless he is an overwhelming BPA.) It's no secret the Rangers have expressed interest in (a) getting elite talent at the forward position, and (b) wish to move up in the draft, so much that they could be willing to use Montoya as bait. If anything, the Rangers are likely to take a chance on a high-risk, high-reward player, especially since they've accumulated depth in their system.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
jas said:
I'm still not sure why people expect the Rangers to take a D-man in the 1st round (unless he is an overwhelming BPA.) It's no secret the Rangers have expressed interest in (a) getting elite talent at the forward position, and (b) wish to move up in the draft, so much that they could be willing to use Montoya as bait. If anything, the Rangers are likely to take a chance on a high-risk, high-reward player, especially since they've accumulated depth in their system.

I had Grabner going to the Rangers in my mock. But something about him is giving me a bad feeling--maybe too much hype? Either way, I think Wishart is the BPA in this mock and if Ty hadn't fallen Persson could well be the best available.

It doesn't matter if we need an elite forward. If we don't move up we have to take a BPA. I haven't really thought about it, but Helenius/Bernier could be enticing.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Balej's Dance said:
I had Grabner going to the Rangers in my mock. But something about him is giving me a bad feeling--maybe too much hype? Either way, I think Wishart is the BPA in this mock and if Ty hadn't fallen Persson could well be the best available.

It doesn't matter if we need an elite forward. If we don't move up we have to take a BPA. I haven't really thought about it, but Helenius/Bernier could be enticing.

Here's what I think could happen -

1) the Rangers use Montoya as a chip to get the center they want in the top ten

2) the Rangers move up to grab Berglund

3) the Rangers stay where they are and take Forney

4) the Rangers move down, get an extra pick and take someone like Fiala or Anisimov

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
Rather Gingerly 1 said:

Havnt heard much about this kid, but I hope the flyers do not take another center, they got downie and potulny and quite a few good other center, we need a good winger to play with richards or a defenseman that is a great skater and can move the puck.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Starsdude said:
I hope the stars take offensse
Yeah alot of fans would flat out say "no way they take this guy" but I wouldnt put it passed em at this point. Really hope Dallas goes the forward with size and skill route.

Rather Gingerly 1*

txomisc said:
Yeah alot of fans would flat out say "no way they take this guy" but I wouldnt put it passed em at this point. Really hope Dallas goes the forward with size and skill route.

This draft weak in depth...that late....teams will be not be drafting for need

Rather Gingerly 1*

jas said:
Here's what I think could happen -

1) the Rangers use Montoya as a chip to get the center they want in the top ten

The Rangers must be after the Brother Staal duo

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
jas said:
It's no secret the Rangers have expressed interest in (a) getting elite talent at the forward position, and (b) wish to move up in the draft, so much that they could be willing to use Montoya as bait.
they haven't told me that.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
Well would you make the deal? Montoya to switch first rounders and pick up Staal

From a Ranger standpoint, it would be overpaying to give up BOTH Montoya and a #1 for a top six pick. Montoya already has two more years of develop over any prospect in this draft, has already excelled in his first year of pro hockey, (he was an AHL All Star this year) and is still considered one of the best goalie prospects in the league. He was a #6 pick in 2004, and should, by all rights have more value at this point. I would give him up for a top six pick straight up. But, I would not package him with a #1. Now maybe you'd see a deal where the Rangers give up their #1 pick and Montoya for a top six pick and a lesser prospect. But, if you're the Rangers, you shouldn't be reducing the value of your assets.

Rather Gingerly 1*

jas said:
From a Ranger standpoint, it would be overpaying to give up BOTH Montoya and a #1 for a top six pick. Montoya already has two more years of develop over any prospect in this draft, has already excelled in his first year of pro hockey, (he was an AHL All Star this year) and is still considered one of the best goalie prospects in the league. He was a #6 pick in 2004, and should, by all rights have more value at this point. I would give him up for a top six pick straight up. But, I would not package him with a #1. Now maybe you'd see a deal where the Rangers give up their #1 pick and Montoya for a top six pick and a lesser prospect. But, if you're the Rangers, you shouldn't be reducing the value of your assets.

How about to the Hawks for #3 overall pick?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
How about to the Hawks for #3 overall pick?

As a Ranger fan, I'd deal Montoya straight up for the #3 pick. But not all Ranger fans agree with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad